Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 Jul 2009, 10:10 (Ref:2494376)   #76
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for all the thoughts, I was really looking forward to a great weekend - I look forward to reading the reports and seeing the photos as the next best thing.
Old 1 Jul 2009, 13:06 (Ref:2494476)   #77
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Yeah,sorry Eddy,B&B booked,ferry booked and then you get let down!
Are my rooms still OK Terry?
Old 1 Jul 2009, 13:10 (Ref:2494478)   #78
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob View Post
Are my rooms still OK Terry?
Yes,no problem Tim.You can have mine as well if you want. Just spoken to your host's,they tell me that its 30+ down in Liege but a cool 26 in them thar hill's.
Old 1 Jul 2009, 15:43 (Ref:2494549)   #79
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
No you don't Tim, as Eddy says if you give a VAT number they should not have charged you, this is legal and I have checked it out I do have to fill in a small form once a quarter listing EU vat exempt sales though so GRP should have done that IF you can give them the ligit VAT number.
At the time I couldn't provide a VAT number and for a £5 roll of tape was it worth it? AFAIK to get anything VAT free in the country of purchase it should be for export and sealed from time of purchase until it arrives in the destination country.
Old 1 Jul 2009, 16:18 (Ref:2494573)   #80
davidgt4
Rookie

United Kingdom
Surrey
davidgt4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Usual last minute chaos - tyres not arrived yet... Heading over on the midnight Dover ferry tomorrow so looking forward to Friday brekkie at Spa.

See you in the paddock.
CSCC & PFFC #74 Dino 308GT4
Old 2 Jul 2009, 21:06 (Ref:2495210)   #81
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Just spoken to your host's,they tell me that its 30+ down in Liege but a cool 26 in them thar hill's.

Odd, I was briefly there yesterday and it was a strange "cool" at Spa.
But I'm not complaining, I like it hot.
Old 5 Jul 2009, 18:56 (Ref:2496212)   #82
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just got back. I can confirm that it certainly wasn't cool in them thar hills. Loads of sunburned Brits about in the paddock!

Great meeting, met up with a few 10/10ers and had really enjoyed my second visit to Spa - but no one warned me about the midgies - I've been eaten alive!!

Great grids and racing with the CSCC who made this possible and rumours that they may have a slot for the next few years - great opportunity for people without HTPs but with classic cars to get race at a fantastic meeting.
Old 5 Jul 2009, 19:39 (Ref:2496228)   #83
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Hot wasn't the word, it was 35 degrees on Thursday when we got there and didn't get much cooler over the entire weekend. Despite suffering with a fairly nasty tummy bug today and quite bad back I had good race in the Ardennes Challenge despite it being lonely at times with such a small grid.
Old 6 Jul 2009, 19:40 (Ref:2496804)   #84
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent weekend & incredible weather.

As usual great racing with the CSCC, good clean racing with both the usual guys and also our continental friends from the Triumph & MG series.

We had a slight fuel pick-up problem in qualifying which we sorted by dropping the extra tank, only trouble was that it meant we were right on the edge consumption wise.................so, apologies to all those behind me on the rather slow out lap and green flag lap Made it to the end but yet to drain the tank to see how close we were.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 6 Jul 2009, 19:59 (Ref:2496813)   #85
Mike Wroe
Rookie

United Kingdom
North Lincs
Mike Wroe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spa Summer Classic Contaminated Fuel

Just wondered how many people got caught out by the contaminated fuel at Spa, there were a number of people in CSCC all comers race on Sunday (myself included) who had filled up at either the pump in the paddock or the one down the road on Saturday evening who suffered sever misfiring such that they either couldn't start the race or dropped out early on, even the Corvette that won the Swinging Sixties section was affected but managed to keep going. I also heard that a number of cars in the HGPA race were also afflicted and wondered how widespread this was. It rather soured what was in all other aspects a terrific meeting for those of us who suffered.
Old 6 Jul 2009, 20:17 (Ref:2496833)   #86
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
well, what to say except Absolutely brilliant! Circuit every bit as good as made out to be, just a bit hard on the poor little Midget. Still, we finished, and beat an FIA MGB into the bargain in spite of a little transgression incurring a drive-through penalty. Grateful for encouraging words from other Tenthers (Tim, Eric, Jerry, Eddy etc) and see some of you at S'stone this weekend, drop by garage 6A for tea or beer...
Old 6 Jul 2009, 20:23 (Ref:2496836)   #87
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
I filled up in the paddock with 50 litres on Saturday afternoon, pump 1 with 98 octane. I did the one hour Ardennes challenge race with no fuel problems, just overheating as it had the previous day on Tesco's finest.
Old 6 Jul 2009, 20:31 (Ref:2496842)   #88
tatounet
Racer

Belgium
tatounet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgt4 View Post
Usual last minute chaos - tyres not arrived yet... Heading over on the midnight Dover ferry tomorrow so looking forward to Friday brekkie at Spa.

See you in the paddock.
Only 3 tyres arrived saterday morning at "les Combes"

Old 6 Jul 2009, 20:35 (Ref:2496844)   #89
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An excellent weekend not spoilt by serious holdups in the UK and Belgium due to 'incidents'. Not quite sure the rolling start system was fully understood by all, or not made crystal at briefings. Fuel contamination mentioned elswhere causing miss firing, certainly a couple of nearby cars suffered with maladies of this nature in the HGPCA contingent.
Old 6 Jul 2009, 21:47 (Ref:2496895)   #90
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We ran on Saturday in the Swinging '60's race using the Spa pump fuel and had no problems.
Old 6 Jul 2009, 21:50 (Ref:2496898)   #91
Moosehead
Veteran

Story I heard was that the paddock fuel station was closed Sunday morning due to the credit card machine breaking down so people sourced fuel from a nearby Texaco station whereby it turned out the petrol had parrafin mixed in.
Mike, we saw you 'cruising' on the out lap but assumed you were still suffering from your practice problem. I know the guys running the Pug 205 were asking to see whether they could get the fuel sampled officially and put in an official complaint.......don't know what answer they recieved though.
Old 6 Jul 2009, 22:02 (Ref:2496908)   #92
Moosehead
Veteran

Heard talk of a video of the event being available, anyone have more info on that?
Old 7 Jul 2009, 08:05 (Ref:2497072)   #93
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reports of contaminated fuel, anyone narrow it down?
Old 7 Jul 2009, 19:57 (Ref:2497473)   #94
davidgt4
Rookie

United Kingdom
Surrey
davidgt4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't shed any light on fuel issue - we used the Total garage out of the Blanchimont exit.

tatounet - thanks for reminding me of my disastrous Saturday morning. I am of course blaming my co-driver for the presumed failure in the bolt torquing department Got a bit of vibration on the qualifying out lap and next lap slewed sideways coming up from Eau Rouge, fortunately wheel stayed on long enough to get on the grass alongside Kemmel, before coming off completely. There doesn't appear to be a brown trouser icon to use at this point!

Fortunately not much underlying damage, so once we'd sourced some wheel bolts from a Fiat lorry and bolted on the spares we were back in business albeit 52nd and last on the grid. Car never felt quite right in the race (it had been great on Friday...) after its mistreatment but we finished 30th and had an absolute hoot. The atmosphere throughout the paddock was great and racing at Spa is really rather fun.
CSCC & PFFC #74 Dino 308GT4
Old 7 Jul 2009, 20:31 (Ref:2497491)   #95
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was good to meet the guys as usual, albeit it briefly as we were very short of marshals and I had to get back to post asap. Never found the time to visit properly. I was planning to look a few other people up, but luckily for them I never made it.
I was offered tea many times, so that is a good thing, keep it up gents, I will be back for more.

I found the whole weekend a bit boring, bar the races (am I biased?) with all the 10-10 folk in. The German races were just plain dull and far too long and the hot weather didn't help either I guess.
Old 7 Jul 2009, 20:51 (Ref:2497499)   #96
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should've gone to Brands...
Old 7 Jul 2009, 21:10 (Ref:2497506)   #97
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently,me too!
Old 7 Jul 2009, 21:13 (Ref:2497507)   #98
Moosehead
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V View Post
It was good to meet the guys as usual, albeit it briefly as we were very short of marshals and I had to get back to post asap.
Short of marshals, crikey you should come to some UK clubbie meets I saw loads of marshals all round the circuit and knowing that we wouldn't be doing a slow down lap I made a point of waving to all on the out lap and green flag lap but only had a couple wave back :-( Good standard of marshalling though with prompt blue flags etc. Whilst we were speccying the CSCC Interserie race one of our Swinging Sixties pulled off by us with a broken throttle cable, one of the marshals on the post dived into the footwell and quickly sorted it and enabled the car to rejoin and finish the race. Excellent stuff
Old 8 Jul 2009, 20:34 (Ref:2497947)   #99
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Err, I "only" marshal about 30 events (clubbies) a year in the UK. So I know a thing or two about shortages.
But we were short on my post, don't care about the others.

What car were you in? Braking my mind over that for a while now and it hurts.
And before there is reply from our motly crew: yes, I am senile.
Old 8 Jul 2009, 20:41 (Ref:2497949)   #100
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V View Post
But we were short on my post, don't care about the others.
Where were you Eddy? I didn't see you out there although I felt so rough it was enough just concentrating on the track.