Old 7 Mar 2006, 21:56 (Ref:1539828)   #1
BugEyed
Racer

BugEyed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Red Warning Light - "Rain Lamp"

The VSCC has, in its' own sweet way, decided that

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSCC Newsletter
... red rear lights will be mandated for racing cars for the 2006 season onwards. Such lights must comply with 'Blue Book' Regulation Q.5. Such lights need not be permanently fitted and may contain their own internal battery power but in the event of inclement weather may be required by the Clerk of the Course. Should the need be identified before a race commences then the fitment will be checked during assembly. Should the need arise during a race, any car unable to switch on a suitable red light will be black flagged from the event.
Interesting to see that the lights only need fitting if the race is deemed to be wet. Obviously this is impossible mid-race, so I guess that a number of competitors will choose not to fit them and "retire" if the race is deemed wet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MSA Competitors' Yearbook 2006
5. RED WARNING LIGHT
A rearward facing red warning light of a minimum of 21 watts, with surface area minimum 20cm, maximum 40cm, or of 21 watts with a surface area minimum of 50cm and with lens and reflector to EU Standards, must be located within 10cm of the centre line of the vehicle and be clearly visible from the rear. Vehicles fitted with full width bodywork may alternatively use two lights equally located about the vehicle centre line. An alternative light unit of equal or enhanced constant luminosity or LED lights that are either homologated by the FIA or comply with relevant EU Regulations may be used. The warning light must be switched on when visibility conditions are reduced, or as detailed within championship and/or event regulations, or when so instructed by the Clerk of the Course.
All of which leads me to wonder:
  • Does the MSA definition of "full width bodywork" include sports-cars with cycle wings?
  • Presumably the standard rear lights of a car "fitted with full width bodywork" either require the fitting of a central "warning light" or higher wattage bulbs fitting to their standard rear marker lights if they meet the rules on size (and possibly EU standards)?
  • If the rear lights only have to be fitted, let alone switched on, when required who will check the requirements for size, light output, etc mid race?
  • Do other meetings/championships have a similar rule for the fitment/use of red warning lamps?
  • If so, how are they enforced?
Any experiences would be gratefully received.

Duncan
Old 8 Mar 2006, 10:37 (Ref:1540181)   #2
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anybody tried out the "two lights equally located about the centreline" ruling yet?

I reckon I can get rid of about 150 grams!!!!!
Old 8 Mar 2006, 11:18 (Ref:1540208)   #3
Bryan Degerlund
Veteran

England
Dartford
Bryan Degerlund should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugEyed
[*]Do other meetings/championships have a similar rule for the fitment/use of red warning lamps?[*]If so, how are they enforced?[/list]Any experiences would be gratefully received.

Duncan
As Chief Startline marshal at Brands Hatch for BRSCC, here is how we operate. If the circuit is wet a "REAR LIGHT ON" board will be displayed at the Pitlane exit for practice and to the grid for the race. We will try and check the lights as cars leave the pitlane, but as they are accelerating away from us, this is not always 100%. "Why don't you check them whilst the cars are lined up?" you ask -- unfortunately many drivers seem to have a phobia about switching lights on until they are moving.

Once the cars are on circuit, we will report any cars not displaying a rear light, when appropriate, to Race Control. Normally we will then show the "lights" board with the car number(s) at the startline. If there is no reaction after 2/3 laps, the CoC may then instruct a Black Flag to be shown and a Scrutineer asked to check the car.

This is how BRSCC at Brands Hatch operate, other circuits/clubs may operate a different procedure.

I hope this is of assistance.
Old 8 Mar 2006, 16:22 (Ref:1540523)   #4
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
As a competitor, in my experience most scrutineers (more than 3/4) will ask you to show them that your high intensity rear light (rain light) works during normal scrutineering. They are mandatory for the vast majority of racing and vehicle types but not necessarily for historic and vintage cars. These generally only have to have "safety devices" that were required when the vehicle was first raced. It is likely, therefore, that this item in the VSCC newsletter is a sign that they are gently introducing more modern safety items (such as rain lights) as part of a general requirement for safer racing.

The 4" from centre line thing applies to open and closed cars alike, but the twin symmetrical lights allows many modified road cars to use a pair of bumper mounted fog lights as an equivalent. If thats what you have then it should be acceptable even if they are mounted on "cycle wings" (bit like Caterhams) By the way, the 21watt 50cm^2 thing is the spec for a standard fog light on a road car as set by the EU, so if you are using E marked road car lights then they will comply.

VSCC aren't the only ones with specific rules for things like this. Basically, the Blue Book is the minimum requirement, but clubs can set more specific or higher standards if they wish. The 750 Motor Club which I sometimes race with, for example, specify that rain lights MUST be of the LED type and MUST be located in the middle of the rear window or in an equivalent postition on open cars. This is their own rule and if you don't like it then they will invite you to race elsewhere. Arguing that your single bulb light complies with the blue book won't make any difference.... I've tried it

Good luck.
Old 9 Mar 2006, 20:08 (Ref:1541914)   #5
BugEyed
Racer

Bryan

Thank you for the detailed reply. It would appear that your experience is slightly different from the VSCC's future - fitting of rain lights will be optional at VSCC meetings so they will not have been checked by the Scrutineers, hence leaving the race officials to judge their legality.

dtype38

I suspect that your description of how things will develop is correct. No VSCC car will have been fitted with E-marked lamps in period, so to go that route will require a modification to the car. I guess that fitting an additional switch on sports-cars to put on the brake-lights will provide a solution, provided that the lights concerned are 50mm diameter.

There has been talk of battery powered, temporarily fitted (stick-on has been mentioned ) lamps but I struggle to see how these could be powerful enough (21W is much more than the average bicycle rear lamp!). Do any Clubs use/accept such an arrangement?

Duncan
Old 10 Mar 2006, 09:48 (Ref:1542177)   #6
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a cheap..under £10 cycle led light which is at least as bright as a regular bulb..and it doesn't go wrong. I have not had my regular light fail in scrutineering yet and wonder if the 'cycle' lamp would pass, even though it isn't switched from the dash.
Old 10 Mar 2006, 22:07 (Ref:1543224)   #7
BugEyed
Racer

Stephen

Perhaps I shouldn't have raised the profile of this! LED's need to be E-marked or FIA approved - I doubt if any cycle lamp will be. However, if yours is as bright as a conventional 21W brake/fog lamp then I'd appreciate knowing the make.

Cheers

Duncan
Old 16 Mar 2006, 12:30 (Ref:1550199)   #8
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a Vistalite 300 series, 5 leds which can be set to flash or scroll. I compared them both in the dark and the standard one has a bigger lens and spread of light, the leds give a very clear well defined and highly visible light which seems to me to be just as good.
Old 16 Mar 2006, 19:05 (Ref:1550438)   #9
BugEyed
Racer

Stephen

Thank you for the answer.

What you have said confirms what I suspected. Bike LEDs (even the biggest rear lamps) are not powerful enough to pass the FIA requirements (200,000 mcd), and hence don't have FIA approval. Having said that, they are probably powerful enough to pass scrutineering provided you don't meet Mr Jobsworth.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Duncan