Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 4 Jul 2014, 21:43 (Ref:3430407)   #1
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Who's Our Best F1 Hope?

Been a long time between drinks,is anyone going to do it again soon?.
I think pre accident Stanaway was the fastest thing around.Hartley's F1 door must still be slightly open,he's super fast but erratic,and I think the juries still out on Mitch.
Old 4 Jul 2014, 22:06 (Ref:3430410)   #2
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd love Hartley to get there, he's a changed man the last couple of years, but the hype has gone and you don't get to F1 without it.

At the moment, I'm not sure you've got anyone. Up here those in the know had heard of Dixon and Hartely, but no-one's on the radar yet. Any Kiwi who doesn't win the trophy doesn't make it into public knowledge, and your latest winner isn't a Kiwi.
Old 4 Jul 2014, 22:33 (Ref:3430416)   #3
adbutler
Racer

New Zealand
Waikuku Beach, Canterbury, NZ
adbutler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mitch Evans is the first name that comes to mind.
Old 4 Jul 2014, 22:48 (Ref:3430420)   #4
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Stanaway doesn't seem to have are trouble finding his way to the podium.. in either GP3 or Formula Renault 3.5. the speed he's shown right out of the box.. is rather impressive.. considering his break from single seaters. he's a chance. he needs a **** load of money though if he wants to end up in F1 :/
Old 4 Jul 2014, 23:05 (Ref:3430421)   #5
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I'd love Hartley to get there, he's a changed man the last couple of years, but the hype has gone and you don't get to F1 without it.
Yes,he had it all going for him a few years ago,pity they didn't give him a shot,he was blindingly fast but sadly erratic,but thats the signs of a great driver.
I've watched most of Evans races but he's not screaming the next great thing to me.
Stanaway however was blindingly fast too,without the erratic,I rated him better than Hartley before his big crash,its wether he can recapture that form again,he's not going too bad with the drives he's had lately,looking promising again.
Old 5 Jul 2014, 15:58 (Ref:3430609)   #6
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Yes,he had it all going for him a few years ago,pity they didn't give him a shot,he was blindingly fast but sadly erratic,but thats the signs of a great driver.
I've watched most of Evans races but he's not screaming the next great thing to me.
Stanaway however was blindingly fast too,without the erratic,I rated him better than Hartley before his big crash,its wether he can recapture that form again,he's not going too bad with the drives he's had lately,looking promising again.
Maybe Mitch's dominant win at Silverstone this morning in the most competitive series, next to F1, might just change your mind! I on the other hand have never had any doubts just how good Mitch is, and if any Kiwi going to make it into F1 it has to be Mitch LIMO.
Old 5 Jul 2014, 18:38 (Ref:3430644)   #7
pukekoheracer
Racer

pukekoheracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
Maybe Mitch's dominant win at Silverstone this morning in the most competitive series, next to F1, might just change your mind! I on the other hand have never had any doubts just how good Mitch is, and if any Kiwi going to make it into F1 it has to be Mitch LIMO.
Yes that is a major boost for Mitch.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114825
Old 5 Jul 2014, 19:50 (Ref:3430664)   #8
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When was the last time Hartley followed through with a complete performance over a season? Mitch on the other hand has ticked virtually every box that's come along.
The world is full of guys who can turn a quick lap, the smarts to put a whole season together are a far rarer and more valuable commodity.
Old 5 Jul 2014, 20:25 (Ref:3430677)   #9
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think we are all watching Mitch & Richie and wish the best for Brendon but there area a couple coming up through the ranks that I have been keeping an eye on, one in particular is Jamie Conroy who ran Formula Ford this past season.
Old 5 Jul 2014, 21:25 (Ref:3430692)   #10
pukekoheracer
Racer

[QUOTE=Chappelli;3430664]When was the last time Hartley followed through with a complete performance over a season? Mitch on the other hand has ticked virtually every box that's come along.
The world is full of guys who can turn a quick lap, the smarts to put a whole season together are a far rarer and more valuable commodity.

IMO Hartley would currently have a better drive than half of the This years F1 Grid and getting paid for it at the same time. Porsche must have seen something to take him on in the first place. Remember he won Eurocup Formula Renault in his 2nd season in Europe plus went pretty close in F3 the following year as well.

Mitch of course is well connected and well funded by NZ terms but has done the business as well. The last kiwi to win at GP2 level was Mike Thackwell in F3000 IN 1986, hearly 30 years ago.

The future has never looked so good (Well for the last 40 years anyway) for Kiwi talent in Europe.
Old 5 Jul 2014, 21:28 (Ref:3430693)   #11
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
my lack of funds is stopping me from winning this years F1 Championship.
Old 5 Jul 2014, 21:39 (Ref:3430697)   #12
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Yum,Yum this humble pie tastes really good.....obviously Mitch reads 10/10's and this spurred him on to win,also I didnt watch the race and he always goes good when I don't watch.

Quote:
The last kiwi to win at GP2 level was Mike Thackwell in F3000 IN 1986, hearly 30 years ago.
Was he really a kiwi?,or did he use NZ as a flag of convience....yes he did race Atlanics here,but he never lived here after he left as a young kid.
Old 5 Jul 2014, 22:42 (Ref:3430707)   #13
pukekoheracer
Racer

Quote:
Yum,Yum this humble pie tastes really good.....obviously Mitch reads 10/10's and this spurred him on to win,also I didnt watch the race and he always goes good when I don't watch.

Was he really a kiwi?,or did he use NZ as a flag of convience....yes he did race Atlanics here,but he never lived here after he left as a young kid.
Always used a Kiwi Passport, and raced as a Kiwi.

If thats the case you had better delete Howden Ganley, hasn't lived or raced here since 1962
Old 5 Jul 2014, 23:08 (Ref:3430713)   #14
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
By the time of his Formula One debut in 1980, he spoke with an Australian accent,[2] and regarded himself as Australian,but he competed, and liked to be known, as a New Zealander.
......http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Thackwell
Old 5 Jul 2014, 23:36 (Ref:3430718)   #15
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=pukekoheracer;3430692]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappelli View Post
When was the last time Hartley followed through with a complete performance over a season? Mitch on the other hand has ticked virtually every box that's come along.

IMO Hartley would currently have a better drive than half of the This years F1 Grid and getting paid for it at the same time. Porsche must have seen something to take him on in the first place. Remember he won Eurocup Formula Renault in his 2nd season in Europe plus went pretty close in F3 the following year as well.

The future has never looked so good (Well for the last 40 years anyway) for Kiwi talent in Europe.
Agreed the future is very bright for Kiwi's right now.

In my opinion Brendon is absolutely as talented as Mitch, but suffered from being sent to Europe with out any family, or a daily minder when was barely 16. He raced and beat Daniel Riccardo who always had his mother, a paid minder as well as his own personal engineer, and could afford to hire race car's and go to new circuits before he had to turn up in the strictly controlled Formula Renault Series.

Fortunately Brendon was found to have an exceptional talent in simulator's and was picked up some 4 years ago by Mercedes and paid a very good wage plus given a company car etc. Porsche hired him because he was quick in sportscars, but they also wanted his simulator experience, as they had not run a simulator until just over a year ago. Lets not forget he also proved to be Porsche's fastest driver at Le Mans.

You are also right about Brendon having a better drive than half the F1 grid who are all paying, or not being paid for their drive, plus he is pocketing close to 1 million NZ dollar's this year. You good say that he is laughing all the way to the bank, and there is more to come from this hugely talented lad LIMO.
Old 6 Jul 2014, 02:50 (Ref:3430741)   #16
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:

did u get my message Armco? how do u copy and paste this from the wiki site like u did here? thanks
Old 6 Jul 2014, 02:57 (Ref:3430744)   #17
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
[QUOTE=Mark Petch;3430718]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukekoheracer View Post

Agreed the future is very bright for Kiwi's right now.

In my opinion Brendon is absolutely as talented as Mitch, but suffered from being sent to Europe with out any family, or a daily minder when was barely 16. He raced and beat Daniel Riccardo who always had his mother, a paid minder as well as his own personal engineer, and could afford to hire race car's and go to new circuits before he had to turn up in the strictly controlled Formula Renault Series.

Fortunately Brendon was found to have an exceptional talent in simulator's and was picked up some 4 years ago by Mercedes and paid a very good wage plus given a company car etc. Porsche hired him because he was quick in sportscars, but they also wanted his simulator experience, as they had not run a simulator until just over a year ago. Lets not forget he also proved to be Porsche's fastest driver at Le Mans.

You are also right about Brendon having a better drive than half the F1 grid who are all paying, or not being paid for their drive, plus he is pocketing close to 1 million NZ dollar's this year. You good say that he is laughing all the way to the bank, and there is more to come from this hugely talented lad LIMO.
Daniel Ricciardo would destroy him in the F1 car right now though
Old 6 Jul 2014, 03:20 (Ref:3430752)   #18
pukekoheracer
Racer

[QUOTE=FAS33;3430744]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post

Daniel Ricciardo would destroy him in the F1 car right now though
He is in his 4th season of F1, but he is doing as very very good job of it, I don't think there would be to many drivers come up against Seb V and do better.

Doesn't say a great deal about Mark Webber then does it... never really rated him, must admit he did have some good days, but not often enought IMO.
Old 6 Jul 2014, 04:34 (Ref:3430769)   #19
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukekoheracer View Post
He is in his 4th season of F1, but he is doing as very very good job of it, I don't think there would be to many drivers come up against Seb V and do better.

Doesn't say a great deal about Mark Webber then does it... never really rated him, must admit he did have some good days, but not often enought IMO.
touche mate......Mark Webber was useless, I liked his attitude, always spoke his mind and not afraid to, but he got totally owned by Seb on the track.
Old 6 Jul 2014, 04:54 (Ref:3430772)   #20
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
touche mate......Mark Webber was useless, I liked his attitude, always spoke his mind and not afraid to, but he got totally owned by Seb on the track.
Looks like Seb has Marks old car this season
Old 6 Jul 2014, 06:48 (Ref:3430798)   #21
Rusty Nail
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
Rusty Nail should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
Think we are all watching Mitch & Richie and wish the best for Brendon but there area a couple coming up through the ranks that I have been keeping an eye on, one in particular is Jamie Conroy who ran Formula Ford this past season.
http://www.nzmotorracing.co.nz/elite...-champion.html

Media Release
Sunday 6 July 2014

Elite MotorSport Academy won by NZ Formula Ford champion

Young Formula Ford ace Jamie Conroy has taken the top spot at this year’s Elite Motorsport Academy in Dunedin.
Old 6 Jul 2014, 08:06 (Ref:3430811)   #22
pukekoheracer
Racer

Great win for Stanaway at Silverstone in second GP3 race
Old 6 Jul 2014, 22:12 (Ref:3431178)   #23
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Nail View Post
http://www.nzmotorracing.co.nz/elite...-champion.html

Media Release
Sunday 6 July 2014

Elite MotorSport Academy won by NZ Formula Ford champion

Young Formula Ford ace Jamie Conroy has taken the top spot at this year’s Elite Motorsport Academy in Dunedin.
Magic, only caught up with that this morning. Pretty good result for Richie at Silverstone but Mitch looked to be down on pure straight line speed.
Old 6 Jul 2014, 22:45 (Ref:3431189)   #24
Rusty Nail
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
Rusty Nail should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, but both of them managed a win and a 7th each over the weekend.

Also WRT the Elite Academy another of our SIFF Club Members, young Ryan Yardley was runner up to Jamie. Congrats to both.
Old 7 Jul 2014, 01:08 (Ref:3431207)   #25
pukekoheracer
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Nail View Post
Yeah, but both of them managed a win and a 7th each over the weekend.

Also WRT the Elite Academy another of our SIFF Club Members, young Ryan Yardley was runner up to Jamie. Congrats to both.
Formula Ford always has been the perfect training ground for future Champions, not to many in NZ have by-passed it