Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Apr 2002, 10:14 (Ref:251675)   #1
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Button decision by July

Reports say that Flav has said that he will announce something about Button's 2003 job by Silverstone. That means quite a lot, since it also will say something about the Williams driver line-up for 2003. I can't believe this will happen - Frank Williams will have two WDC challengers by mid-summer - there's no way he'll allow speculation about Button's return to get in the way of his best season for years. Which means that the only options that Flav could announce are Button is staying at Renault or Button is going somewhere else (not Williams).
Old 4 Apr 2002, 10:30 (Ref:251685)   #2
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I can't see him going to Williams...unless Frank Williams starts to get annoyed with JPM's aggression...but that won't happen, time will heal that, and he is a future star, and Ralf is WDC material too, I feel. So no place for the boy Button there.

Renault may seem safe at first glance. But remember the name....FERNANDO ALONSO...yep, that bloke is currently speeding around race tracks racking up testing miles, and I think Flavio is grooming him for F1 next year.

So, I am sure Fernando will get a seat, and let us not forget the other Flavio contracted driver, namely Mark Webber. I think Mark will have a second year at Minardi - but as for Button - that is the big thing - Alonso will be at Renault for sure, I think, that leaves one driver to go. Jarno is the quicker of the pair, but most unlucky/unreliable in terms of throwing races away. But I think Trulli will stay at the team, Briatorie put in alot of work to secure his services, dating back to 2000.

With the theoretical Alonso/Trulli lineup, where does Button go? I doubt he'd end up without a seat...but where to go...Panis, Sato and De La Rosa and Frentzen seem to me like the most vulnerable seats around...so I would not be suprised if Jensen ends up at one of those teams. I would suggest Jaguar - surely by next year they will have returned to some kind or normality. They must do.

So for me.... 2004....

Renault: Alonso/Trulli
Jaguar: Irvine/Button

But of course, Irvine may retire...he is the oldest driver - isnt he (correct me if I am wrong). Anyway, it's all speculative at the moment. No one can tell really. We will just have to wait until big Flavio tells up who loses out in the next round of musical chairs.
Old 4 Apr 2002, 11:53 (Ref:251725)   #3
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
as much as i don't think that mcnish is really doing too much wrong at toyota this year, imo, i don't see him being retained by toyota next year, and see that as a very good oppertunity for the boy button!

btw, if as expected, alonso does get the renault drive, it is the seat seen most likely for villeneuve to get, if he were to leave BAR, so where do you see him going next year?
Old 4 Apr 2002, 13:42 (Ref:251772)   #4
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't see Irvine staying at Jaguar for another year. Alonso should get the Renault drive, or hopefully he will go back to Minardi, maybe with Mark Webber!!!!!

What??? I can dream if I want!
Old 4 Apr 2002, 13:53 (Ref:251780)   #5
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Button doesn't go back to Williams (and, one must say, it doesn't look like happening unless JPM goes to Ferrari, which is pure speculation!!) then Button will either go to Jaguar, because he's a Brit and can replace Irvine (who is past it) or BAR, just because there would be a seat there.
Old 4 Apr 2002, 15:13 (Ref:251826)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
what chance button going to ferrari as rubens replacement? if he carries on as he has the first 3 races, then surely ferrari have gotta be keeping half an eye on him?
Old 4 Apr 2002, 15:55 (Ref:251847)   #7
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On this point, Badoer Fan I agree with you whole heartedly, unlike our other post , but I think you've named a great Minardi team there, and Alonso would bring much to the team. Not just his speed and maturity, but also his reasonably sound finacial backing, and terrific experience from testing this year. Surely only contractual arrangements, could stop such a great union.

Mr V, I do feel that McNish is a very accomplished test driver, and his race speed is unquestionable when at LeMans against his 8 other teammates, who were always 2-3 seconds of his lap times. His maturity and overall knowledge will keep him there as the oldie, and Salo or another driver will be the younger man.
Old 4 Apr 2002, 16:02 (Ref:251852)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Splatz the Cow
His maturity and overall knowledge will keep him there as the oldie, and Salo or another driver will be the younger man.
i'm not questioning his ability or speed, just thinking that if the next few races don't go according to plan, and toyota have to start making decision about next year, then it might go against him (hopefully not though!)

(salo, if he's kept on, which i'm sure he will, will be the older man, he's 35 and mcnish is only 32!)
Old 4 Apr 2002, 17:53 (Ref:251924)   #9
Mantis13
Racer

Mantis13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If not Renault, the only rides that Button may find are Jag and BAR. I really can't see SFW chaning his driver lineup. He has two drivers who are very capable of bringing championships to Williams. They probably have the best driver lineup in F1.