Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 1 Apr 2015, 20:37 (Ref:3522855)   #3651
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
How many entries would have been in last weekends first race had the banned classes + lower Porkies not been participating? But counting in SP10 if it's truly back
Just went through the entry list, and we would've had 113 starters. So about one third down.

You'd think that at least some teams and drivers would find themselves rides in the slower classes if the ban was truly upheld through the 24.
Old 1 Apr 2015, 21:07 (Ref:3522863)   #3652
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
Miguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMiguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some small teams are already offering paid rides for drivers who can't race their usual cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Really sorry to hear that, he wasn't the person that passed away, was he?
If not, I hope his injuries are not too bad - mentally it's probably a completely different ball game... poor dude
Oh no, he's fine, only got hit by some bodywork and didn't need medical attention but obviously could've been much worse if you see how far along the fence the car bounced, is what I meant. I don't know any other people who were there.
Old 1 Apr 2015, 21:51 (Ref:3522880)   #3653
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Would a higher fence or inner barrier have helped? Or did the Nissan launch more from that impact? I'm thinking Nascar oval style fencing, unless the car jumped completely over and the fence is too far back from the barriers?
Old 2 Apr 2015, 07:38 (Ref:3522967)   #3654
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Would a higher fence or inner barrier have helped? Or did the Nissan launch more from that impact? I'm thinking Nascar oval style fencing, unless the car jumped completely over and the fence is too far back from the barriers?
Sure, a high enough fence would have helped in this particular place... doesn't tackle the main problem, though.
Old 2 Apr 2015, 16:42 (Ref:3523122)   #3655
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Sure, a high enough fence would have helped in this particular place... doesn't tackle the main problem, though.
The fence at Hockenheim in front of the Mercedes grandstand was deemed high enough until a F3 launched almost over it a couple years ago. It was just pure luck it didn't launch off entirely
Old 2 Apr 2015, 17:18 (Ref:3523126)   #3656
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
Some small teams are already offering paid rides for drivers who can't race their usual cars.

Oh no, he's fine, only got hit by some bodywork and didn't need medical attention but obviously could've been much worse if you see how far along the fence the car bounced, is what I meant. I don't know any other people who were there.
Narrow escape! Glad he's ok.

Btw, read your article/report, excellent piece, keep it on!
Old 2 Apr 2015, 17:29 (Ref:3523134)   #3657
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
No matter how high a fence, eventually a car will clear it...

Gotta stop them taking off.
Old 2 Apr 2015, 19:47 (Ref:3523181)   #3658
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A car should never get airborne, is not just an spectator safety feature, is safety for the other drivers and track marshals. Think in Ortelli crash at Monza, he didn´t land over the Audi by pure luck.
Old 3 Apr 2015, 06:24 (Ref:3523261)   #3659
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Good to hear about your friend

Regarding the drives with the smaller teams I was just wondering about this last night. Sorry but I'm slightly confused, the teams are paying the drivers or wanting the drivers to pay for a seat? I could see it going both ways. A small team would be happy to pay for a very good driver were they able to but on the other hand one could see a team/teams thinking this could be a good way to make cash off drivers who need a seat to qualify for the N24.
Old 3 Apr 2015, 07:26 (Ref:3523271)   #3660
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
N24Q race is a go anyway, regardless of the ban. Probably for the best, even if it'll be a huge blow for the financial aspect of the race (which is one big joke in itself, but that's not the point).
Do they still have the 'top 10 qualify for the N24 qualy shootout' rule?
Old 3 Apr 2015, 07:59 (Ref:3523279)   #3661
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
Do they still have the 'top 10 qualify for the N24 qualy shootout' rule?
For now, yes... but I guess it depends on the results of next Tuesday's round table. If GT3s are banned for the qualy race, but expected to be cleared for the 24h, you'd think they'd suspend that rule.
Old 3 Apr 2015, 08:23 (Ref:3523283)   #3662
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
Miguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMiguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not sure how that qualifying system exactly works anyway. Top 10 qualifies, VLN pole and race winners also qualify? I prefer old school qualifying, but I'm not much for those qualifying shows that you now see in all top class racing anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Regarding the drives with the smaller teams I was just wondering about this last night. Sorry but I'm slightly confused, the teams are paying the drivers or wanting the drivers to pay for a seat? I could see it going both ways. A small team would be happy to pay for a very good driver were they able to but on the other hand one could see a team/teams thinking this could be a good way to make cash off drivers who need a seat to qualify for the N24.
Sorry, I meant that SP drivers can buy a ride.
Old 3 Apr 2015, 09:17 (Ref:3523291)   #3663
Holt
Veteran

United States
Holt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So this is exactly where the spectators were sitting. It looks so safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIUF3_qjHvU
Old 3 Apr 2015, 10:05 (Ref:3523297)   #3664
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Spot on Holt.

And that's exactly why there's no-one to blame here: everyone thought that was safe. It's also worth remembering that the car didn't 'flip over the barrier', but was only able to do so because of the incredibly unfortunate angle the trailing rear clipped the tyre wall.

The cruel irony being that the safety features put in (tyre barrier, catch fencing slightly further forward than the old barrier) resulted in the tragic, yet unforeseeable, outcome.
Old 3 Apr 2015, 10:42 (Ref:3523311)   #3665
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There appears to be 2 fences. One large catch fence and then a smaller, shoulder-ish height one. Which fence are the spectators meant to be behind? Because they were between the 2 fences.
Old 3 Apr 2015, 10:54 (Ref:3523314)   #3666
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
There appears to be 2 fences. One large catch fence and then a smaller, shoulder-ish height one. Which fence are the spectators meant to be behind? Because they were between the 2 fences.
The lower one really is of little significance... that's the original fence from before 2009 when they put in the FIA fencing. They just never got around to removing the lower one.
Old 3 Apr 2015, 15:34 (Ref:3523421)   #3667
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to another source the 2nd lower fence marks private property.
Old 5 Apr 2015, 09:32 (Ref:3524011)   #3668
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
Renger van der Zande, who was actually racing there last weekend, reflects on the accident: http://www.gt-report.com/2015/04/05/...-on-a-tragedy/

The original article is in Dutch, so read that if you want his exact words: http://racexpress.nl/index.php?nav=Artikel&nid=65560
Old 5 Apr 2015, 09:36 (Ref:3524013)   #3669
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
Also, a couple of other VLN racers have weight in, such as Dale Lomas (http://bridgetogantry.com/2/index.ph...t-it-all-means), Laurens Vanthoor (https://www.facebook.com/laurensvant...129118012933:0) and Jürgen Alzen (https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...nf&pnref=story).

All pretty good reads. Very honest, especially about the dangers of racing.
Old 7 Apr 2015, 05:42 (Ref:3524553)   #3670
Nick6
Racer

United States
Nick6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to change the subject a bit, what becomes of the VLN and N24 in the future without any sort of fast GT cars?
Old 7 Apr 2015, 11:54 (Ref:3524657)   #3671
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick6 View Post
Just to change the subject a bit, what becomes of the VLN and N24 in the future without any sort of fast GT cars?

Production cars basically. Think GT4 equivalent as top class
Old 7 Apr 2015, 12:07 (Ref:3524662)   #3672
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Production cars basically. Think GT4 equivalent as top class
Actually, the two-liter turbo charged touring cars would probably be ahead of the GT4s and the production cars. With supposedly lots of manufacturer interest behind the new TCR-rules for just such cars that might actually be a somewhat viable way to go.

I don't think it'll come to that, though. There's just too much money in GT3 right now... I guess we'll know more in a few hours after the conclusion of today's round table at Frankfurt.
Old 7 Apr 2015, 13:40 (Ref:3524684)   #3673
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have just see this on DSC - http://www.dailysportscar.com/2015/0...g-at-ring.html

So it looks like everyone is back in but with these changes.
Old 7 Apr 2015, 13:40 (Ref:3524685)   #3674
Creep89
Veteran

Germany
Herne
Creep89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
- 5% less power
- speed limits (WTF???)
- restrictions for fan access

Are you f*cking kidding me? A speed limit?
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2015/0...g-at-ring.html
Old 7 Apr 2015, 13:43 (Ref:3524686)   #3675
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creep89 View Post
- 5% less power
- speed limits (WTF???)
- restrictions for fan access

Are you f*cking kidding me? A speed limit?
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2015/0...g-at-ring.html
Probably means similar measures to when they drive through a yellow flag zone.

No more lap records being broken with the 5% power reduction then.