Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 2 Apr 2005, 17:43 (Ref:1268021)   #1
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Error 99 on a Canon 10D

I have been on the North Humberside Stages today and on 3 different occasion I have got the dreaded error 99, when it happen for the 3rd time I thought I would head home. The weather today was dry and very dusty and only seemed to happen when I had my Sigma 28-135mm on.

When I got home I have given the whole camara a good clean and I have rattled off about 500 test shots, using both my lens and using different memory cards with out any problems.

I have done a quick web search and I haven't anything that will help me further. So has anyone got any idea is it just a one off or is it something more serious?

I am going to Donington tomorrow so I am going to keep an eye on it and I might take my old Fuji S602 with me for backup.
Old 3 Apr 2005, 17:45 (Ref:1268995)   #2
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A quick update, no problems at all today at Donington lets hope it was a one off.
Old 3 Apr 2005, 18:25 (Ref:1269030)   #3
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
did you use the 28-135 again rob?
Old 3 Apr 2005, 18:59 (Ref:1269065)   #4
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdr
did you use the 28-135 again rob?
It went on for about 5 mins in the paddock at lunch time, but I have been using my Canon EF 75-300mm all day.
Old 3 Apr 2005, 19:12 (Ref:1269076)   #5
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I know someone who had a similar problem with a 10D, turned out to be a compatibility issue with the Sigma lens which meant sending it away to be re-chipped. The awkward thing was that it depended on the combination of f-stop, shutter speed, etc used so he could fire off 100's of test shots without a problem yet it continually re-occured when trackside.

Apparantly error 99 is Canon's 'catch-all' error, it usually a lens issue but not always, but not always. Have you tried cleaning the camera > lens contacts?
Old 3 Apr 2005, 19:35 (Ref:1269116)   #6
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
Thanks for that Nigel, during my research last night I came across the Sigma/Canon problem. As I say when I got home last night I clean everything twice, and taken the best part on 800 shots at Donington with out any problems.
Old 8 Apr 2005, 09:33 (Ref:1273115)   #7
Lenzman
Rookie

New Zealand
Taupo. NZ
Lenzman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
err99 on Canon gear usually comes up when using non Canon lenses, It often clears by removing the battery and replacing.
Old 8 Apr 2005, 10:30 (Ref:1273161)   #8
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
stefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you probably looked already but you might find some more help on the dpreview.com forums. I've heard the rechipping thing mentioned a few times before - strange that it hasn't been an issue before though.
Old 8 Apr 2005, 11:33 (Ref:1273209)   #9
FREE996
Rookie

United Kingdom
Swindon Wiltshire
FREE996 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Err 99 lurgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
I know someone who had a similar problem with a 10D, turned out to be a compatibility issue with the Sigma lens which meant sending it away to be re-chipped. The awkward thing was that it depended on the combination of f-stop, shutter speed, etc used so he could fire off 100's of test shots without a problem yet it continually re-occured when trackside.

Apparantly error 99 is Canon's 'catch-all' error, it usually a lens issue but not always, but not always. Have you tried cleaning the camera > lens contacts?
Yep this happened on my first 10D at LeMans a couple of years ago with my 28-80 sigma.
Couldn't understand it then and rang up Jessops an complained
Sigma rechipped lens free of charge , but needed to diliver in person ( to wellyn Garden).

Have heard that they now charge