Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Apr 2004, 05:36 (Ref:951734)   #1
The Lounge King
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
The Lounge King should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kimi driving for Williams in 2005

Who wants to put their house on Kimi driving for Williams next year.

If McLaren fail to finish in the top 4 constructors this year Kimi may have a way out of his McLaren contract.

It is reasonable to assumed that most drivers have a clause regarding their own performance, and like-wise, one regarding the cars performance. It is not unreasonable to think that Kimi could choose to leave McLaren if they fail to get their act together.

If so, where to?

Williams.
Old 26 Apr 2004, 07:15 (Ref:951848)   #2
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there any source confirming such a clause in Kimi's contract?

Let's remember that, more than to Macs, he seems to be tied to Mercedes, and moving out could be harder.
Old 26 Apr 2004, 08:03 (Ref:951890)   #3
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Why would Raikkonen leave? McLaren may be in a trough at the moment, but with the resources available to them they will recover, sooner or later, and Raikkonen is much-loved at Woking. Moving to Williams might give him a more competitive car for 2005 (or might not), but the atmosphere at Grove is notoriously unforgiving and driver stability not much prized. I suspect Raikkonen will become a career McLaren driver, like his Finnish predecessor.
Old 26 Apr 2004, 12:21 (Ref:952150)   #4
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
True, the longevity of Williams drivers in not reknowned but they do tend to take WDCs. McLaren for a long-term propostion. His temperament seems well-suited to McLaren as well.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 26 Apr 2004, 12:34 (Ref:952164)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
Why would Raikkonen leave? McLaren may be in a trough at the moment, but with the resources available to them they will recover, sooner or later....

I would have said that too, but they're really very deep in the do-do right now.
Old 26 Apr 2004, 12:35 (Ref:952169)   #6
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's nopt forget the extremely positive declarations about Kimi made by Ross Brawn: if he leaves he'll go to ferrari, obviously after MS quits.
Old 26 Apr 2004, 12:40 (Ref:952176)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
2010 then.........
Old 26 Apr 2004, 13:03 (Ref:952197)   #8
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
probably
How old will Kimi be then?
Old 26 Apr 2004, 17:15 (Ref:952510)   #9
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
12 or 13, I think.
Old 26 Apr 2004, 17:27 (Ref:952526)   #10
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 27 Apr 2004, 00:13 (Ref:952977)   #11
The Lounge King
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
It is recognised that Kimi is a McLaren driver in the Mika style. However they never feed Mika any teammate harder than DC (excepting the 3 races with Senna in 93 of course).

A better parallel might be that which Ron Dennis is aiming for, Prost v Senna.

After 3 world championships, Prost left. Don't think that Kimi (and his management) don't see the possiblility of Montoya seducing the team as Senna did many years ago.

Yes Kimi fits perfectly into McLaren right now, but that can change.

If the MP4-19 wasn't so bad Kimi wouldn't be going anywhere. Is he going to deside to wait for the car to come right in a few years and possibly miss out on beating Schumacher? Or would he take a chance to move to Williams and have a go at beating MS in 2005.
Old 27 Apr 2004, 01:16 (Ref:953013)   #12
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kimi is contracted until the end of 06.
The MP4-19 has shown improvement(they both fiished).Kimi came from the back of the feild to finish 8th.The thing that will keep Kimi at the Mac is JPM.There is no way JPM will put up with a dud car so expect Kimi to team up well with him.Given what I heard Kimi is actually looking forward to having a team mate who will push him.

The Grumpy1
Old 28 Apr 2004, 04:51 (Ref:954118)   #13
The Lounge King
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
I wouldn't read to much into JPM. If the presence of a top line driver would ensure a quick car McLaren would have a quick car.

And you're right, Kimi will enjoy destroying JPM.
Old 28 Apr 2004, 05:27 (Ref:954134)   #14
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Will Kimi be driving for Williams in 2005?

No. Period.

Nothing more to add.
Old 28 Apr 2004, 18:14 (Ref:954884)   #15
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Anyone who thinks Kimi will destroy JPM is just a little deluded!!

It will be close though i'll give you that one.

I'm more with the view that Kimi's most probable destination is Ferrari. I'm also getting into the cynical conspiracy theory world that someone, somehwere wants him out of Mclaren. After all when do we ever see F1 motors failing with this amount of regularity and why his car and not both McLarens??!!!

Something weird going on!!

Uh oh, maybe i'm getting deluded now!!
Old 28 Apr 2004, 20:18 (Ref:954986)   #16
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I must admit that although I can be cynical, that one really is out there chunterer!

I don't see why they would want to get rid of him, unless I'm missing something!
Old 28 Apr 2004, 22:03 (Ref:955138)   #17
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by The Lounge King

And you're right, Kimi will enjoy destroying JPM.
cheers LK, you've made my day, thats so funny
Old 28 Apr 2004, 23:05 (Ref:955229)   #18
Shoe-maker
Racer

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Shoe-maker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought Kimi was a McLaren certainty for 2005. If he did go, would DC stay?
Old 28 Apr 2004, 23:09 (Ref:955230)   #19
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I reckon that, should Kimi be able to leave, DC would stay, after all, whats the point in Ron changing both drivers if, DC is more than willing to stay (which i'm sure he is).