Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 23 Jul 2012, 09:21 (Ref:3110200)   #2426
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i prefer sky during the race because i really do like crofty's style of commentary. but i watched about 20 mins pre-race where they were just doing the pre-match game of two halves style football waffle about how exciting the race was going to be and it did my head in.

i like lee as a highlights programme anchor - she's got the right kind of... gravitas is the wrong word but she has a good strong presence on screen.

this is going to sound really girly (and possibly be a bit controversial), but i'd actually like to see her in heels and being a commanding excellent presenter but in a very feminine context. i think it's important to show it can be done - as a woman you don't *have* to act like one of the lads and wear flats and sensible boots when you don't need to. for all the flak she gets for the odd repetitive question - frankly guys, you try and think of other things to ask bored and frustrated racing drivers - she's a very very good sports presenter, particularly in the context of the fluff that sky promote to front all aspects of their coverage.
Yes she does seem pretty good, but what about that rather sickly permagrin she always wears??!!! Just a tad annoying?
Old 23 Jul 2012, 11:54 (Ref:3110271)   #2427
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
mate, it's telly, you have to be cheerful on telly. if she wasn't you'd be grumbling that just cause she's scottish doesn't mean she has to be miserable too
Old 23 Jul 2012, 17:26 (Ref:3110428)   #2428
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
She comes into her own as a presenter but as a reporter she's extraordinarily restricted. She has a tiny number of stock questions and, well, that's 'bout it. American pit-reporters are usually much more dynamic save a few clangers like a certain veteran reporter issuing Stirling Moss with a death certificate.

American announcers and producers, who are almost uniformly disastrous, urgently need to go to boot camp by their British counterparts but American pit reporters can teach their British opposite numbers a thing or two about investigation and variety in their questions. [In defence of the British of course, the Americans have the luxury of just one televised broadcaster per meeting whereas an F1 race you have a pack of them]
Old 23 Jul 2012, 18:21 (Ref:3110451)   #2429
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the race was so dull this week the BBC highlights didn't actually feel like highlights IMO. I got home with 5 minutes to spare and turned on the Beeb and was fairly happy with the quality. Quite enjoyed the quick build up with not too much dross and fillers. A few interviews from the key drivers and straight into the action. With the weather being so nice yesterday, it was great value.
Old 23 Jul 2012, 18:35 (Ref:3110458)   #2430
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
To be fair, you're not even bothered about what the championship leader has to say on the radio, do you're not really into the detail. sky isn't for you.
Old 23 Jul 2012, 19:11 (Ref:3110469)   #2431
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
To be fair, you're not even bothered about what the championship leader has to say on the radio, do you're not really into the detail. sky isn't for you.
I'm not bothered enough to want to learn Italian just to find out he is asking about tyres or to inform his crew he is being caught. I am very much into detail and have been watching the sport for nearly 25 years. Sky is for me when I choose to watch it, but I often cut out the build up regardless of what channel its on. Its not a case of not being into the details of the sport. Afterall its things like that that the more diehard fans amongst us enjoy is it not?
Old 23 Jul 2012, 20:05 (Ref:3110494)   #2432
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think I got the wrong impression from your other post, sorry.
Old 28 Jul 2012, 10:39 (Ref:3112526)   #2433
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, I just caught practice three on Sky although the facility I'm using does have adverts. Because it was free practice it was just like last year with Crofty and a pundit (Alan McNish) describing the action. Then a nice blonde lady had a brief chat with Johnny and Damon.

Will try to catch the qualifying this afternoon and see where the differences are.
Old 28 Jul 2012, 12:04 (Ref:3112579)   #2434
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Ain't yer glad you bought Sky now, I know I am as I am Olympiced out already!
Old 28 Jul 2012, 12:06 (Ref:3112581)   #2435
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I haven't bought Sky!
Old 28 Jul 2012, 12:31 (Ref:3112592)   #2436
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
All the free practice is on terrestrial tv down here but qualifying is only on att 3 hd and as I am too tight to buy a digi hd tele I have to resort to going in the local beach bar with a beer (or two), what a sod !!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 29 Jul 2012, 14:48 (Ref:3113279)   #2437
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I just watched the Sky Coverage with Crofty and Martin. The build up had folks in the pit lane or the paddock and the commentary sounded like two blokes in a box watching a motor race. Just like watching the BBC. Frankly apart from different people; and it was good to hear Martin again, I saw little to differentiate between Sky and the Beeb.

Either both are equally professional, or both are crap.
Old 29 Jul 2012, 14:54 (Ref:3113289)   #2438
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Ain't yer glad you bought Sky now, I know I am as I am Olympiced out already!
I don't have Sky.
Old 30 Jul 2012, 00:08 (Ref:3113490)   #2439
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post

Either both are equally professional, or both are crap.
Spot on Peter. This is the internet, ergo every viewpoint must be polarised.
Old 30 Jul 2012, 13:08 (Ref:3113724)   #2440
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The particular thing that I find annoying with Sky's particular coverage of this particular season of Formula One has got to be Croft's particularly annoying overuse of the word 'particular'.
Old 30 Jul 2012, 13:10 (Ref:3113725)   #2441
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
The particular thing that I find annoying with Sky's particular coverage of this particular season of Formula One has got to be Croft's particularly annoying overuse of the word 'particular'.
For sure!
Old 30 Jul 2012, 13:32 (Ref:3113732)   #2442
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Just out of interest, i wonder what the BBC's budget for the Olympics is? I wonder if they gave up 2 seasons F1 from 2 weeks (very good i have to say) coverage of the Olympics?
Old 30 Jul 2012, 15:25 (Ref:3113786)   #2443
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
It is particularly annoying.
Old 30 Jul 2012, 15:29 (Ref:3113790)   #2444
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I really do not understand the sniping at the Sky team I genuinely find them to do an OK job and yes I am glad I invested in it. Until the day they wheel out old Murray again I don't think some will be satisfied, I personally thought he was astonishingly awful in the day.
Old 30 Jul 2012, 15:51 (Ref:3113804)   #2445
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Muddy Talker's enthusiasm and underlying knowledge more than made up for the mistakes. I like Sky's coverage to the point that even though I have it I don't watch the BBC any more.
Old 30 Jul 2012, 16:45 (Ref:3113834)   #2446
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Like I said, I really see no difference although I have only watched it the once. Now I know it's available I will probably do so again. But I don't think it is any better than the beeb.
Old 30 Jul 2012, 23:16 (Ref:3114013)   #2447
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I haven't watched BBC at all this season.
Old 30 Jul 2012, 23:25 (Ref:3114018)   #2448
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Personally, I prefer the BBC but as long as I can watch the race I don't really care whether it's the BBC or Sky that's showing it.
Old 31 Jul 2012, 11:09 (Ref:3114159)   #2449
henners88
Veteran

Wales
I watched the race on Sky this weekend but recorded at my fathers place and watched much later. I didn't watch any of the build up and fast forwarded through that to get to the race. Can't really fault the commentary apart from missing DC's humour. Watched all the post race interviews on the BBC website this morning.
Old 31 Jul 2012, 11:25 (Ref:3114166)   #2450
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I was at a loose end this weekend (stitches in my knee prevented my usual pre-gp cycle) and actually caught some of the pre-amble on Sky.

It's come on a hell of a long way since Melbourne and is pretty much as good as the BBC ever was (when i saw it). Still, an hour and a half is just overkill - I was sick to the back teeth of F1 by the time the race started!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
outrage, sky