Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 30 Sep 2002, 13:18 (Ref:392169)   #1
EyeMay
Rookie

EyeMay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grand Prix du Canada--How To?

Rookie here. First international forum for me.

I've done the NASCAR thing for many years now but would now like to spectate the pinnicle of motorsports.

I've searched this forum to discover several here have enjoyed the Montreal race.

Could someone please advise us on our first F1 race in Montreal?

It seems tickets are not yet available. When do they typically get released?

Where to stay? Thinking of launching from Vermont with a Saturday night stay in the city. Thoughts?

Thanks for any insight that you all can offer.
Old 30 Sep 2002, 13:33 (Ref:392187)   #2
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't ever waste your money on the gold seats; the best seats are Silver C, D and F. Get your tickets early, because those are the first to be snatched up.

Don't try to drive to the track; leave the car at the hotal and take advantage of Canada's mass transit system. The Metro'll let you off right by the track.
Old 30 Sep 2002, 13:59 (Ref:392209)   #3
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
EyeMay, I've gone to Montreal the past three years and its great. Its worth staying in the city somake those resies early. I don't have a lot of time to reply now, but I'll get back on soon.

BTW, I grew up in Edgewood in Cranston near Pawtuxet Village. Where do you hail from???
Old 30 Sep 2002, 15:56 (Ref:392300)   #4
EyeMay
Rookie

Thanks all

Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
EyeMay, I've gone to Montreal the past three years and its great. Its worth staying in the city somake those resies early. I don't have a lot of time to reply now, but I'll get back on soon.

BTW, I grew up in Edgewood in Cranston near Pawtuxet Village. Where do you hail from???
Thanks All.

EERO, I was hoping you'd pick up on this thread. Obviously much experience.

Grew up in Middletown, live in Bristol and work in Providence--down the street from Edgewood.

Thanks again.
Old 30 Sep 2002, 17:01 (Ref:392367)   #5
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Depends on how much money you want to spend/how old you are. If you are on a very low budget, and you don't mind minimal accomodations, I would suggest the residences at McGill University. When I was younger (and poorer), they used to rent rooms with single beds (shared bathroom) for $40/night.
Old 1 Oct 2002, 15:32 (Ref:393144)   #6
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McGill isn't bad, there are a few other hostels around town that will offer good deals if you dont mind staying in a not so nice neighbourhood. Some of the hotels have ok deals too, but you have to snatch them up ASAP. You'll find many of the good hotels and locations are already booked solid. But if you don't wait too much longer you should be able to get something downtown.

As for the race, the two best grandstands in the park are the two silver ones beside the paddock just after the first corner. Sadly you can't get into the paddock... There's the hairpin too, which usually has some overtaking (maybe not so much in F1 though).

Anyway, good luck to you in your planning!
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 1 Oct 2002, 16:22 (Ref:393186)   #7
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
By the way, they used to have an open circuit walk around on the Wed before the race. My brother and I used to go together, and they'd let you get relatively close to the cars (if you hop the right fences and speak a little Italian).

Do they still have the Wed walkabout?
Old 11 Oct 2002, 16:28 (Ref:401220)   #8
EyeMay
Rookie

What I've learned so far

Air Canada Grand Prix tentatively scheduled for 13-15-du june, 2003. Tickets not yet for sale. I have the outlet info to mail or fax a REQUEST for tickets. Sells out each year. Take a look at the grandstands and see what you think we should shoot for. Last year gold seats went for $415CND, silver $340CND, bronze$1XX?CND, and general admission $75?CND. 1 US$ = 1.58 CDN$.
My thought is silver might be just outside my price limit and we should choose a bronze. I'm hearing that hotels jack up their rates on race weekend. Leave from Stowe and overnight in montreal saturday night? Track is accessible from the metro stop Jean-Drapeau. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
Don't ever waste your money on the gold seats; the best seats are Silver C, D and F. Get your tickets early, because those are the first to be snatched up.

Don't try to drive to the track; leave the car at the hotal and take advantage of Canada's mass transit system. The Metro'll let you off right by the track.
I'm afraid I don't understand C,D, and F. The grandstand selections I've seen are by number.

Definately going to utilize the Metro.

Some Useful Links:

2002 Fan Guide

www.grandprix.ca/

2002 Order Form

Metro Map
Old 15 Oct 2002, 10:19 (Ref:404632)   #9
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tickets just on sale and I too would like clarification as to the letters vs standa numbers - thanks jos
Old 15 Oct 2002, 10:41 (Ref:404663)   #10
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
don't want to disillusion you eyemay but the "pinnacle of motorsports" won't be in montreal that weekend next june.

wrong continent...
Old 15 Oct 2002, 11:51 (Ref:404761)   #11
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is no question that the best way to get to the track is on the Metro. Go in early and wait to leave until after the crowd disperses. There are plenty of pleasent places to lounge around. The Metro runs extra trains and the whole operation runs very smoothly. May I suggerst the purchase of a three day Metro Card which allows unlimited travel for those three days. It costs about $14 CDN.

By all means, make your reservations soon. Try B&B's, there are a range that are listed on the web.
I would not recommend driving up from Stowe. Its about three hours to montreal and you don't know how long it will take to cross the border. Once in Montreal, you'll have to park and then get on the Metro. Unless you want to leave Stowe at 3:00 AM, I wouldn't recommend it.

Last year, Neil C and his wife stayed at a Hotel near the airport and drove in to park near the center of the city. It was a little inconvenient, but it worked out for them.

At the track, avoid General Admission, you must get a Grandstand seat. Over the past three years, the organizers have eliminated most of the decent general admission viewing spots.

For Bronze tickets, I would recommend stands 31 0r 33. I haven't sat in 34, but it probably gives a good view of the hairpin.

If you can upgrade to Silver, go for 11, 12 or 15.

Within my experience, the sections within the stands are organized from A on the right to G on the left as you sit facing the track.

I usually bring a pack in with food, sun block, a camera, binoculars, a parka and extra sunglasses.

The park around the track is lovely and there are plenty of places for a picnic.

We all get together at the track and for dinner Saturday Night, last year it included Jay, Neil C, eatapc, djb and myself with our wives. The year before, Liz and her cousin were with us.

Anyway, keep posting the questions and you can contact me by PM as well.

Otherwise, I'll move this to the trackside forum where it really belongs.

Montreal is a wonderful city and there are a lot of reallly good and inexpensive restaurants.
Old 15 Oct 2002, 18:20 (Ref:405089)   #12
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Thanks all

Quote:
Originally posted by EyeMay
Thanks All.

EERO, I was hoping you'd pick up on this thread. Obviously much experience.

Grew up in Middletown, live in Bristol and work in Providence--down the street from Edgewood.

Thanks again.
Live in Bristol! obviously not the real one!

friend of mine from Bristol (the original)has done what you aim to this year as part of a 6 months trip across Canada.
He has lots of info on places to stay cheaply and which grandstands etc are good. I will PM you his e:mail, as he is somewhere in Alberta at present.
Montreal is a blast, enjoy.
Most of us will be a small pond away that weekend, working the greatest motor sport event in the world.
Old 17 Oct 2002, 06:18 (Ref:406267)   #13
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just recieved my order form for 2003 in the mail today...

If you bought tickets to last year's event, you can order your tickets now, otherwise they go onsale November 4th. You can call 514-350-0000 and they'll let you pick whatever seats you want (as long as their not sold). Seriously though, the ticket people are really good.

The prices are the same as last year I think... $415 for gold, $340 for silver, $185 for Bronze and $75 for 3 day GA. If you want grandstand 34, 15, 11 or 12 you'd be wise to place your order ASAP.

One thing I notice is that there are fewer grandstands next year! A number have been removed from the hairpin area as well as around the last chicane! Maybe there'll be more GA room next year? There were certainly some great GA spots for the Cart race in August! (because of missing grandstands)

I'm still undecided as to what I want to do next year, but I'll definately be there on Saturday to meet with the Ten-Tenthers that come (and hopefully many will)!
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes