Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 18 Apr 2017, 06:24 (Ref:3727474)   #76
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
He is offering a first hand account?

What further can he provide outside of his own experiences with CAMS nor V8SC offering any information or comments?
I notice Aust GT or the AFL gave no comment either, I blame Donald Trump personally

Seriously some pie in the sky question without any action to back it up but the one guy who was lippy about the whole thing
Old 18 Apr 2017, 07:45 (Ref:3727486)   #77
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The usual suspects with the usual comments i see

This weekends calendar of events at Phillip Island would be right up their alley, nothing but Supercars....
Old 18 Apr 2017, 08:31 (Ref:3727499)   #78
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
PS2244 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
The usual suspects with the usual comments i see

This weekends calendar of events at Phillip Island would be right up their alley, nothing but Supercars....
Untrue there's 86's and one other yet to be named catoegry as well
Old 25 May 2017, 06:32 (Ref:3735818)   #79
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Audi has bought out its RS3 TCR car, and I have to admit the thought of hearing that flat-5 gargling its way around Australian race tracks got me hot, until I realised this RS3 is going to be running the 2-litre four-pot as run in the Golf and Seat racers overseas.

http://www.theracetorque.com/2017/05...ds-down-under/

Still, if we get any of the manufacturers interested, TCR could grow legs.

Do we though have room for another class with $200k cars? That has to be front running DVS or rear of grid Supercars surely?
Old 25 May 2017, 07:59 (Ref:3735841)   #80
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Audi has bought out its RS3 TCR car, and I have to admit the thought of hearing that flat-5 gargling its way around Australian race tracks got me hot, until I realised this RS3 is going to be running the 2-litre four-pot as run in the Golf and Seat racers overseas.

http://www.theracetorque.com/2017/05...ds-down-under/

Still, if we get any of the manufacturers interested, TCR could grow legs.

Do we though have room for another class with $200k cars? That has to be front running DVS or rear of grid Supercars surely?
I love the concept of TCR but I just do not think a strictly Australian series is feasible currently, it would over saturate Australian motorsport as the Race Torque said and I think it would be bizarre to run it in the GT Trophy Series.
Old 25 May 2017, 08:07 (Ref:3735842)   #81
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They run the MARC cars in GT-T.

Nothing bizarre there.

Will need to confirm, but TCR cars were doing similar lap times to GT4 cars at the Dubai 24hr this year. Very similar running gear to the GT4-spec KTM X-Bow. One such TCR Audi did the TCR sprint event AND the 24hr on the same weekend. Finished all sessions, and won it's class in the 24hr.
Old 25 May 2017, 08:32 (Ref:3735859)   #82
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
They run the MARC cars in GT-T.
I personally don't see any issue with it. The cars, parts and support are available and the manufacturers want to sell them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Will need to confirm, but TCR cars were doing similar lap times to GT4 cars at the Dubai 24hr this year. Very similar running gear to the GT4-spec KTM X-Bow. One such TCR Audi did the TCR sprint event AND the 24hr on the same weekend. Finished all sessions, and won it's class in the 24hr.
I didn't make the connection with the X-Bow - damn they are making their amortisation costs out of that homologation.

Given all of the above, I want one!!!
Old 25 May 2017, 17:44 (Ref:3735968)   #83
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS2244 View Post
I love the concept of TCR but I just do not think a strictly Australian series is feasible currently,
It's a pity.

I think the German series is by far the most successful TCR series - incredible 40 car grids! But the inevitable array of safety cars when you have a field full of amateur drivers is not so great.

For 350bhp/1300kg they honestly don't seem *THAT* slow, as long as you don't race them on boring wide Grand Prix circuits. They seem quite fast around Macau for example.
Old 25 May 2017, 17:46 (Ref:3735969)   #84
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
They were AU$150k were they not? So similar in price to a top flight Production Racing car such as the BMW M4, but for that you get a standardised package with good resale value instead of a one-off.

Besides that is still one third the price of a BTCC or WTCC car. At the moment there is no ladder to go from Australia to WTCC or TCR International categories, which is a pity for aspiring "touring car" (as in proper front wheel drive European touring cars) racers.

There is good potential for manufacturer support (Peugeot, Honda, VW, Audi, KIA, Hyundai, Alfa Romeo, Holden/Opel) especially "win on sunday, sell on Monday" given that they are production based and are true road relevant touring cars.
Old 25 May 2017, 22:41 (Ref:3736057)   #85
Mixer
Veteran

The 200k figure came from Audi customer sport.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 25 May 2017, 23:42 (Ref:3736062)   #86
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Audis are the dearest, but apparently you get what you pay for; top-notch safety, well-finished, excellent aftersales support.
Old 26 May 2017, 03:06 (Ref:3736088)   #87
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
as in proper front wheel drive European touring cars
Old 26 May 2017, 19:46 (Ref:3736227)   #88
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
You don't like front wheel drive!?

It's what touring car racing is all about! Yeah, sure there are some BMWs in there, but they are just an oddity for variety. It's not like 2000cc naturally aspirated RWD cars have been readily available any time recently.

Yeah there is probably more torque steer when you are turning and accelerating than you might like, but tuned NA 4 cylinder engines in RWD cars are just not readily available... ^

Almost always your tuned 4 cylinders engine like your Honda K20, Renault F4R and Ford Duratec come in FWD hatches and sedans. So therefore FWD is what it's about.

^ (apart from a small number of exceptions like E30 M3, Honda S2000, MX5, Toyota 86... which are the exception that proves the rule TBH and mostly those are impractical sportscars not touring cars)

Tiff takes the Vauxhall, Toyota and BMW super tourers out for a spin... https://youtu.be/cEfiwyiV8hs?t=4m30s
Damon Hill is most positive about the road going version of the front wheel drive Accord Type R (as raced in super touring)... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPMZtAnKDuE
Road car battle royale, lots of fun: Focus vs Megane vs MINI vs Audi A1... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPnAtNbrygk
Civic Type R road car, "like a drug" around Silverstone... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cczr9EGKwVo

As you can see, drivers like Tiff and Hill can still enjoy punting a "lowly FWD econobox", race or road car, even though they have raced the fastest of the fast Formula One cars and Porsche Le Mans prototypes.
Old 27 May 2017, 00:01 (Ref:3736273)   #89
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
^ (apart from a small number of exceptions like E30 M3, Honda S2000, MX5, Toyota 86... which are the exception that proves the rule TBH and mostly those are impractical sportscars not touring cars)
I love how you dismiss some of the greatest driving cars of the recent era...
Old 27 May 2017, 17:55 (Ref:3736427)   #90
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
I love how you dismiss some of the greatest driving cars of the recent era...
Sorry, I don't follow.

No question those are better driving cars but you can't put four people and luggage or ikea flatpack or a washing machine in them like you can with a hatchback.

The lightest practical (sporty) RWD cars tend to be at least 1500kg (and very expensive since they are mostly prestige cars), a lot heavier and more expensive than (sporty) FWD hatchbacks.

If there was a sedan version of a 86 or S2000 that would be very appealing, but there isn't. The best you can do is a BMW, ideally the wailing straight six with the vanos, or the later turbos, but they start to get expensive, they have issues as a used car, etc etc.

This Honda FWD junkie eventually picked up his BMW M3 dream car (obviously there aren't many honda RWD choices, honda only offered the impactical s2000 or very expensive nsx in recent times), but he is the first to say it's perhaps the m3 is not *that much* more thrilling than his Integra despite the RWD and how much more it costs.

Just sayin' that fwd is not that bad. The BTCC is a lot of fun to this day. Plus the FWD cars, the majority, have a very good chance to save spins which makes for some great biff and barge action without the victims ending up in the grass as ofton as they might do.

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 27 May 2017 at 18:19.
Old 27 May 2017, 19:53 (Ref:3736478)   #91
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Audi at Phillip Island ...

Old 27 May 2017, 23:57 (Ref:3736529)   #92
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZedMikey View Post
The Audi at Phillip Island ...

How does it sound?
Old 28 May 2017, 00:08 (Ref:3736531)   #93
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
This Honda FWD junkie eventually picked up his BMW M3 dream car (obviously there aren't many honda RWD choices, honda only offered the impactical s2000 or very expensive nsx in recent times), but he is the first to say it's perhaps the m3 is not *that much* more thrilling than his Integra despite the RWD and how much more it costs.
Oh good, a "FWD Junkie" doesn't think an E30 M3 is that much more thrilling than his Integra... I'd suggest that's because it a) has power down traction and b) it goes where you point it...

FWD cars are a manufacturing and cost compromise, but they are far from the best driving cars. My last 2 road cars have been performance FWD cars and modern diff technology makes them much better, but I also drove an MX5 and a 3-series Beemer lately and the difference is night and day. Not that exciting to drive, not that exciting to watch.

Quote:
How does it sound?
Exactly the same as the Golf and the Seat...
Old 28 May 2017, 01:55 (Ref:3736542)   #94
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Oh good, a "FWD Junkie" doesn't think an E30 M3 is that much more thrilling than his Integra... I'd suggest that's because it a) has power down traction and b) it goes where you point it...
It was a E46 M3 which is his car (which maybe "should" be more thrilling because aside from RWD it's more powerful, has a bigger engine than an Integra etc), not an E30. Not many people can afford an E30 M3 these days!

I refer to you this glowing endorsement of the Integra being excellent as it seems you need convincing...
Davide Cironi drives Integra

As you saw Cironi (who is very objective IMO, he will say when he thinks a car is crap) had no complaints about the Integra either a) having power down traction and b) going where you point it. He even said he has to pay extra attention because it goes exactly where you point it, not for the absent-minded driver!

Quote:
Davide Cironi says... "(Integra) maybe not just one of the best FWD ever, but maybe one of the best sportscars ever... This is from another planet... Never dangerous, never whimsical, it could be a companion for life."
"FWD cars are a manufacturing and cost compromise"

That's true but there are certain advantages such as lower weight and lower drivetrain loss compared to front-engine real-wheel-drive with a tailshaft. That partially explains how cars like Seat or Civic Type R with just 300bhp can be relatively fast around the Nurburgring compared to more powerful 350-400bhp RWD & AWD cars.

Of course swapping said "cost effective FWD" engine and transaxle unit of a Honda into the middle (where an engine belongs) of a Lotus is a whole lot better and will take it to a whole 'nother level... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqCsss6eVYA But that's not exactly realistic for most people!

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 28 May 2017 at 02:09.
Old 28 May 2017, 03:33 (Ref:3736546)   #95
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
How does it sound?
Certainly quieter than the GTs, but a reasonable note. Wasn't at full pace due to being used as a ride car.
Old 5 Jun 2017, 12:18 (Ref:3738757)   #96
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7Ox7CAZdko

An Australian series would sure be a lot of fun!
Old 5 Jun 2017, 18:28 (Ref:3738840)   #97
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The lightest practical (sporty) RWD cars tend to be at least 1500kg (and very expensive since they are mostly prestige cars), a lot heavier and more expensive than (sporty) FWD hatchbacks.
Sad but true.