Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 10 May 2005, 00:44 (Ref:1297129)   #1
Rubinho
Racer

United Kingdom
Cambridge, UK
Rubinho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Magnetic race numbers

I'm looking for a set of temporary race numbers for my car which won't ruin the paintwork. Was thinking that a set of large magnetic numbers would be great for this. I've done the usual Google and eBay searching but I can't find anything to suit.

Where might I find a set of large (>300mm in height), white (car's black), magnetic numbers?

Cheers all!
Old 10 May 2005, 06:44 (Ref:1297255)   #2
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
try looking up signwriters
Old 10 May 2005, 17:39 (Ref:1297666)   #3
RushyRacer
Racer

RushyRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vinyl Graphics companies often offer the service of printing your vinyl graphic sign on to a magnetic background to go onto the side of your white transit or transit pick up with lots of conifer tree cuttings in the back, so that when you go to tip the load down a quiet country lane you can remove the sign beforehand...may have been seen alot in Cambridgeshire !!!But seriously though try sign graphics companies !!
Old 10 May 2005, 19:02 (Ref:1297721)   #4
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But check the blue book first. Are you meant to have a white backing with black numbers? When I ran a white car with black numbers, several scrutineers made me put a black oblong tape border around the numbers about the size of a backing piece "so the timekeepers can see them properly". Strange breed, scrutineers.

A big oblong of white magnetic material (local signwriters) and put the sticky black numbers on the backing. That's the best answer.
Old 10 May 2005, 19:33 (Ref:1297751)   #5
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I have a sign business and can do the above bit I would not really recommend it as they can fly off at high speed. Also is there not something in the Blue Book about 'Temporary Part' (not sure). A better solution I have done for drivers is to have a white rectangle of magnetic material and use that to cover the numbers on the car when the vehicle is taken on the road. Also I can supply a 1 year removable vinyl which will not damage the car if not left on too long.
Old 10 May 2005, 21:28 (Ref:1297829)   #6
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A tip for you whatever way you decide to go. use some masking type tape on the leading edge. It helps stop the edge getting lifted by the wind. (black electrical tape for numbers)
Old 10 May 2005, 22:07 (Ref:1297872)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Yes that works as well flagwaver, good tip.
Old 18 May 2005, 15:58 (Ref:1303855)   #8
graham blackwell
Rookie

graham blackwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can make you a set of 'digits' which you can arrange to make whatever numbers you like. £40 for the set, and tested up to speeds of 110 MPH with no losses so far. Black or white, your choice.