Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Jun 2009, 20:22 (Ref:2478662)   #1
ukaskew
Racer

ukaskew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Noise Limit

Living up the road from Castle Combe, I'm all too aware of how dB limits are crippling motorsport in the UK. Then it struck me, I've never seen any mention of it in F1 circles.

So, is there a dB limit for F1 cars? A bit of Googling surprisingly turned up no results.
Old 9 Jun 2009, 22:00 (Ref:2478731)   #2
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Being an international sport, I don't think it really has an effect. It's like complaining about a premiership football match going on at a stadium near to your house, the noise of the fans, etc, etc.

I've always been against the dB limit at testing, I mean for most the tracks throughout the country, the track was there a long time before most people who live there today. So either shut up, put up or move away would be my message to people complaining.
Old 10 Jun 2009, 01:04 (Ref:2478820)   #3
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Hey! What's that you say! ?

Mrs Grumpy of number 5 Mansell Close said: "I had no idea it was going to be this noisy when we moved here".Mrs Angry of number 27 Villeneuve View agreed.
Old 10 Jun 2009, 08:14 (Ref:2478966)   #4
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
Being an international sport, I don't think it really has an effect. It's like complaining about a premiership football match going on at a stadium near to your house, the noise of the fans, etc, etc.

I've always been against the dB limit at testing, I mean for most the tracks throughout the country, the track was there a long time before most people who live there today. So either shut up, put up or move away would be my message to people complaining.
Unfortunately they have the law on their side (see recent court case re: Croft http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73001). So expect to see draconian noise limits on club racing, perhaps even F1 in the near future.

You message would fall on deaf ears........
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 10 Jun 2009, 11:00 (Ref:2479052)   #5
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, what a sad society we live in nowadays then! Might as well and go and tell the football fans not to be rowdy at the next game....

Anther incident i can remember that concerns noise levels was when i went on holiday to the lake district. Near to the place we were staying was an RAF base, and every so often a RAF jet would fly overhead. It struck us as unsual that the locals didn't even bat an eyelid over it. It's just normal for them and they've got used to it. So should people who live near race tracks. It's unfortunate, but you know, you chose to live there. :P
Old 10 Jun 2009, 15:42 (Ref:2479274)   #6
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If any more noise cases are done against motorsport, I hope track owners and club drivers file their own law suits under the Human Rights Act, and its protection of the right to peaceful enjoyment of one's posessions (the track or the car).
Old 10 Jun 2009, 21:44 (Ref:2479654)   #7
ukaskew
Racer

I didn't mean to get into a discussion on noise limits in general. I just assumed their must be some limit for F1, for health and safety reasons if nothing else. They all seem to be roughly as loud as each other, but I guess that may be due to them all being so similar more than anything else.
Old 10 Jun 2009, 21:52 (Ref:2479660)   #8
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If a car was too loud for safety there is almost certainly a clause that would ban it. One question would be if catalytic convertors should be fitted, there is a road relevancy argument for them.
Old 12 Jun 2009, 21:32 (Ref:2481277)   #9
scoobiesnoop
Rookie

England
UK
scoobiesnoop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm but I'm guessing that the local economy thrives from race meetings so if you then start banning cars or even whole races because of noise limits it wouldn't be very good for the community would it, so I guess there wouldn't be any complaints if it got a bit rowdy.
Old 13 Jun 2009, 15:13 (Ref:2481791)   #10
ukaskew
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobiesnoop View Post
Hmmm but I'm guessing that the local economy thrives from race meetings so if you then start banning cars or even whole races because of noise limits it wouldn't be very good for the community would it, so I guess there wouldn't be any complaints if it got a bit rowdy.
F3/GT brought hundreds of thousand of pounds into Wiltshire when Castle Combe had it, then 4 (yes, 4!) local residents got it banned.

Anyhow, as I said, I wasn't specifically referring to noise limits due to the NIMBY factor, I just wondered if there was one. Or if not, what dB do F1 cars normally run at?
Old 14 Jun 2009, 00:29 (Ref:2482432)   #11
scoobiesnoop
Rookie

England
UK
scoobiesnoop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukaskew View Post
.....Or if not, what dB do F1 cars normally run at?
Erm I think it's a bazzillion DB!!
Old 14 Jun 2009, 00:35 (Ref:2482434)   #12
Scotracer
Rookie

Scotland
West Lothian
Scotracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 cars (the V8 ones) are typically over 130dB. The V10s were a bit louder but not much.
Old 15 Jun 2009, 13:08 (Ref:2483760)   #13
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Given the amount of money spent in F1, it doesn't seem beyond the realms of possibility that you could make a very quiet engine that everyone would be happy with, that still produced adequate HP (e.,g. the Veyron engine, >1000hp, and road legal, and designed for the life of the car, not just two races).

It doesn't need to be noisy, so there will be room for maneuver in the future.

130db is really much too loud.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Old 15 Jun 2009, 14:07 (Ref:2483785)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Aren't racing cars supposed to be loud ?
Old 15 Jun 2009, 14:48 (Ref:2483809)   #15
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
There is loud and there is damaging to hearing loud, as a man who now suffers from permanent tinitus I think they should be a bit quieter myself.
Old 15 Jun 2009, 15:06 (Ref:2483819)   #16
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
Yeah, what a sad society we live in nowadays then! Might as well and go and tell the football fans not to be rowdy at the next game....

Anther incident i can remember that concerns noise levels was when i went on holiday to the lake district. Near to the place we were staying was an RAF base, and every so often a RAF jet would fly overhead. It struck us as unsual that the locals didn't even bat an eyelid over it. It's just normal for them and they've got used to it. So should people who live near race tracks. It's unfortunate, but you know, you chose to live there. :P
Plus, let's face it, a lot of our present race circuits are built on old RAF Airbases.
We have problems here in Leicestershire where an old airbase is now used as Bruntingthorpe Proving Ground (and has been for about 20 years). They are presently having problems where some 'new local residents' are complaining about noise from cars testing there occasionally. As 'real local residents' have commented "They should hev been living here when the USAF where taking off and landing bomber aircraft at all times of the day and night, then they'd know about noise!".
(OK, sorry about that rant, I'll get down off my soapbox and take my medication!)
Old 15 Jun 2009, 15:47 (Ref:2483840)   #17
Scotracer
Rookie

Scotland
West Lothian
Scotracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too suffer from hearing damage and mild tinitus due to my motorsport endeavours but I would not change it for the world. There is nothing in the world like hearing a 2004 V10 F1 car howling up to Copse corner.
Old 17 Jun 2009, 18:12 (Ref:2485373)   #18
ROB IS THE STIG
Veteran

England
Paddock Hill Bend Brands Hatch!!
ROB IS THE STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me the louder the better. Its all part of the motorsport experience, the sights, sounds & smell all add to it. If race cars are made quieter then the world has gone completely mad!!

I know that Brands Hatch give out resident passes to make things more bearable and if its that bad don't buy a house within a few miles of a circuit!!

As spectators, ear plugs are always an option, A1GP this yr at Brands Hatch with the new ferrari engines were fantastically loud, exactly how they should be!
Old 18 Jun 2009, 08:13 (Ref:2485747)   #19
elspethhardie
Racer

Wales
South Wales
elspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We had a situation in my village, which is a very quaint rural, traditional village nestled around the cricket pitch. Cricket has been played on the ground since 1798, and since I have lived in the village (1982) it has been played through out the summer most weekends.

A new couple moved into the village, and set up a petition to stop cricket being played because it ruined their peace and quiet and their house got hit by a couple of big 6s.

Well they got 2 signatures (his and hers) and their house became target practice for all 6s, most of the villagers laughed at them - people want to old worldy village style cottage but not the village life!

Same with motorsport - you have to look at the whole suroundings when buying a house not just the house on it's own.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 08:28 (Ref:2485757)   #20
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
However, the law in this country say that you can move in to a place, and expect it to be relatively peaceful and quiet. So you CAN move next to a race circuit, and effectively get compensation/reduced noise days. It's wrong, but that what can happen. Which is why cars will have to get a lot quieter in the future, unless this law is changed. It still amazes me that Croft lost that case, but as many have said - the Law is an ass.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 17:05 (Ref:2486002)   #21
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Croft thing had a lot to do with personal conflict, though - the woman leading the complaints was the ex-wife of the guy that owned/ran it

Brands GP is probably a better example, because those houses were built after the track was built. And Zandvoort, where the people that are complaining live on houses built on the old circuit
Old 18 Jun 2009, 17:20 (Ref:2486009)   #22
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
The Croft thing had a lot to do with personal conflict, though - the woman leading the complaints was the ex-wife of the guy that owned/ran it
Figures.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 19:22 (Ref:2486064)   #23
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
How long before a circuit owner uses the Human Rights Act under Protocol 1 Article 1, the right to peaceful enjoyment of posessions (I.E. the circuit owner of his race track, the users of the track to enjoyment of their motor vehicles). Could put a legal cat amongst the pigeons. Maybe that would stop the NIMBYs, CAVE people and BANANA mob.
Old 19 Jun 2009, 15:23 (Ref:2486585)   #24
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Irrelevant to the court. She still won the case (a LOT of money), which has set a precedent.

I like the idea of a human rights case though.
Old 19 Jun 2009, 16:38 (Ref:2486612)   #25
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Random information from a Formula 3 perspective. The FIA Regulations set the limit at something ridiculous like 98 db(A), but then say it's up to each country's ASN (here in the UK that's the MSA) to set the limit. For British F3 it's 114 db(A), which is half reasonable, but Castle Combe has a limit of 105 db(A) and at other circuits it's 108 db(A), so you just know the official limit is going to be brought down before long.

However, and here's the laugh, when the FIA runs its own International meetings at Zandvoort and Macau the cars run with open exhausts, so there is no limit at all!