Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Mar 2002, 01:06 (Ref:224879)   #1
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F2001

The Ferrari seems to be the DBs. And none of the young lads mad fools of themselves.
Old 1 Mar 2002, 01:09 (Ref:224881)   #2
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Ferrari's F2001

So much for all the cock and bull about Ferrari's using last year's car. I would not be durprised if MSch gets the car on the front row of the grid, as I had predicted.
Old 1 Mar 2002, 01:22 (Ref:224883)   #3
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The times they set are far from what was the best time last year. The second practice should be more indicative of what to expect. All the other teams are actually trying to find the right setup.
Old 1 Mar 2002, 01:29 (Ref:224884)   #4
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with BBK here...Remember last year, we often see Williams way back in practice and DC up front...but when it comes to quals, it becomes the other way around.

Teams are still fiddling with their new car, learning how to set it up to the best, while Ferrari are able to get the set up ready quicker due to their experience with the old car.
Old 1 Mar 2002, 02:14 (Ref:224897)   #5
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I second your opinion Gt_R, this is the first season and some teams have radical changes in their 2002 cars, which means they will have to use all the time they have to find out the best set up.
Old 1 Mar 2002, 02:59 (Ref:224909)   #6
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shrewdness from Ferrari that I hadn't seen before (d'oh!).
I wonder how long it will take for teams to maximise their packages - for example, McLaren last year took a couple of races to get to grips with the car (admitadly, it was a dog, but anyway... ).
Old 1 Mar 2002, 04:51 (Ref:224934)   #7
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
It is interesting that teh First practice time of MSch's Ferrari F2001 is within half a second of last year's pole. I am wondering what that Ferrari will post during quals.
Old 1 Mar 2002, 09:39 (Ref:224999)   #8
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would be very surprised if less than half the grid post Q times that is lower than last year's pole set by Michael.
Old 1 Mar 2002, 12:28 (Ref:225082)   #9
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In Australia last year there were a lot of unknowns. With only minor changes in the technical side for this year, and with the tyre war in it's second year watch for a new lap record.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 1 Mar 2002, 12:37 (Ref:225090)   #10
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm very surprised by Toyota - can hardly wait for tonight's qualifying session to make some sense of all this. Even if Toyota were trying to make an impression by running low fuel, their straight line speed is just amazing.
Old 1 Mar 2002, 19:03 (Ref:225275)   #11
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ferrari look to be in great shape, hopefully a repeat in qualifying and the race!!!
Old 1 Mar 2002, 19:11 (Ref:225283)   #12
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i think perhaps that ferrari are lying a bit and they are using their 02' car, i mean yeah you notice the difference on the outside but what if they are using the under skin progress? thats wot i think i think its just a PR stunt

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 2 Mar 2002, 00:31 (Ref:225528)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
ferrari are not actually using last years car, they are using an in between of last years and this years (new) car!! so it's like they are gonna totally blow away the opposition when they bring out their totally new car!! (although i have to say it looks ominous!!) but how many times have we seen a team totally dominate in the first 3 races, everyone thinks it's all over, then that team loses ground and the main competitor takes it to the final race of the season!
Old 2 Mar 2002, 01:36 (Ref:225570)   #14
Gt_R
Veteran

Mrv, you just reminded me of '98!

But yepp..there are quite some various speculations regarding what the exact thing Ferrari is using in Melbourne.

But the most widely believed is that the new F2001 uses a body shell based on last year's body, slightly modified for aero improvments and safety regs. Under the skin, it uses last year's Suzuka spec 050, with some engine components renewed and using 051 parts where possible, and tuned to increase power and improve release/consumption. Badoer was doing some electronic testing in Fiorano on yesterday (Friday) that is to be used by Ferrari in Melbourne Quals on Saturday.

However, remembering that last year's Ferrari was reaching its peak of developement, there is only so that can be done. Where the F2001 will stand relative to others would give us a good idea where the F2002 would be.

It's looking good...Mclaren better watch their a$$es
Old 2 Mar 2002, 17:35 (Ref:225974)   #15
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still think Ferrari are lying about the reliability probs with the F2002. Schumacher being "99%" sure and all...

Still, we shall wait and see what happens with the FIA over their new gearbox...