Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 11 Jul 2006, 14:43 (Ref:1653529)   #1
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alex Zanardi's Germany Crash - Video - Graphic Content Warning

It has been almost 5 years since that fateful day. I'm sure we've all seen the video of it, particualrly the one with Paul Page narrating. I found this on YouTube.com that shows the accident from another angle, specifically from the track's security cameras. Towards the end of the clip there are a couple of photos, including one that captures the moment of impact.

***WARNING***

Video may be a bit graphic. Please view with caution. If deemed inappropriate, please delete. Thank you.

***END WARNING***

I have deleted the link due to a request ,if you still want to see the video you can always PM the thread starter for the URL

Last edited by marcus; 12 Jul 2006 at 23:02.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 16:00 (Ref:1653620)   #2
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That Crash I never will forgett... it was nearly to the end of the race and what a thrilling race up to this moment... I was sitting at the main grandstand in front of the pits and all happend so fast... the last what I saw was Zanardi leaving the pits - and next moment the crash... I was shocked and actually needed some time to realize what was going on...

... the good thing is he stays alive and is racing again - what a great man!
Old 11 Jul 2006, 16:06 (Ref:1653630)   #3
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thankfully I missed that race, so I didn't see the accident. I've only just recently brought myself to watch the video of it, actually.

He's a very lucky man, however this is all in the past now. He's alive and well and doing very well in the WTCC.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 18:09 (Ref:1653735)   #4
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I remember seeing that accident when it happened and being shocked and horrified. Zanardi, is a brave brave man, i would'nt have wanted to go anywhere near a racing car after an accident like that. i remeber that he drove himself home from hospital after he lost his legs. Amazing, amazing man.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 19:52 (Ref:1653818)   #5
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I remember when it happened. It was just when I started watching the series. Only untill I read his book I realised how lucky Alex was to live. Sure I saw the crash but I didn't know how close we became to losing a great driver.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 20:10 (Ref:1653831)   #6
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The worst thing about it was that it was only a few days after 9/11. After seeing nothing but news updates during that week, I was looking forward to a minor distraction from the atrocities that I had been seeing and hearing since that previous Tuesday. Then Alex had his accident, and although I was a very big fan of Zanardi's, I couldn't find a way to empathize with the event, given all that was going on in the rest of the world. That feeling made me sick.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 20:13 (Ref:1653837)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bad news, it seems, always comes in droves.
Old 12 Jul 2006, 05:58 (Ref:1654134)   #8
Hein
Racer

South Africa
Kareedouw, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Hein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The one thing that really bothers me (except for the accident itself of course) is that it happened just when he was starting to find his old form again. Just not fair.

Luckily he is braver than most as I can still follow his career in WTCC.
Old 12 Jul 2006, 13:46 (Ref:1654485)   #9
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A truly dreadful accident. I remember that parts of that afternoon incredibly vividly. As I recall I had Eurosport News (as was) on looking out for updates or details of who had won - before the day I had internet at home you see.

The first indication I recall a strip come up on their news bar at the bottom of the screen making reference to an accident involving Zanardi and I remember saying to my wife then "why are they mentioning that? Drivers crash all the time". I couldn't let this go so I was looking around on teletext to try and find out more about it, but no-one was reporting anything so back to Eurosport then. Soon after on one of their quarter-hourly bulletins they mentioned it was a serious accident but details were sketchy.

Then after mentioning that for a couple of bulletins the story vanished. I was curious as to why they'd pull the story and feared the worst. I was actually quite relieved to hear maybe an hour later he was still with us albeit badly badly hurt. It was only much later I was to see the crash and that image of the other car just slicing through Alex's will truly stay with me. Perhaps one of only a couple of motor racing images that I may never really forget (Greg Moore's fatal crash being the other, the only difference there being I saw that one live).

As has been said before, great to see Alex getting on with his lot and making a success of things once again.
Old 12 Jul 2006, 14:50 (Ref:1654532)   #10
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
I remember the horror of seeing the car broadside on the track and thinking "OMG, someone's gonna hit that..." I was convinced there were 2 fatalities. The astonishing thing is not so much Zanardi's survival as the total lack of injury to Tagliani.
Old 12 Jul 2006, 18:03 (Ref:1654675)   #11
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I clearly remember the race was not live on Eurosport and was going to try and not know the result until the re-run on Sunday, so I went to the beach. When I came back, my dad told me that Alex had had a big crash and so I had to find out. It is really one of those crashed where you really gather the speed these guys race at... All in all, it was still quite lucky. A different angle or any different circumstances could have ended with two fatalities.
Old 12 Jul 2006, 18:32 (Ref:1654692)   #12
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was watching it on German TV as it wasn't on Eurosport (and I can't speak German)

They cut the feed off pretty soon after and I was hammering the Autosport website for hours for updates
Old 13 Jul 2006, 23:54 (Ref:1655769)   #13
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
The video was graphic, as could only be expected. But the series of still-pictures that were captured from the infield (and soon published) were horrifying. Alessandro's survival, IMO, was meant to be. Just look at the confidence and willpower that he has distilled upon so many others.

Alex was my favourite driver before the accident, and he forever will be.
Old 15 Jul 2006, 22:02 (Ref:1657143)   #14
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
TedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good article from 2002 on Alex.

I am REALLY looking forward to Steve Olvey's book due out later year. I'm sure he will have additional insight into Zanardi's situation and others as well. I trust by publcation date, they will have replaced the book cover photo with a non-IRL shot.

Link

Ted
Old 16 Jul 2006, 02:04 (Ref:1657206)   #15
BuzzedHornet
Rookie

BuzzedHornet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Said MacDaddy. I too was a huge Alex fan from the day he had his first race in CART. What a wonderful man.

When you hear all the press talk about how our kids can't look up to sports figures as heros, I say first why would you want your kids to look up to a thug on a basketball court and second, look at Zanardi. My son looks up to him as a hero and I support it 100%! He is a hero to us all!
Old 22 Jul 2006, 19:31 (Ref:1662265)   #16
Helicon_One
Rookie

Helicon_One should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordi
I clearly remember the race was not live on Eurosport
Eurosport were showing the F3000 race from Monza which was running at the same time as the CART race. Zanardi's crash was shown as a newsflash after the F3000s had finished (on Eurosport I believe, although I may have been channel hopping and caught it on ES News) as I clearly remember seeing the crash that afternoon and saying to myself "uhh....he's dead, then...."

One of those times that I'm very glad to have been proved wrong.

Tim
Old 23 Jul 2006, 10:18 (Ref:1662636)   #17
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I have deleted the link due to a request ,if you still want to see the video you can always PM the thread starter for the URL
Why? I know this crash is far more brutal than the vast majority of other crash videos doing the rounds but I find it curious the link was removed, unless it was for copyright issues.
Old 23 Jul 2006, 21:25 (Ref:1662965)   #18
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Cut Jaguar
Why? I know this crash is far more brutal than the vast majority of other crash videos doing the rounds but I find it curious the link was removed, unless it was for copyright issues.
I doubt it has to do with copyright issues as the video portion of the clip is from the track's security cameras, which as far as I know, cannot be copyrighted. It may have to do with the still pictures at the end being copyrighted, or as I pointed out earlier, someone found the video too graphic asked for it to be deleted.
Old 24 Jul 2006, 00:48 (Ref:1663046)   #19
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandretti39
someone found the video too graphic asked for it to be deleted.
But you stated that it was graphic content and they still clicked on the link, waited for it to download and then watched it

Are you lot sure it wasn't being shown live? I'm sure I can remember watching it live.
Old 6 Aug 2006, 17:14 (Ref:1675662)   #20
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember seeing the crash somewhere on Eurosport once, terrible crash, I have seen that trackside camera veiw before. Thank god he is still alive.
I remember reading something in Autosport once, I think it was after he waved the chequered flag at Toronto (?) a few years ago. He lost a litre of blood I think.
Old 6 Aug 2006, 17:52 (Ref:1675715)   #21
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He waved the field on at Toronto 2002 Nicky. A great moment to see Alex back at a race. Was the last time Alex was at a Champ Car race; Lausitz 2003?
Old 6 Aug 2006, 18:42 (Ref:1675762)   #22
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, he did the 13 laps that he did not complete when he crashed in 2001.
Old 6 Aug 2006, 18:59 (Ref:1675784)   #23
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Yes I did know what he did there! I was asking if it was his last apperance at a Champ Car race which I believe was....