Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 9 Apr 2009, 20:00 (Ref:2437692)   #1
Chris Wilson
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
Chris Wilson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Donington problems? Is testing still ongoing?

I got held up in meetings today, and never managed to ring Donington to see if their MSA licensing issues had put paid to testing there at the moment. Does anyone know if the track licence issues have stopped testing following their published schedule? Thanks.
Old 9 Apr 2009, 20:06 (Ref:2437699)   #2
Dave 455
Racer

Dave 455 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Testing is still going ahead as planned, you may find the circuit a little bit quiter than normal as the next 3 meetings in the fixture list were cancelled today.
Tracks days and test days are totally unaffected by the licence issue.
Old 9 Apr 2009, 20:53 (Ref:2437726)   #3
Chris Wilson
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
Thanks for the speedy reply, appreciated
Old 9 Apr 2009, 20:55 (Ref:2437728)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Phew!
Old 10 Apr 2009, 01:02 (Ref:2437822)   #5
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 455 View Post
Track days and test days are totally unaffected by the licence issue.
This has always been a bit of a sore point with me. If a circuit's not safe to race on, then it's not safe to test on. QED.

I know the official explanation that gets trotted out on these occasions, but it holds water about as well as a sieve.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 06:58 (Ref:2437871)   #6
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
This has always been a bit of a sore point with me. If a circuit's not safe to race on, then it's not safe to test on. QED.

I know the official explanation that gets trotted out on these occasions, but it holds water about as well as a sieve.
I've been saying this on the historic topic about Donington.

IMO It would be a brave trackday operator to run there at the moment and very brave of the circuit to allow it.

If the MSA have said that the circuit is not safe and withdrawn its licence then their view as governing body has to be pretty persuasive that the circuit is not safe for use. I see little difference between the risks in testing and racing and arguably as test days are run on road licences the risks are significantly greater as the skill level of punters may be lower.

Strider as you know part of the test to establish negligence is "was the incident it reasonably forseeable" - in this case if someone stuffs it into the tunnel surround then I fail to see how that can be anything but forseeable if the MSA have refused to licence.

Wattleworth v Goodwood a couple of years ago said something along the lines of it was reasonable for a non race punter to assume that if the MSA had licenced a track then it was "safe" for track days and non race practice sessions. I am sure that the logic would work in the other direction so that if the MSA have said that the track is not "safe" then that should govern what is done.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 12:08 (Ref:2438016)   #7
alee
Rookie

alee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post

I see little difference between the risks in testing and racing and arguably as test days are run on road licences the risks are significantly greater as the skill level of punters may be lower.

Testing is for race licence holders ONLY and allows timing etc to take place - the driver/team makes its booking direct with a circuit - the days run allowing drivers with road licences only are TRACK DAYS operated by a 3rd party, and does not allow timing etc. So skill levels on test days should (in threory) be as good as on race days. Though the mix of cars and differing lap times usually mean more issues than when cars are racing or qualifying in catagories more similarly matched.

Neither general test days or track days are run under an MSA permit however most circuits' insurance and certainly the AMRCO insurance used by several of the Track day Operators, requires circuits to hold a valid MSA track licence in order for their insurance to be valid.

I'm sure Donington won't want this situation to continue any longer than it needs to, and will do something about it in short order - at least I hope so.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 17:45 (Ref:2438202)   #8
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
I've been saying this on the historic topic about Donington.

IMO It would be a brave trackday operator to run there at the moment and very brave of the circuit to allow it.

If the MSA have said that the circuit is not safe and withdrawn its licence then their view as governing body has to be pretty persuasive that the circuit is not safe for use. I see little difference between the risks in testing and racing and arguably as test days are run on road licences the risks are significantly greater as the skill level of punters may be lower.

Strider as you know part of the test to establish negligence is "was the incident it reasonably forseeable" - in this case if someone stuffs it into the tunnel surround then I fail to see how that can be anything but forseeable if the MSA have refused to licence.

Wattleworth v Goodwood a couple of years ago said something along the lines of it was reasonable for a non race punter to assume that if the MSA had licenced a track then it was "safe" for track days and non race practice sessions. I am sure that the logic would work in the other direction so that if the MSA have said that the track is not "safe" then that should govern what is done.
You have very clearly spelt out my reservations, Piglet. Thanks.

I'll give you a specific example. When Croft first re-opened for racing British F3 was on the bill with some test sessions due on the Friday.

The man from the MSA had been there most of the week, but he left on the Friday saying in so many words: "The circuit is not ready for a track licence yet, but here's a list of work that needs to be done. If you complete these by tomorrow I will authorise the MSA Steward to issue the licence so the meeting can go ahead."

In the meantime testing did go ahead for all the wrong reasons and what happened? The first session ended early when one of the cars, driven by Darren Turner, so no muppet, got caught out in one of the problem areas and went off very hard into the Armco. He was basically uninjured, but the car was very badly and expensively damaged.

To be fair, the circuit people responded very well and the problem was solved by the following morning, but the lesson to be learned from the incident is very clear.
Old 13 Apr 2009, 04:30 (Ref:2439598)   #9
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As someone who was involved in the first post war Donington meeting, back in May 1977, what exactly has happened there to make the circuit 'unsafe'? Sorry, news like this does not filter down to NZ.
Old 13 Apr 2009, 08:16 (Ref:2439648)   #10
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
As someone who was involved in the first post war Donington meeting, back in May 1977, what exactly has happened there to make the circuit 'unsafe'? Sorry, news like this does not filter down to NZ.
Hi socram; good to know that there are still some others who were at that meeting still around.

For the current hoo-ha try http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...=108156&page=2 and begin reading from about halfway down the page.

Regards

Jim
Old 14 Apr 2009, 18:29 (Ref:2440689)   #11
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
May be the wrong thread,but I heard that the new Donnington will not have parking facilities for the general public,they will have to park and drive for the GP,shades of the Dome I think,had the same advisers no doubt so as far as I'm concerned,a no go.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 14 Apr 2009, 21:26 (Ref:2440825)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is a track day yesterday, but to answer the question is Donington still being used:
Attached Thumbnails
Copy of DSCF1179.JPG  
Old 14 Apr 2009, 21:38 (Ref:2440837)   #13
Chris Wilson
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
Rang them today, testing is ongoing as normal, it comes under their own circuit insurance coverage, for which a circuit licence is apparently unnecessary. Thanks for the replies.
Old 14 Apr 2009, 21:51 (Ref:2440850)   #14
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Totally off topic but look at the state of that pitlane...there are cars parked at all angles!!
Old 14 Apr 2009, 23:03 (Ref:2440898)   #15
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezza View Post
Totally off topic but look at the state of that pitlane...there are cars parked at all angles!!
That's pretty much typical for a track day. The one I did at Donington had cars parked, and going, all over the place in the pits. The problem of overcrowding was also present
Old 15 Apr 2009, 03:48 (Ref:2440990)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Hmm, still photography. It looks to me like some cars are exiting garages while others are entering.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 08:23 (Ref:2441095)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Hmm, still photography. It looks to me like some cars are exiting garages while others are entering.
Continuing the off topic theme. It was a sessioned track day. This is the end of one session, just before the begining of the next. I liked the picture because it was mad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wilson View Post
Rang them today, testing is ongoing as normal, it comes under their own circuit insurance coverage, for which a circuit licence is apparently unnecessary. Thanks for the replies.
Interesting. You'd think that a MSA inspection would be good for reducing the premiums? Maybe the insurance firms have done their work and see a (much?) lower risk in track days - or a much higher one and they are charging the earth already!
Old 15 Apr 2009, 12:46 (Ref:2441325)   #18
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore View Post
. . . You'd think that a MSA inspection would be good for reducing the premiums? Maybe the insurance firms have done their work and see a (much?) lower risk in track days - or a much higher one and they are charging the earth already!
Adam - Look earlier in this thread http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....02&postcount=8 for some relevant comments. Perhaps Donington have not read that court case.

Jim
Old 16 Apr 2009, 12:37 (Ref:2442206)   #19
MikeH
Racer

Scotland
Perth
MikeH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You want to see the dinky Knockhill pitlane on a busy trackday in that case!
#68 - 2009 SMRC Scottish Legends Championship.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 19:41 (Ref:2442509)   #20
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thursdays being, usually, test days I could hear some interesting noises today when the prevailing wind direction allowed and the series of showers abated for short periods.

I have always understood that I participate in a track day at my own risk. Usuallya small portion of the charge goes to provide some form of insurance cover for certain situations. I assume that to sue the organisers or circuit successfully one would have to prove that they were negligent in some extreme way which was beyond what could be expected.

One can see, and therefore expect and make a judgement about, obvious things like where the hard boundaries are and whether the grass is wet. One can then use one's judgement about what might happen if one eas to hit them or, if one got onto wet grass, how far off circuit one might travel at speed. At that point you decide upon your own level of safety.

Track days are, of course, very different to competitive racing days. Or at least they should be.

On the other hand if one was led to believe that, say, a barrier was solid and suitable for purpose but it failed to perform as 'billed', then one might have a case for negligence.

Presumably such issues have already been taken into account, given the H&S inspired world in which we live (unless you are a member of the armed forces when it seems that any old kit and poor equipment will suffice.)
Old 17 Apr 2009, 08:23 (Ref:2442825)   #21
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...IMG_8151-1.jpg

Is that really as bad as they are making out? I mean LMPs navigate the Porsche curves at much higher speeds with less run off than that and an amrco barrier.

http://www.thepurists.net/Patrons/Me...m_lem_1_39.jpg
Old 26 Apr 2009, 20:16 (Ref:2450144)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
Adam - Look earlier in this thread http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....02&postcount=8 for some relevant comments. Perhaps Donington have not read that court case.

Jim
Cheers Jim. My post had taken that into account. There is a disparity between race and track days. I was guessing at what an insurance company may consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.cosmic.pope View Post
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...IMG_8151-1.jpg

Is that really as bad as they are making out? I mean LMPs navigate the Porsche curves at much higher speeds with less run off than that and an amrco barrier.

http://www.thepurists.net/Patrons/Me...m_lem_1_39.jpg
The barrier could well be closer, but it is the angle of the Donington barrier that is the issue. At one point it is clear that if you go off you'll hit the barrier head on, rather than the usual glancing blow you'd normally get in the Porsche curves.
However I see your point.
Old 27 Apr 2009, 06:47 (Ref:2450395)   #23
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks Jim W. An interesting thread and it is really sad. Here in NZ we are keenly waiting the new Hampton Downs circuit and like Donington, the original developers/owners install a degree of wisdom and purity that should be left well alone.

I remember the 1977-1982 Donington meetings with a great deal of affection - and yes, sanitary toilets.

I was apalled at hearing that they had been granted the F1 GP, as building a venue for what may become a one off event is financial suicide as Bernie is not committed to a British GP at all.

The club racers are the backbone of the sport and if Donington remained a top quality club venue, a lot of people would be more than happy. F1 apparently makes a small fortune for a select few and everyone else pays through the nose or loses money.
Old 27 Apr 2009, 10:52 (Ref:2450562)   #24
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
The club racers are the backbone of the sport and if Donington remained a top quality club venue, a lot of people would be more than happy. F1 apparently makes a small fortune for a select few and everyone else pays through the nose or loses money.
The thing is though that 'a lot of people' may be happy but not in attendance.

At a couple of the more 'interesting' meetings last year I was talking to people on a gate about how empty the place looked despite a handy programme and decent weather. Apparently the attendance had been predicted at about 1000 paying spectators (at £12 per head) but only about 1/3rd that number had passed through.

This year I made it to the 2 events that have run - MGCC and HSCC - and was able to park right next to the Paddock entrance (the only access gate that was in use as far as I am aware) despite arriving quite late in the morning on both occasions. In the end HSCC looked busier then MGCC but that is not saying much and I suspect that with some of the circuit inaccessible and no infield open to speak of, the 'crowds' were somewhat more corralled than usual. I also suspect that many of them were directly connected with people and teams racing on the day and may therefore not have been paying spectators - or at least not independently paying spectators.

It is possible that some of the Bike meetings do a little better.

It would seem that even hosting the Renault World Series (free entry weekends) for a few years has not significantly encouraged locals to attend other meetings regualarly in any numbers.

I would guess that the gamble with hosting F1 is that it makes the name better known and therefore attracts more people to the facility ( and the museum, etc.?) whilst at the same time justifying an 'improved margin' on charges where such can be exercised. Such potential is unlikely to influence club racing supporters. Improved facilities just might - but then part of the attraction of Donington is (or was) the infield area and the views from the banking. Once that is gone (as it is now, effectively, in terms of access) some regulars may feel a little disenfranchised. Sadly there are probably not enough of them attedning regularly enough to keep the circuit operating in the way they would like.

Now that the MotoGP is going to Silverstone I can't see things improving much if the GP doesn't happen. In fact quite the opposite. But then I ave no knowledge of where the revenues to run the place actually come from.

The circuit plans clearly allow for 2 separate tracks that could be run concurrently, each with paddock, garages and support facilities. I assume that this would increase the potential daily revenues for the entire circuit and may be one way forward for them, but at the risk of encouraging the place to be carved up somewhat from a spectator point of view.

How the two track potential would affect club racing for competitors, other then the layout for the National Circuit changing in some places, is anyone's guess.
Old 27 Apr 2009, 23:44 (Ref:2451159)   #25
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One thing that puzzles me is who the idiot was who dreamed up where to put the tunnel/wall's.Do those responsible actually have any idea on circuit design/safety issues!
I think uncle Tom now has the task of getting rid of Gillet and co and starting over again,get the circuit back into a race ready state and start making the place earn some revenue during the week as well as the weekends.The small matter of the GP/? was it ever going to happen??