Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 12 Apr 2005, 19:47 (Ref:1276602)   #1
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
Tow Vehicle

I'm looking for ideas/comments/recommendations please, on a suitable tow vehicle. I'm considering an MPV type vehicle, that seats can be removed, so making it possible to sleep in it at the paddock. Do racers use this type of vehicle? I know I could get a transit or similar but I'd prefer something that is also useful for everyday motoring. Thanks.
Old 12 Apr 2005, 20:02 (Ref:1276612)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
My neighbour has just bought a tdi Voyager, he tows an 1800kg caravan with no problems and get nearly 30 mpg towing and 39mpg normal driving. If you are getting a new or newish one there is a version with seats that fold into the floor so you get a completely flat low interior at the back. Most racers fall into two catogories however. those that own a tent and those that own a motorhome.
Old 12 Apr 2005, 21:30 (Ref:1276677)   #3
Craig NOVA
Rookie

Craig NOVA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am also currently considering what to buy - I currently have a VW motor home (camper) this was idea when just me and the misis but we now have a little one too.

I was thinking a crew cab pick up (Nissan Navaro type) pleanty room for spares/tyres tools etc and people. and i guess it is a tent for sleeping from now on.
Old 13 Apr 2005, 00:51 (Ref:1276766)   #4
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
I've been down this line of thought lately too. I'm in the market for an ex-motocross van-based camper. Seems to be the most versatile and comfortable.
Old 13 Apr 2005, 08:18 (Ref:1276909)   #5
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I was using a new Mondeo estate V6 until I got a company car ( the new lagacy estate) both are superb, I can get all the spares, tools, bits bobs and camping gear in the back easily, and covered up, theyre both good driving cars as well as workhorses, and in the case of the MOndeo you can get our double airbed in the back . . .stick all the stuff in the tent !!!

which reminds me . . .I must sell it . . .its surplus to requirements now and taking up valuable Cortina space !
Old 13 Apr 2005, 08:53 (Ref:1276936)   #6
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Kia Sedona might be worth looking at as well...
Large mpv vehicle with a good turbo diesel engine and a massive towing capacity..
Old 13 Apr 2005, 08:56 (Ref:1276939)   #7
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
zefarelly, did you actually sleep in the Mondeo?? or you're saying it had the potential?
See, I have a tent, but some circuits don't have grass Donington for example.

blackx, thanks, I'll have a look at that vehicle.. never heard of it
Old 13 Apr 2005, 09:01 (Ref:1276942)   #8
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a new vehicle they retail at only £15,000 so second hand you should be able to find a good example for not a lot of money...
Old 13 Apr 2005, 09:43 (Ref:1276975)   #9
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Richy_Rich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found mine entierly by accident but it's become the most useful vehicle ever. It's basically a long wheelbase landrover 2.5 turbo diesel, but the previous owner had the back converted into a camper van.

Sure it's a bit cramped (I prefer to say cozy) but it's pretty economical, albeit a bit slow towing up hills (but no more so than most HGVs) and when it's not being race control it's fine for trips to the shops etc.
Old 13 Apr 2005, 09:50 (Ref:1276977)   #10
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
we took the MOndeo to LeMans and put the airbed in it . . .but the weather turned so warm the tent was the cooler option, so no I havent actually slept in it, I did have a lay down though

2nd hand cars are cheap, our mondeo is 3 years old, 50k, FFSH and I can't sell it, I'll listen to anyone with over £7k at the moment

Richy, LR's are great, but tis the slow bit that gats me (not comfy to drive at 6'3" either) I like to tow at 70-80 when I want to get home ! (Km/h obviously officer!)
Old 13 Apr 2005, 10:21 (Ref:1276991)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We use a Jeep Cherokee. Not the most econmical but boy can it haul tonnage! And its comfortable.

Got a 6mX3m awning for the circuit (that covers coffee table, chairs and car parking overnight and hotels for sleeping. However its not impossible to fit the car, a double bed and stuff into the awning. Hmm now there's a thought.

It really depends what you want to tow. The last thing you need is a pull by the boys in blue because you're over weight.
Old 13 Apr 2005, 10:47 (Ref:1277013)   #12
haggispeed
Racer

United Kingdom
near Oulton Park
haggispeed has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Hi MarkG - I used a Ford Galaxy 1.9tdi for last 3 yrs and it was great. Similar floorpspace to a Mondeo estate yes but much easier access. I always called it a posh transit, very versatile. Towed my Clubmans car no problem, about 35 mpg without hanging around on an open trailer. Have slept in it but normally used tent or just got up to drive to circuit very very early ! Problem with sleeping in it is you have to put all the spares etc somewhere to get the bed in. A friend of mine did actually cut two boards that sat on top of the seat backs to form a base for the air bed, he said it was very comfortable, all I remember is everyone having a good laugh at the antics of them tryingto get into it
Have now upgraded to a camper, 2.5 td transit and it's really comfrotable with all ammenities including shower, wish could have afforded it years ago, always go the night before now even when don't need to, just extends the weekend.
Old 13 Apr 2005, 10:47 (Ref:1277014)   #13
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I know I'm carrying a few spare pounds but I don't think I'm likely to get arrested for it
Old 13 Apr 2005, 10:52 (Ref:1277019)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
I know I'm carrying a few spare pounds but I don't think I'm likely to get arrested for it
That's not what Tedebaer said.
Old 13 Apr 2005, 11:57 (Ref:1277068)   #15
MarkG
Veteran

thanks haggispeed.. yes, it is something like the galaxy or seat alhambra that I've been considering (although the V6 Mondeo estate might fit the bill). My darling wife will NOT sleep in a vehicle so it would only be a single air-bed I'd have to accomodate. It's really for those times when there's no grass close-by to pitch my tent. I don't know how safe the car and stuff would be if I left it at the paddock and went to a local B&B?
Old 13 Apr 2005, 12:28 (Ref:1277101)   #16
HiRich
Racer

HiRich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We use an Audi 80 (2.6, K-reg), towing a single-seater on a Minno. We've considered alternatives, but it does a good job:
- Good, fast tower
- Carries all the stuff we need
- Carries four people comfortably, even with maximum kit
- Works OK in the paddock (with a bit of planning) as an office, changing room and workshop.
- Totally practical for everyday use
Clearly we can't sleep in it, but we can make many events one-dayers (with decent race times, we can just do Snetterton in a day), and prefer Mrs Miggins anyway for overnighters. We have felt:
- A modified small van, no trailer (eg Mercedes Sprinter): sounds OK, fast, good load carrying, but would need a lot of modification, and not much use for daily driving.
- MPV or van plus trailer: nice idea, probably not as fast (so more overnighters), don't need the extra seats.
- Mini Motorhome, plus trailer: What you gain in paddock practicality, you lose in travelling. Slow, so more overnighters, and long distance events (e.g. Cadwell, currently a 3 hour drive) become major treks. No use to us away from the circuits.

So the Audi does us OK, and compared with most alternatives it saves us time and money. The alternatives appeal in one area, but are all much weaker in others.

I guess it comes down to thinking about what matters to you:
- What's your race car?
- How much kit do you need to carry?
- Do you actually enjoy the camping? If not, you might find it worth considering B&Bs for the most distant events.
- What's wrong with what you do at the moment? How would the alternatives improve your situation, and what's the downside? Can you build in special features to make it really special (e.g. covert the back of the van from car storage to fold out bedding to kitchen/office)?
- What use is the towcar during the rest of the week? Do you have the space/money for a dedicated vehicle?
Old 13 Apr 2005, 12:30 (Ref:1277105)   #17
haggispeed
Racer

United Kingdom
near Oulton Park
mmm - yes I've had that situation of "I'm not sleeping in the car !" but when the alternative is trying to pitch a tent in the dark at midinght in a force 5 gale and it's hissing down with the wet stuff the ol' vehicle uphostery does seem to get a warm and comfortable look about it... . I used to kip in the back of my Mini when I started spannering, waking up at six in the morning somehow jamed between the seats at Mallory Park to the smell of Bacon butties is one of those enduring memories of motorsport !
Getting places to pitch tents in the paddock these days seems to be getting harder too, Snetterton I think is the only place I can think of now with plenty of areas in the main paddock, everywhere else you'll have to pitch well away from your car.
Old 13 Apr 2005, 12:35 (Ref:1277115)   #18
HiRich
Racer

HiRich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having just seen you new post, theft is rare, but does happen. We normally set up the day before, lower the canopy (as much so that it doesn't blow away), padlock stuff we want to leave in or on to the car, tie a cover over it all, and leave a few things in the boot of the car.
There's normally a mate from the series nearby, or someone else camping next door. We tell them we're off and ask them to keep an eye on it - if anything untoward were to happen, we would happily buy them a hearty breakfast.
Old 13 Apr 2005, 12:37 (Ref:1277119)   #19
haggispeed
Racer

United Kingdom
near Oulton Park
Valid points Rich, however having now changed to a motorhome I find the economy isn't too bad, around 25mpg on mine (towing) it does take a little longer maybe to get to the circuits but it's not that much more, Mine is very comfortable to drive but some of the older smaller ones are not as comfortable on a long journey. As you say more overnighters but I prefer it that way now we have the comfort of the camper. Because we have a van conversion (manufacturer not home brew) it means I still have the versatility of a van, big side door and rear doors, very handy for collecting engines or trips to the DIY shop , the coachbuilt ones althugh roomier inside aren't as versatile.
Old 13 Apr 2005, 14:01 (Ref:1277188)   #20
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If your looking at buying new, then you can't go far wrong with the Hyundai's. 5 year warranty for piece of mind and 3 years free servicing and RAC cover.

The Terracan is a mighty 4x4 up there in size with the Shogun, but for a fraction of the cost. The Santa Fe is a bit smaller and then there is the Trajet which is the people carrier and all the seats can be removed. If you want to sleep in it, then it has to be the Trajet. It is massive inside when you get all the seats out.........
Old 13 Apr 2005, 17:30 (Ref:1277323)   #21
pjh
Rookie

pjh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For towing I'd say you're safe with a lot of things but try and get something with self levelling suspension, or air suspension. It makes so much difference. I have used Audi Avant Quattro's in the past but they are getting thin on the ground now I think.

I know people who swear by Range Rovers too. I'm not sure what other stuff has that sort of thing as standard.

Only other thought is that it's worth using a boot liner, the boxes of tools and spares we took for the Alfa soon made a mess of the thing, and the smell of gearbox oil in the carpet takes a while to get out!!

P.
Old 13 Apr 2005, 19:02 (Ref:1277413)   #22
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to use a 1998 Iveco Turbo Daily 35-10, ruddy great big van. Crew-cab which thus carries 6 people. Though it may not be the fastest van in it's class (flat out at 80...) it'll tow a saloon happily all day long at 65-70...errrr did I say that... and you hardly know that the trailer's there!

Fuel consumption is hardly changed from running solo, or with trailer - about 23-24mpg. And in the back, there's tons of room for spares or a couple of beds!!

Wanna buy it? I still have it.

I've replaced the Daily with a Sprinter for work, and will be using an American Motorhome this year.

Private plate (subject to price!), average mileage, regularly serviced, reliable, and cheap.

PM me if you're interested.

Rob.
Old 13 Apr 2005, 19:29 (Ref:1277443)   #23
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
topwelshman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a freelander V6 Auto! At best i used to get 6mpg
Old 13 Apr 2005, 19:31 (Ref:1277445)   #24
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
topwelshman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Walshy]If your looking at buying new, then you can't go far wrong with the Hyundai's. 5 year warranty for piece of mind and 3 years free servicing and RAC cover.

he'll need it as well if he buys one of those!
Old 13 Apr 2005, 21:41 (Ref:1277567)   #25
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I have an old 1990 3.9 Range Rover, juicy you may say but this baby has a gas conversion and works out cheaper to run than my 2 litre Omega and it has an incredable towing rating of 3800kls I believe, far greater than the 1800kls of a SWB Transit which is strictly speaking too light to tow one of my Chevys and at 36.9p a litre for gas in Sainsburys it cuts it for me.