Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Mar 2006, 13:05 (Ref:1542288)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Engine change for both McLarens

Apparently both McLarens will be forced to change their engines before Sundays race.

Kimi blew and engine in Friday 2nd practice, and Montoya stated on Autosport that he fully expects the team to have to change his engine too...

"Oh dear"

I think ive just seen Kimi sign a red piece of Italian paper...
Old 10 Mar 2006, 13:09 (Ref:1542292)   #2
T0MAT01
Veteran

England
Focknowles Weir
T0MAT01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
"Oh dear"
Oh dear, oh dear.

Still, without a competitive V8 available, couldn't McLaren revert to the old V10?
Old 10 Mar 2006, 13:11 (Ref:1542293)   #3
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No wonder the team gets so much ridicule. This is 4 years in a row that they've had appalling engine reliability. Mario Illien must be completely incompetant, considering how the Mercedes supply collapsed when Paul Morgan died.
Old 10 Mar 2006, 13:13 (Ref:1542298)   #4
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

It is really a shame that this stupid engine rule penalizes both the driver and the team. They should leave the driver at his earned grid position and take away a cetain number of Constructor's points instead.

Another daft rule from Max & Company that hurts the spectacle they are trying to improve.
Old 10 Mar 2006, 13:26 (Ref:1542307)   #5
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle
It is really a shame that this stupid engine rule penalizes both the driver and the team. They should leave the driver at his earned grid position and take away a cetain number of Constructor's points instead.

Another daft rule from Max & Company that hurts the spectacle they are trying to improve.
Letting the driver keep his grid slot would open up the engine rules for all kinds of abuse. We would see some teams ignoring the constructors championship and put all their eggs in the driver basket. The driver is useless without the engine so I don't really have a problem with him getting demoted, it's a team sport afterall.

Besides, Kimi, Montoya or Schumacher charging through the field is always good value
Old 10 Mar 2006, 13:30 (Ref:1542313)   #6
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle
You don't think the thought of the McLarens coming from down the grid isn't going to improve the spectacle just a tiny bit?
Old 10 Mar 2006, 13:46 (Ref:1542328)   #7
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
At the moment they're saying that Kimi's engine stopped with electrical problems, which would surely not require an engine change? And it is only JPM saying that an engine change in his car is probable, not the team. As he says, it's their call.
Old 10 Mar 2006, 13:51 (Ref:1542330)   #8
MikeBz
Racer

MikeBz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by N I Tram
Mario Illien must be completely incompetant, considering how the Mercedes ...
Your finger of blame is pointing a bit too far to the left in that statement. The unreliability problems started when the other M in your statement started trying to take over.
Old 10 Mar 2006, 14:13 (Ref:1542881)   #9
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mercedes are totally incapable of handling the job. They've been coming up with the same ****ty engines all these years, I don't even know how they think this boosts their company's profile anymore. Once again, McLaren should team up with someone else.
Old 10 Mar 2006, 14:27 (Ref:1542892)   #10
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh, well, never change a winning team
Old 10 Mar 2006, 14:30 (Ref:1542897)   #11
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by N I Tram
This is 4 years in a row that they've had appalling engine reliability. Mario Illien must be completely incompetant,
To be fair, Mario Illien no longer works for the company that was Ilmor and is now owned by Mercedes.
Old 10 Mar 2006, 14:32 (Ref:1542900)   #12
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I never liked the engine rules but thats not the topic here...

I think it will be a shame if they have to change motors. Its not JPM or Kimmi's fault the motors dont last but they are penalized the most. This will make things harder for them in the 2nd race too because they will undoubtedly have to push harder here.

Again, testing seems to have predicted the way the cars perform. Lets see though, nothing is for sure yet.
Old 10 Mar 2006, 14:35 (Ref:1542903)   #13
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find the engine rules totally stupid too, but we have to remember that Kimi's and JPM's pace is determined by these very engines. So they win with them and they lose with them.
Old 10 Mar 2006, 14:35 (Ref:1542904)   #14
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Indeed with alack of competitive V8 McLaren could revert to the V10 but... that wasn't exactly the most reliable was it?
Old 10 Mar 2006, 14:39 (Ref:1542910)   #15
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
Indeed with alack of competitive V8 McLaren could revert to the V10 but... that wasn't exactly the most reliable was it?

... and if that should happen do they regulate their motors differently from STR's. STR already have an advantage. I think Mac would win the title with V10's. As much as the FIA nip and tuck the "flabbier" the rules seem to get.
Old 10 Mar 2006, 14:46 (Ref:1542915)   #16
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goood heavens I was so Going for Kimi- no this
disaster- will the V10's not mount in i expect... body work aero it all is different..
is this a disaster year?
Old 10 Mar 2006, 14:49 (Ref:1542917)   #17
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Introducing the new 2006 Mclaren Mercedes:

Bodywork made out of chrome.

Engine made out of glass.
Old 10 Mar 2006, 14:52 (Ref:1542919)   #18
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is just getting ridiculous. How can someone honestly compete for a championship when they don't have the proper working tools?
Old 10 Mar 2006, 14:53 (Ref:1542921)   #19
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The FIA have a 24hour rule change clause on the resticted 10's, ie if your 10 is too good in qually then they will slap a penalty on you for the race.

However Monaco could be the one to watch the torque of a restricted 10 will give you a serious advantage on that track. Especially if its wet.
Old 10 Mar 2006, 14:55 (Ref:1542924)   #20
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy mole
At the moment they're saying that Kimi's engine stopped with electrical problems, which would surely not require an engine change? And it is only JPM saying that an engine change in his car is probable, not the team. As he says, it's their call.

The electrical problem might of been caused when a piston went through the wiring loom
Old 10 Mar 2006, 15:01 (Ref:1542926)   #21
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
According to reports I've just read Kimi had an electrical failure and does not need an engine replaced and JPM's complaint about lack of engine power was because of different gear ratios compared to Kimi
Old 10 Mar 2006, 15:27 (Ref:1542954)   #22
Shoe-maker
Racer

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Shoe-maker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r
Introducing the new 2006 Mclaren Mercedes:

Bodywork made out of chrome.

Engine made out of glass.
Good one!

Even in Hakkinen's title-challenging days McLaren were always undermined by reliability problems. Ron Dennis's cars are fast first, reliable second. Ferrari did it the other way round - hardly any retirements during the Schumacher v Hakkinen years but a bit behind in raw pace terms. McLaren need to get it sorted because surely Raikkonen should have romped away to the title last year.
Old 10 Mar 2006, 15:40 (Ref:1542963)   #23
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l
The electrical problem might of been caused when a piston went through the wiring loom
Damn, you beat me to it (although I was going to suggest a con rod throught the alternator...).
Note to self: Check 10 10ths more regularly for opportunities to recycle old jokes!
Old 10 Mar 2006, 16:04 (Ref:1542980)   #24
312T4
Racer

Italy
312T4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Frustrating...
Old 10 Mar 2006, 16:06 (Ref:1542982)   #25
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle
You don't think the thought of the McLarens coming from down the grid isn't going to improve the spectacle just a tiny bit?
its just gonna mean they blow up from 10th and 11th

honestly I don't mind this rule. its not an individual sport its a team sport. Did everyone else have to slow down and let MS catch up when Ferrari couldn't find his tires?

I feel bad for Kimi and Juan but such is the breaks (no pun intended)