Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Mar 2008, 18:50 (Ref:2163271)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Another 'slick' thread

Bridgestone are to test a 'hotter' slick in April testing.Also watch out for fluorescent paint in Singapore!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/66122
Old 27 Mar 2008, 22:42 (Ref:2163447)   #2
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Should be interesting, a return to slicks with the new areo regulations for 2009 should mean that we will get some good close racing. Surely with slicks the cars next year would have more mechanical grip than areodynamic grip...
Old 27 Mar 2008, 22:50 (Ref:2163450)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Slicks again will be good, now fluorescent colors...
Old 27 Mar 2008, 22:53 (Ref:2163453)   #4
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Slick tyres? Fluorescent colours? It's the early 90s all over again!
Old 27 Mar 2008, 23:11 (Ref:2163460)   #5
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Should be interesting, a return to slicks with the new areo regulations for 2009 should mean that we will get some good close racing. Surely with slicks the cars next year would have more mechanical grip than areodynamic grip...
I confidently predict there will be plenty of complaining that there is too much aero, that how more grip than power is the problem, that the cars are too easy to drive, and that they cannot follow each other, which means no overtaking, and all the rest.

All the same complaints will remain.
Old 27 Mar 2008, 23:19 (Ref:2163466)   #6
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes undoubtedly the complaints will probably still be there, but will the racing be closer? If the new rules do cut downforce by as much as what people are expecting and we do also have a return to slicks then surely overtaking will be a lot more common place than in recent years.

Mjstallard - a return to the early 90s would be gladly welcome if the racing is as close next year as it was in the early to mid 90s.
Old 27 Mar 2008, 23:49 (Ref:2163479)   #7
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For sure, I'd go so far as to say I'd tolerate the return of shell suits for that
Old 27 Mar 2008, 23:54 (Ref:2163481)   #8
al_sami
Racer

Bahrain
London
al_sami is a back marker
will the track be 200cm in 2009? How about 220cm just like pre 1993 cars!! I do hope that the front and rear wings are not out of proportion, otherwise they will look like a bat mobile!!

Old 27 Mar 2008, 23:59 (Ref:2163483)   #9
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_sami
I do hope that the front and rear wings are not out of proportion, otherwise they will look like a bat mobile!!

Or worse, the current A1 GP cars!
Old 28 Mar 2008, 01:15 (Ref:2163507)   #10
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
They'd need to take a few more steps in culling the aero and having more tyre development before that i'd think. The 2009 regulations were originally designed to cut aero by something around 50%, but that would still have the tyres playing second fiddle.

I'm hoping at the very least repositioning the wings to how they were earlier in the decade will bring some more action.
Old 28 Mar 2008, 01:58 (Ref:2163522)   #11
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Everything the FIA have done to the cars has been going in the wrong direction for decades.

1998 I think was the worst change they have made in recent times and ive been unashamedly banging on about it ever since.

Wide cars, wide slicks, cut back aero - its a winner.
Old 28 Mar 2008, 11:14 (Ref:2163754)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo

Wide cars, wide slicks, cut back aero - its a winner.
Back to the future.
Old 28 Mar 2008, 11:22 (Ref:2163755)   #13
Another Bob
Racer

Australia
The Land Of More Then One Crow
Another Bob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't start me!

I'll have you believe the best F1 race in history was Nurbergring or was that Monza 1966!

No wings, no slicks, no noth'n!!! Lucky to have a seat belt, let alone medical insurance!
Old 28 Mar 2008, 22:09 (Ref:2164177)   #14
Ogami musashi
Racer

Ogami musashi has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
the day tyre grip will be higher than aero grip we'll have car with no aero at all!

Guys...check the maths.. the tyre grip is a coefficient! not a real quantity, usually about 2...and it multiplies the aero and weight loads!

so either the car as grip from tyre times weight, either the same + tyre times aero, but tyre alone doens't exists.

i repeat it over and over, you don't want aero? no problem..don't expect speed (lap time) to be here then.

about 2009, the regulations are imho good, the thing to see is, will the team really follow them.
Old 29 Mar 2008, 01:00 (Ref:2164253)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
edit
Old 29 Mar 2008, 01:13 (Ref:2164257)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogami musashi

i repeat it over and over, you don't want aero? no problem..don't expect speed (lap time) to be here then.
It's not a problem with me,but some insist that F1 is only F1 because it is the fastest.
Old 29 Mar 2008, 10:16 (Ref:2164388)   #17
Ogami musashi
Racer

Ogami musashi has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
It's not a problem with me,but some insist that F1 is only F1 because it is the fastest.
i am one of those, well not the fastest, but very fast.

I don't see any point in coming a long way from lower forumlaes to end up in a car slower than those formulaes.
Except if you do intentionnaly make the car hard to drive, the speed is the one that make it hard.

And if not on speed, on what engineering will focus? road relevance? road relevance in race is always focused on efficiency for speed.

F1 cars has not always lapped monaco in 1:15, but they always lapped it at speeds near the best lap times that was achievable at their time.

Now that's a matter of opinion..i'm not against what you offer, i just don't think it doesn't belong to F1..what is F1? a concept (engineering and driving to the best) and an history (fast cars).
Old 29 Mar 2008, 10:28 (Ref:2164392)   #18
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
If the regs are designed in a careful way, there is no reason why the 2009 cars cant be as fast as the 2008 cars. They just need to use the aero in a different way, and offer much more grippy tyres for the low speed stuff.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 17:12 (Ref:2177371)   #19
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
I see the slicks were tested again today at Barcelona.

I just wonder why the rear tyres are not wider. From what I remember reading about the new tyres I thought the rears were going to be significantly wider than the fronts.

Or unless they actually can't fit wider rears for some technical reason on the 2008 cars...?
Old 14 Apr 2008, 22:59 (Ref:2177649)   #20
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
We could also up the bhp by at least 300, including chucking a turbo into the mix. I'd be happier if it were upped more like 500, but I would take would could be given ultimately.

That would help increase power-to-grip challenges.

Last edited by Dutton; 14 Apr 2008 at 23:02.
Old 15 Apr 2008, 10:14 (Ref:2177887)   #21
al_sami
Racer

Bahrain
London
al_sami is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstallard
Slick tyres? Fluorescent colours? It's the early 90s all over again!
Cars will still be narrow, front wings will be very wide and the rear wing will be very narrow... they will look odd. Will they have 18" rear slicks? or the current 15" width?

What about the track? 200cm or 220cm that of pre 93 cars.
Old 15 Apr 2008, 10:25 (Ref:2177895)   #22
al_sami
Racer

Bahrain
London
al_sami is a back marker
This is what they should use as a base for the new regs. A joy to look at and very well designed cars. The Jordan was the most impressive considering what engine they were using and being their first season. Gary Andreson got it right!

Old 15 Apr 2008, 12:30 (Ref:2177998)   #23
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_sami
Cars will still be narrow, front wings will be very wide and the rear wing will be very narrow... they will look odd. Will they have 18" rear slicks? or the current 15" width?

What about the track? 200cm or 220cm that of pre 93 cars.
As far as I know, the plans were to make the cars 2000mm wide.

Though as we all know, these plans and ideas often fall by the wayside into oblivion...
Old 15 Apr 2008, 15:15 (Ref:2178114)   #24
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my opinion the pre-1993 dimensions are not enough. Why not returning to the pre-1981 dimensions (215 cm wide cars, 21 inch wide cars)?

http://www.racingsportscars.com/f1/1...-04-08-025.jpg
Old 15 Apr 2008, 18:07 (Ref:2178221)   #25
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
220cm is wider than 215

I'd say 200 or 220, but don't junk the whole current regulations. Change to slicks, a control aero package - re. engines, give them two choices - 4 litre rev limited V8s or rev and pressure limited 1800cc units. By rev limits, I'm talking around 12,000 or so (and that is a guesstimate!), I want to keep power around current levels/~750hp, but make the engines last longer and sound better