Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 8 Mar 2005, 20:41 (Ref:1247105)   #1
RushyRacer
Racer

RushyRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New TinTops Series

Classic Sports car club have launched a new cheap series for 2005 called TinTops aimed at Hot Hatches, Minis etc from '70's & 80's.. Races are for one or two drivers and are 40 mins long for £245, Good VFM !!Check it out on the TinTops link on www.raceyourmini.co.uk or www.classicsportscarclub.co.uk
First race Snetterton 23rd April , Entries now available.
Old 9 Mar 2005, 12:08 (Ref:1247610)   #2
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to your website you only have two series : 60's & V8 - how is this compatible with the other vehicle groups mentioned ? - Of specific interest is whether my VW Scirocco in G1 / 1800 / 1983 spec is eligible for anything
Old 9 Mar 2005, 15:50 (Ref:1247816)   #3
RushyRacer
Racer

Sorry there is a delay on the Classic Sports Car web site but check out www.raceyourmini.co.uk and click on regulations and there are regs for both TinTops and the Mini Sport Challenge cars
Old 11 Mar 2005, 15:50 (Ref:1249674)   #4
RushyRacer
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by josvandeperre
According to your website you only have two series : 60's & V8 - how is this compatible with the other vehicle groups mentioned ? - Of specific interest is whether my VW Scirocco in G1 / 1800 / 1983 spec is eligible for anything
Your car is a perfect example to fit in TINTOPS. To get further info just until CSCC update their site go via www.raceyourmini.co.uk
Or if you call Richard Culverhouse at CSCC we can get you out at Snetterton on the 23rd April.
Old 19 Mar 2005, 18:18 (Ref:1256159)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Any more news about this?
Old 20 Mar 2005, 20:31 (Ref:1257313)   #6
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have a Nova GTE, and a Nova Sport, looking for suitable home to race them in, and this sounds ideal. The Sport is the ex-Ivan Dutton Uniroyal Production Saloons car which Neil Crofts used and was also successful with.
The GTE would be my Modprod/Super Road Saloon spec car which has run in GSi lookalike spec for a while, but will revert to GTE looks the next time it enters the workshop.

Do you have any proper technical regs, or are they designed as very vague to catch as many as possible?

Rob.
Old 21 Mar 2005, 17:03 (Ref:1258122)   #7
Keith Wheeler
Rookie

Keith Wheeler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rob,
The latter!

Regs now available on www.classicsportscarclub.co.uk , or contact Tony Rushforth on 01844 216682 / 07860 727750. Entry forms for first round also available.
Old 23 Mar 2005, 20:18 (Ref:1260138)   #8
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
The regulations are way way too loose. I spent many many hours when I wrote the ModProd regs and still they were ot infailuble and I am sure who ever wrote the CTCRC rules spent a similiar amount of time.

These rules are just open to abuse and cheque book racing will win the day and the race that is for sure. And what happened to all the cutting down on race series? Surely this is too much like the ModProds, CTCRC regs and probably half a dozen others you could mention, just what is the point apart from the longer race, full marks to the organisers for trying but I really do not see why this series is needed or am I missing something here?

Last edited by Al Weyman; 23 Mar 2005 at 20:20. Reason: spelling, dodgy keyboard
Old 23 Mar 2005, 20:43 (Ref:1260171)   #9
Keith Wheeler
Rookie

Yes, the longer races are something different, and they give better value for money, essentially it's equivalent to 2 x 20 min races for 122 quid a race, which I suspect is less than most people pay nowadays in club racing.
Also, allowing 2 drivers to share a car means they share the costs of car ownership too, while still getting a reasonable amount of track time each.

It's a different approach. It won't appeal to everyone, but it might stop a few people leaving the sport because they can't afford it any longer.

Sure, someone could come in and spend a fortune, but if they end up running away with every race and not actually RACING with anyone, where's the fun in that?!

This formula works with the other CSCC series, Swinging Sixties, this is just something similar for newer cars.
Old 23 Mar 2005, 20:50 (Ref:1260176)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Al,

Don't worry your car is too big. The saloons are limited to 2 litres mate.
Old 23 Mar 2005, 20:53 (Ref:1260180)   #11
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Kieth mate, but they will believe me they will. They are called pot hunters and they don't care about a race they just want to win and if they can win by a pole to flag finish half a lap on everyone then all the better.

I have seen it all in the 10 years or so I ran the ModProds, guys spending absolute fortunes trying to out do each other then runing out of cash and havingto walk away. If this is such a good idea (the two driver races) surely this could be implementented in other championships. On that point I asked a good mate well known to many of you if he fancied sharing a TopHAt race in my Camaro and he did not seem at all keen (might be my car preperation of course) and I can see problems there, you need a real good relationship with a friend for this to work.
Old 24 Mar 2005, 07:51 (Ref:1260487)   #12
Chris Griffin
Racer

England
Theale, Berkshire, UK
Chris Griffin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Surely this is too much like the ModProds, CTCRC regs and probably half a dozen others you could mention, just what is the point apart from the longer race, ...?
My thoughts entirely Al. We've already got two Historic meetings taking place on the same day this coming monday. There arent enough 70s saloons to go round. Longer cheaper races..great, but you will need much tighter regs to make a show of it.
Old 24 Mar 2005, 19:12 (Ref:1261004)   #13
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The idea of a fairly open series offering longer cheaper races is appealing.

I'd rather do the longer races and this offers something that Britcar gives at a fraction of the price, catering for those with older, previously enjoyed tackle.

There are lots of 70's saloons. Just that they are spread out over a plethora of championships and those that only come out for the non-championship jolly days out!

Sharing the cost with a second driver is a great way to do it too.

Mind you, take a look at the Track & Race Car Saloons. £135 for TWO races, that's £67.50 a race!

Rob.
Old 24 Mar 2005, 22:38 (Ref:1261143)   #14
Keith Wheeler
Rookie

I forgot to add in my reply to Al that this isn't just a series for 70's saloons - the age cut-off point is 70's, because cars OLDER than that can go in the CSCC Swinging 60's. Tintops is for cars from the 70's to the present day, which is what it says on the CSCC website.
Old 24 Mar 2005, 23:01 (Ref:1261156)   #15
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
With open rules like this you will get such a difference in performance across the field cars will soon get strung out. Can you image how boring this could be to watch in a long race. If you are going to have 'Catch All' regulations to boost grids (at the possible detriment of other championships) then maybe you should concider a handicap system to add some spice into the proceedings.
Old 28 Mar 2005, 21:11 (Ref:1263788)   #16
RushyRacer
Racer

It's great to see that we have sparked some interest even if some think there are a few negatives about the TinTops Series. The main thing to do though is come and give it a try, you are not committing yourself to a high cost Champioship 'cos it's free and we are just rying to give more people an option..Go on give it a go, enjoy the luxury of pit garages,even at Brands, share a drive with a mate and spend a little less money on your entry fee. But don't go trying to buy your victories, because race entry is by invitation !
Old 17 May 2005, 07:57 (Ref:1302805)   #17
grichie87
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Kingsdown
grichie87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TRC saloons is the way to go. I run a Nova GTE at the moment.
Graham
Old 17 May 2005, 08:52 (Ref:1302836)   #18
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
sounds about the same price as Groovy Baby
If there arent any regs as such you'll get a huge difference in performance surely ?
Old 17 May 2005, 09:22 (Ref:1302847)   #19
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It is limited to 2l. And the existing fairly open saloon championships (Euro Saloons, etc) have a wide range of performance anyway. What they do have for Mallory is a full grid, though.
Old 18 May 2005, 17:48 (Ref:1303937)   #20
RushyRacer
Racer

Further entries available for the next TINTOPS meeting at Mallory on the 26th June for £95 and the 10th July at Cadwell for £125. Entry forms available soon to download at www.classicsportscarclub.co.uk or send me a pm to go on mailing list