Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 12 Jan 2005, 01:30 (Ref:1198646)   #1
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any Chance?

Do you think there's any chance that we will see a higher amount of venues in 2005?
Old 12 Jan 2005, 07:21 (Ref:1198714)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Yes... No... Maybe...
I've not given up hope on either of the Americas, "Road" or "South".
But "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me" applies to Korea.
I have given up hope on Laguna Seca and Michigan International Speedway.
(I just had to add that last part out of selfishness)
But I really really really want another oval. Even though I don't see any forthcoming.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 07:26 (Ref:1198715)   #3
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well at least one of the ovals that we got is in Vegas :-)

But I doubt that more venues will be added.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 07:49 (Ref:1198720)   #4
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh btw I belive that Laguna is officially out for some reason, because there was talk of the AMA using CART's date...and I'm sorry if some one has allready posted that!

Macdaddy: And I miss Phoenix & Louden!
Old 12 Jan 2005, 08:19 (Ref:1198734)   #5
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Hazza...

Yeah, I miss 'em too. I miss the diversity.

But in regards to Laguna, nothing is "official" until it's "official".
And nothing is official.

That's not to say that I think it will happen, because I don't. But if you go to Laguna's website and look at their 2005 schedule, they advertise the date as "TBA". There is a link for "more information" - and clicking on it provides you with another link. This time to the ChampCar homepage.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 13:31 (Ref:1198961)   #6
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Laguna is the "safety valve" to add if Argentina doesn't come through, probably on a track rental, to up the number of races. They've both got the same date, 9/11 (of all dates). Road America could also be a possibility on that date if Argentina doesn't happen.

And yeah, macdaddy, although it wouldn't be in my budget anyway, I haven't even considered buying plane tickets to Korea.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 17:08 (Ref:1199094)   #7
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Phoenix and Louden were good tracks for CC.

Do you think that if a race falls through that it would be better to replace it with another event with short notice, little promotion and little gaurenty of success, or to simply drop the date from the schedule?
Old 12 Jan 2005, 18:51 (Ref:1199178)   #8
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
I have a question: how easy is it for Champ Cars to schedule oval races? I mean, would NASCAR and the IRL want Champ Cars to be muscling in on their territory? On the other hand, CC raced in Vegas last season.

If it is possible for Champ Cars to schedule ovals with politics aside, then can't they add at least one more superspeedway?

I guess it's not that simple, otherwise it may have been done already.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 00:40 (Ref:1199491)   #9
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well...

As far as I understand it the problems are:
1) CART doesn't have the relations with ISC who owns all the speedways like the IRL has.
2) Nazereth is out, because it is owned by Roger Penske and CART allready burned that particular bridge.
3) Some ovals are too fast, like Texas
4) The general consensus is that on some ovals, the IRL will put on a better show than OWRS, and even though some people on the board love them, some oval races have been particually boring and it is just not going to the trouble because the IRL does it so often.
5) I'm not sure that Nascar really gives a hoot. They're so far ahead they're about to lap us (The open wheel series').
6) And as for the IRL last time there was a shoot off in attendance numbers, the IRL supposidly 'beat' us with number of seats sold. So i'm not sure that they would mind, but I don't know that for sure.

I kinda just opened my mouth here, I hope its some help and some one else can come in and set me straight/back me up.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 20:25 (Ref:1200204)   #10
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2. No one is racing at Nazerth right now, so I suppose it's conceivable that CC might be able to get in, assuming Roger is okay with that. Track attendance was low the last time the IRL was there.
4. I don't know that everyone thinks the IRL puts on a better oval show. After the 200th lap of two cars being stuck beside each other, doesn't anyone (even casual observers) wish that maybe the drivers had some say in the situation and could do something about it?
6. True.
Old 14 Jan 2005, 03:32 (Ref:1200510)   #11
Ac.
Racer

Canada
Waterloo, Ont.
Ac. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2. Sometimes you have to burn the bridge when the guy on the other side is rolling your way with a tank....
Old 14 Jan 2005, 03:33 (Ref:1200512)   #12
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to this , Nazareth has been closed down, so no racing there.
Old 14 Jan 2005, 07:28 (Ref:1200595)   #13
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandretti39
According to this , Nazareth has been closed down, so no racing there.
!!!

Old 14 Jan 2005, 07:41 (Ref:1200606)   #14
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
I guess if they tried to Champ Car could find a way to have mroe ovals, because after all it is a new group of owners that are leading Champ Car. But it seems to me that the focus is not finding new tracks but new host city venues.

For example, instead of finding tracks like Road Atlanta, Michigan International Speedway or Kansas Speedway, CC is looking at Buenos Aires, Seoul, and San Jose. Basically places where the race can be an actual event that the city gets involved in, and not just some event at a track outside of the city. It's like having a party in the center of downtown versus a party at a park.
Old 14 Jan 2005, 10:19 (Ref:1200694)   #15
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
Well...

As far as I understand it the problems are:
1) CART doesn't have the relations with ISC who owns all the speedways like the IRL has.
Texas World Speedway (essentially a clone of Michigan) and Pocono are independent - have Champ Car run there instead.

TWS could perhaps draw an ok crowd, if the IndyCar crowds at TMS are any indication of how much people in Texas seem to like high-speed open-wheel oval racing.

Last edited by rustyfan; 14 Jan 2005 at 10:19.
Old 14 Jan 2005, 10:30 (Ref:1200701)   #16
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Why did they ever stop going to Pocono is the only question I have!!

But lets be honest with ourselves, there are a number of places where ChampCar could run on an oval. But the powers that be just don't seem interested in that for their own reasons - If they were going to replace 9 races they had in 2000/2001 they would have done it by now.
Old 14 Jan 2005, 10:44 (Ref:1200713)   #17
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
Why did they ever stop going to Pocono is the only question I have!!
For safety reasons, and I don't blame 'em. Back then they even had sections of the wall consisting of boiler-plate, rather than concrete, which lead to some serious accidents (in both Champ Car and stock car races).

These days, especially now that it has gotten SAFER installed (or is about to, since NASCAR has demanded that all tracks get it installed), I don't see any problems, safety-wise, of them running there though.

Last edited by rustyfan; 14 Jan 2005 at 10:44.
Old 14 Jan 2005, 12:03 (Ref:1200788)   #18
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
But wasn't TMS deemed too fast for Champ Cars?
Old 14 Jan 2005, 12:09 (Ref:1200795)   #19
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
TMS (Texas Motor Speedway) and TWS (Texas World Speedway) are two different tracks
Old 14 Jan 2005, 12:21 (Ref:1200809)   #20
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Ah, my mistake. Which one is at Fort Worth?
Old 14 Jan 2005, 13:55 (Ref:1200887)   #21
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
TMS is at Fort Worth

TWS was a track in the 70s, I believe.
Old 14 Jan 2005, 14:21 (Ref:1200909)   #22
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
TWS was a track in the 70s, I believe.
While TWS lost the more well-known championships racing there years ago, it's still very much an active track.

Old 14 Jan 2005, 15:35 (Ref:1200954)   #23
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
So at which track was the CART race cancelled a couple of years ago because drivers were blacking out on the banking?
Old 14 Jan 2005, 15:37 (Ref:1200955)   #24
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan
So at which track was the CART race cancelled a couple of years ago because drivers were blacking out on the banking?
Texas Motor Speedway, the SMI-owned track in Ft. Worth.

Last edited by rustyfan; 14 Jan 2005 at 15:38.
Old 14 Jan 2005, 16:24 (Ref:1200978)   #25
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
That could easily have been avoided, if only CART had tested there in any seriousness.