Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 10 Nov 2013, 09:18 (Ref:3329563)   #1
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David Slater, RIP [separated from NZV8 thread]

[/QUOTE]

NZV8 Stalwart David Slater is reported to have passed away on his way home from Highlands racetrack.

David will be sorely missed by the motor racing fraternity as somebody who worked tirelessly for the good of the sport. My condolences to his wife Ziggy and family.

Mark Petch.
Old 10 Nov 2013, 21:36 (Ref:3329738)   #2
M3 Racing
Rookie

M3 Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Such sad news. Nicest guy we ever had the pleasure of working with.

Paul Manuell, Kerry and Craig Holland.
Old 10 Nov 2013, 23:13 (Ref:3329780)   #3
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad news. Condolences to his family and friends
Old 11 Nov 2013, 02:12 (Ref:3329813)   #4
GT 86
Racer

GT 86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad loss.

Last edited by Woolley; 14 Nov 2013 at 13:33. Reason: Controversial bit removed, not necessary
Old 11 Nov 2013, 09:22 (Ref:3329882)   #5
bluespur
Racer

bluespur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David will leave a huge hole in the sport - he was one of the nicest guys around the pits and circuits - always professional in his approach and never got the number of hats he wore mixed up

deepest sympathy to Ziggy and family
Old 12 Nov 2013, 09:23 (Ref:3330298)   #6
Starter123
Rookie

New Zealand
Tauranga/Taupo
Starter123 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To Taupo Community:

I knew David from the old Baypark days... I remember when the HQ's were first let loose on Baypark. I can hear Chudleigh Hagget (commentator) saying "who called a Taxi!!!" David was formative in that class.
When all us official fullas (including Bowie - Grumpy) moved to Taupo, David was there.
I remember, on a dodgy (weather) day, at the old Taupo track, sitting in a battered Falcon "FIV" car, driven by Dave, - "testing the surface" were Dave's words - wondering if he was ever going to slow for the first corner - Nup! We went in there, 4 up, sideways, wondering which way we would come out - dead or alive!!!
Suffice it to say, we lived...
I have had many good times with David Slater and my condolences are with Ziggy, Ricky & all
Old 12 Nov 2013, 20:23 (Ref:3330566)   #7
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Doesn't Dave deserve a thread of his own? I only tripped over this sad news by accident. Tough year this year as that is the third of the local motorsport community to pass away in as many months.
Old 13 Nov 2013, 12:56 (Ref:3330820)   #8
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
Doesn't Dave deserve a thread of his own? I only tripped over this sad news by accident. Tough year this year as that is the third of the local motorsport community to pass away in as many months.
He sure does Ray. He used to own / run the shell petrol station down the road ( literally, no more than 400m away ) from my parents' house on Cascades Road in Pakuranga. There always used to be hordes of HQ's out in the carpark each day, and the transporters rolled up each Friday to take them to the next meeting. TRS is the place for this thread I think. See you over there.
Old 14 Nov 2013, 04:39 (Ref:3331114)   #9
Mark Petch
Veteran

Talking about the "guy" who has died, Lyall Williamson, Garry Pedersen, Randle Edgell, Stephen Gillard and myself all went down to Taupo together to pay our last respects to David and offer our commiseration's to his wife Ziggy and son Ricky.

I am pleased to be able to say there was a large turn-out with many faces of I have not seen for some years. Several moving eulogies were given by old friends and family, one of the last being by Ricky who honored his dad in a light hearted but very sincere fashion.

It's going to seem strange this season without "Clipboard Dave" organizing every thing that moved and I, like a great many others will miss David, a true gentleman if ever there was one. May you rest in peace.

Mark Petch.

Last edited by Woolley; 14 Nov 2013 at 13:34. Reason: Quote from deleted post removed
Old 14 Nov 2013, 13:35 (Ref:3331263)   #10
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Agreed, done. Some of the less savoury posts (not about the subject) removed while I'm at it.
Old 14 Nov 2013, 19:16 (Ref:3331384)   #11
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for that Woolley.

Wasn't Dave the driving trainer who worked with former Prime Minister David Lange? He did a great job there and I remember the standing ovation Mr Lange got from the flaggies!

I only met Dave twice (once at Pakuranga!) and once at a meeting of series convenors at MSNZ. I was very impressed with him.

RiP
Old 14 Nov 2013, 19:36 (Ref:3331388)   #12
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for that Woolley.

Wasn't Dave the driving trainer who worked with former Prime Minister David Lange? He did a great job there and I remember the standing ovation Mr Lange got from the flaggies!

I only met Dave twice (once at Pakuranga!) and once at a meeting of series convenors at MSNZ. I was very impressed with him.

RiP
Socram. in answer to your question, David was a lot more than just David Lange's driver trainer, he ran the team and organised everything including DL's diet of Whittaker's Peanut slabs, provided courtesy of our teams sponsor Whittaker's Confectionary. I first met DL when he was a scruffy huffing and puffing young Barrister hanging around the Auckland court building touting for work. These days they call them car-boot Lawyers!

David excelled at this work and it paid of politically for the sport, with DL doing a lot for the sport back then largely because of his on going relationship with DS.
Old 15 Nov 2013, 10:22 (Ref:3331678)   #13
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
HProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The NZV8's will be wearing these this weekend