Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Apr 2003, 22:31 (Ref:557778)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brazilian GP 1994 - Senna Vs Schumacher Round 1

Well, it's now nine years since that race. Senna and Schumacher were on the front row of the grid. Senna gets a good start while Schumacher drops to 3rd behind Alesi. Then Schumacher gets past Alesi on lap 2, by which time Senna leads by 3 seconds. Schumacher closes on Senna, and both head in for their first pit stops on the same lap, lap 21. Schumacher has a faster stop and takes the lead from Senna. Senna was not giving up though, but crashed out of the race trying to catch Schumacher. Race over for Senna, and Schumacher wins.

This was the first round of the Senna Vs Schumacher duel, and Schumacher won. It seemed that it would be an intense rivalry, but the death of Senna at Imola put paid to that

The only true battle that Senna and Schumacher ever had where they both got anywhere into the race was Brazil. I recommend downloading the race review off www.formula1onboard.tk Hard to believe that Senna would be dead two races later. Senna RIP.

[Just fixing the link, Yoong Montoya.]

Last edited by R; 3 Apr 2003 at 23:36.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 23:16 (Ref:557812)   #2
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Senna didn't crash out as such, his car lost traction and span out. Senna became convinced that Schumacher/Benneton were illegally using traction control...
Old 3 Apr 2003, 23:30 (Ref:557821)   #3
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Surely Senna just span out rather than "lost traction". He spun at Júncó and stalled the engine if memory serves...
Old 3 Apr 2003, 23:33 (Ref:557825)   #4
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And he also admitted to having made a driver error. The sign of a true champion in my book (one sign of many).

Last edited by R; 3 Apr 2003 at 23:34.
Old 4 Apr 2003, 04:15 (Ref:557927)   #5
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, and another thing that has always intigued me- even though Senna had the best car/team in the field for a lot of his career, when he didn't he still made a difference. Who could do that today? Not even TGF can come back from oure willpower like Senna did.

Another thing, ever notice the lack of criticism of Senna when he won with the best car? Seems we can all recognise a great driver when we want to.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 4 Apr 2003, 04:19 (Ref:557929)   #6
Mattracer
Veteran

The 94 Williams was a "difficult car" (Frank Williams) and Senna had to physically force it to the front in quals and the races. Whether of not Benneton had TC is now irrelevant, because the battle only lasted 2 and a bit races and Senna was out at the beginning at Aida. If he had won the 94 title, it may have been even more impressive that 2nd in 93.

Old 4 Apr 2003, 09:26 (Ref:558098)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That Benetton may have been using traction control certainly does matter in an overall sense. It made Schumacher look better than he was at the time, took the title away from Williams and led to all the ridiculous bans and disqualifications Schumacher got (of which only the Silverstone disqualification was fair, the rest were merely concocted so as to keep the title close).
Old 4 Apr 2003, 14:09 (Ref:558352)   #8
nicker less
Racer

Seychelles
nicker less should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's been proved MS used illegal TC!
Old 4 Apr 2003, 14:50 (Ref:558399)   #9
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The fact that Senna suspected it after listening to the Bennetton accelerate at Aida only for the FIA to discover the software a few months later certainly makes it highly suspicious...
Old 4 Apr 2003, 15:37 (Ref:558477)   #10
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
(of which only the Silverstone disqualification was fair, the rest were merely concocted so as to keep the title close).
Not quite so. Although they couldn't prove it, the FIA (and Senna) were absolutly convinced that Benneton were using TC, and they were out to get Bennetton. When Schuey and Bennetton ridiculously refused to carry out the 10 second stop and go that had been imposed on them at Silverstone, they fell into the FIA's hands. The fact that it helped close the championship up undoubtedly helped, but most definitely wasn't the primary concern.
Old 4 Apr 2003, 15:55 (Ref:558499)   #11
bastinscully
Racer

England
Oxford
bastinscully should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who would have won the 1994 Monaco race had Aryton lived? I`d go for Aryton and he would have been champion that year to,look what Damon did that year he nearly beat MS, I still can`t look at pictures of the 1994 oz race, too painfull
Old 4 Apr 2003, 16:04 (Ref:558509)   #12
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have no doubt in my mind that the Benetton's used TC, just listen closely when Schumacher accelerates out of any medium/slow corner.

It's pretty obvious.

Last edited by ASCII Man; 4 Apr 2003 at 16:07.
Old 4 Apr 2003, 21:29 (Ref:558793)   #13
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ®îjñtjûh
I have no doubt in my mind that the Benetton's used TC, just listen closely when Schumacher accelerates out of any medium/slow corner.

It's pretty obvious.

If they were cheating, then why didn't the FIA ban them? Is it because the Ferrari and McLaren cars were deemed illegal earlier, but the FIA didn't ban them either?
Old 4 Apr 2003, 21:33 (Ref:558795)   #14
Mattracer
Veteran

I'm more concerned with the fact that if Benneton had TC it doesn't matter now because Senna was killed and so was the Championship fight. Sure, Hill got very close towards the end but really only because of disqualifications which closed it up. Adelaide was the last straw that year- not a good season in any way.

Old 4 Apr 2003, 21:36 (Ref:558797)   #15
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe because the FIA believed Benetton's lame excuse that the TC software was a leftover of the previous season?

Wouldn't surprise me one bit.
Old 4 Apr 2003, 23:00 (Ref:558863)   #16
mariov
Racer

mariov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The FIA did confirm that they where using TC...and Benetton was fined...

This was done after the season was over and very low key...

What a joke that was....

Last edited by mariov; 4 Apr 2003 at 23:01.
Old 4 Apr 2003, 23:08 (Ref:558869)   #17
J.McClane
Veteran

J.McClane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mattracer
The 94 Williams was a "difficult car"
yup, epecialy with a broken steering column.

Whoops, did I say that out loud?
Old 5 Apr 2003, 03:50 (Ref:559013)   #18
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It could have been that mikey WAS using his TC,or the cheap,difficult williams was holding senna up ---but very likely is was both factors

As for the fia not doing anything about benetton's TC-the word 'impotent' comes to mind,LOL
Imagine being a lawyer AND the other.....No wonder max does some bizare stuff!!
Old 5 Apr 2003, 12:35 (Ref:559231)   #19
MiniMe
Racer

MiniMe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's on excerpt from an interview that Montoya did with Gerhard Berger which gives some insight into this topic:

JPM: What do you think of Michael Schumacher?

GB: He was a pain in the arse when he arrived in F1! Ayrton and I decided that we didn't like him - maybe it was because he didn't show any respect, a bit like you nowadays.
At the time, I didn't realise the potential that he had. I saw him as a good racing driver, but I didn't see him as outstanding. However, I think Ayrton did - he realised immediately that the guy was special, that he would be a threat.
Old 5 Apr 2003, 13:47 (Ref:559268)   #20
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by nicker less
I think it's been proved MS used illegal TC!
Ha Ha Ha LOL what did you say, "I think ". it has never been proven that the Benny used TC or any other illegal technology in 1994.

The only fact that has ever been proven is that TC was in the software, and that Benny left the TC in the software due to the FIA banning TC in 1993, on that fact alone if the reintroduction on TC & LC was reintroduced at the UK then all of the cars in F1 would be illegal and all of the driver cheats, even that JPM fellow.
Old 5 Apr 2003, 13:50 (Ref:559269)   #21
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by bastinscully
Who would have won the 1994 Monaco race had Aryton lived? I`d go for Aryton and he would have been champion that year to,look what Damon did that year he nearly beat MS, I still can`t look at pictures of the 1994 oz race, too painfull
I would agree that he would have won the Monaco GP as he got pole and he was not physically at the race.
Old 5 Apr 2003, 14:00 (Ref:559277)   #22
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't forget Benneton's illegal refueling rig as well! That one most certainly _has_ been proven!

It's rather arbitrary to start the rivalry in '94... Senna and Schumacher clashed _many_ times in the previous 2 seasons in more or less equal equipment... It just happens their battles were usually for second or third, with the Williams cars streaking away into the distance.
Old 5 Apr 2003, 14:03 (Ref:559280)   #23
ASCII Man
Veteran

Silverstone '93 is a good example of a fight between Senna, Schumacher and Prost while Hill disappeared in the distance. And it showed that the Ford engines that McLaren got still were inferior to the Benetton's.

Last edited by ASCII Man; 5 Apr 2003 at 14:04.