Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 16 Apr 2017, 07:51 (Ref:3726814)   #76
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A lot of visits by the nanny car all day, and lots of long delays.... just like watching the 1000 and the 12hr

This race fits in perfectly and should run for many years now.

Looking forward to Easter 2018, should be a lot of new cars again and will be interesting to see how many seconds they can drop off the pole time. Development, what racing should be about.
Old 16 Apr 2017, 09:22 (Ref:3726836)   #77
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
The triple crown.

Bathurst 500/1000 (99/2014)
Bathurst 12 Hour (2007/10)
Bathurst 6 Hour (2017)
And 3rd in the B24 in 2003...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 16 Apr 2017, 09:22 (Ref:3726837)   #78
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Old 16 Apr 2017, 09:55 (Ref:3726843)   #79
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Old 16 Apr 2017, 11:02 (Ref:3726855)   #80
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really pleased for Searle's to get a win, they've been supporters of Australian motorsport for a long time

Why was Barry Graham's name on the car and he didn't have a steer?
Old 16 Apr 2017, 12:25 (Ref:3726907)   #81
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Old 16 Apr 2017, 12:26 (Ref:3726908)   #82
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Really pleased for Searle's to get a win, they've been supporters of Australian motorsport for a long time

Why was Barry Graham's name on the car and he didn't have a steer?
He built & set up the car for the race.

Is it 'Speedway' Barry Graham?
Old 16 Apr 2017, 20:58 (Ref:3727185)   #83
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see my mate Grant finish - albeit 2nd last, must have had some serious issues with the car, but they finished
Old 16 Apr 2017, 22:13 (Ref:3727199)   #84
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Good to see my mate Grant finish - albeit 2nd last, must have had some serious issues with the car, but they finished
The Pedders 86 was apparently squeezed/tapped into a wall by the #1 car during the day. Car was badly hurt..

..yet they fixed it.
Old 17 Apr 2017, 01:26 (Ref:3727233)   #85
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

Great result for Mr Hazelwood..
Old 17 Apr 2017, 06:42 (Ref:3727268)   #86
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
A lot of visits by the nanny car all day, and lots of long delays.... just like watching the 1000 and the 12hr

This race fits in perfectly and should run for many years now.

Looking forward to Easter 2018, should be a lot of new cars again and will be interesting to see how many seconds they can drop off the pole time. Development, what racing should be about.
half the race under safety car, thats a long time

But thats what happens with big fields

and even worse in times race as it doe eat into the race time

Still should fit nicely into a highlights package as a result

and before anyone gets their panties in a knot, love the 6 hour reckon its great, but 3 hours of racing is far from ideal for a 6 hour race

Last edited by peckstar; 17 Apr 2017 at 06:59.
Old 17 Apr 2017, 09:18 (Ref:3727284)   #87
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
half the race under safety car, thats a long time

But thats what happens with big fields

and even worse in times race as it doe eat into the race time

Still should fit nicely into a highlights package as a result

and before anyone gets their panties in a knot, love the 6 hour reckon its great, but 3 hours of racing is far from ideal for a 6 hour race
Agreed Peckstar.

Somehow we can restrict the speed of cars in pit lane but seemingly lack any idea on how to do so on the track to make it safe for cars to be removed without using a safety car.

Not only for this race but for other races too.
Old 17 Apr 2017, 09:21 (Ref:3727285)   #88
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As a side issue, because of the large field many it seemed as if half the field was still travelling at top speed under the safety car to catch the queue.

The Focus got stuck behind a couple of slow cars that were struggling to make inroads into the gap the safety car queue had on them.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 01:31 (Ref:3727447)   #89
Snowman.
Rookie

Snowman. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I ran in the event again this year and I have to say it was fantastic. It's the only race I do each year and for someone like me it's a perfect one off event.

I love the speed differences and the variety. I hope they don't change any rules which will potentially reduce the variety and in fact I'd be more than happy if they increased the options by letting any production car under the $150K cap in - same as what they have done with the National rules.

Total safety car length was mostly from the big engine lunch over the top. I was out there and they had the whole track covered in oil soak from Reid Park to Skyline. It was a BIG clean-up which to be fair was a little unique.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 02:23 (Ref:3727451)   #90
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman. View Post
Total safety car length was mostly from the big engine lunch over the top. I was out there and they had the whole track covered in oil soak from Reid Park to Skyline. It was a BIG clean-up which to be fair was a little unique.
It is possible for any engine to blow up... the Benz on the front straight as a case in point, is there a plan to set age limits for cars eligible for this event in the future?
Old 18 Apr 2017, 02:54 (Ref:3727453)   #91
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
It is possible for any engine to blow up... the Benz on the front straight as a case in point, is there a plan to set age limits for cars eligible for this event in the future?
Surely you are not equating the age of a car with it's propensity for an engine failure.
Any entrant in an endurance event like this would surely ensure that their engine is in tip top condition and thoroughly serviced or rebuilt prior.
Looking down the results, car 21 (Toyota Camry) must surely be one of the oldest cars in the field, ran faultlessly and finished 36th ahead of many newer and more fancied cars.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 03:02 (Ref:3727456)   #92
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see on MY105 there is a used Mercedes A45 for sale for $200,000. Set up for prod car racing.

Isn't this getting a little ridiculous?
Old 18 Apr 2017, 03:17 (Ref:3727458)   #93
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backagain View Post
Surely you are not equating the age of a car with it's propensity for an engine failure.
Any entrant in an endurance event like this would surely ensure that their engine is in tip top condition and thoroughly serviced or rebuilt prior.
Looking down the results, car 21 (Toyota Camry) must surely be one of the oldest cars in the field, ran faultlessly and finished 36th ahead of many newer and more fancied cars.
That car, I believe, has been racing since the late '90/early '00s. The Kirkham Mazda would have a similarly-full log-book.

Having said that, there's already some chatter that there may be an age limit imposed for future events. Could be a good thing, as far as raising the image of Production Car racing in Aus (and lets face it, it needs all the help it can get), but I do empathise with those who are likely to be ousted from the catagory under such circumstances.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 03:23 (Ref:3727459)   #94
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
I see on MY105 there is a used Mercedes A45 for sale for $200,000. Set up for prod car racing.

Iain Sherrin mentioned in the stream mid-race, that they had spent the purchase price of the red rocket +$150K on top to get it on the grid. Unless I miss-heard, that is quite outrageous.

I haven't looked over the ruleset, but I am curious as to what freedoms are allowed these days. I do recall that back when the abovementioned Camry and MX6 first hit the track, what was allowed beyond how it left the showroom floor, was very minimal.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 03:27 (Ref:3727460)   #95
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post

Ad Here

Mr Sherrin was on the stream suggesting the base M4 cost ~$150k, and that their team had spent as much again race preparing the car. Add some spares and wheels and stuff, and that's a metric shedload of dollars!
Old 18 Apr 2017, 03:57 (Ref:3727461)   #96
simonracer
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
simonracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This article just popped up on Speedcafe.

Quote:
Officials to analyse grid sizes for 2018 Bathurst 6H

Bathurst 6 Hour event director James O’Brien will investigate the possibility of lowering the amount of entries for next year’s Mount Panorama production car enduro.

O’Brien’s comments come after a race which was dominated by the Safety Car, which was on track for almost half of the 6-Hour battle.

During the course of the day, the safety car headed the field for 33 laps, eight more than Chaz Mostert and Nathan Morcom who finished in second place, and nine more than race winners Paul Morris and Luke Searle.

A total of 64 cars took the green flag, a new record for endurance racing at Mount Panorama, and according to O’Brien a record that could stand for some time.

“I want to sit down and analyse the race,” O’Brien told Speedcafe.com.

“The amount of safety cars was a little bit excessive; (there was) too much time under yellow and how much of that backs into the size of the field.”

“We might have a close look at what we want to cap the field at.

“Even though 72 cars is the official capacity, and we’ll safety run 72 cars, but I don’t think I’d want to see that after the amount of safety cars.

“Objectively I think we don’t want any more cars than we had, perhaps even less.

“We have an invitational class which has a number of cars which aren’t strictly production cars, and we did that in the early years as we’re chasing entries.

“We’ll closely look at that and see whether that fits in with where we’re going with the production category.”

Attendance for this year’s event was up on the inaugural race in 2016, with 17,487 fans watching on across the three days.

Though yet to be confirmed, it’s also understood there was also a sharp increase in viewers of the live stream, which last year recorded over 60,000 views.

“I think we’ll keep building the event in terms of the quality of the field and the cars and the drivers are raising the professionalism,” O’Brien said when asked about the future of the event.

“It’s still a grass roots, amateur sort of race, but we’ll just be careful of our stewardship of the event and keep it attainable for everyone, but also raise the standard of it.

“I like to look at it strategically in terms of the other endurance races at the Mountain to make sure none of us are competing against each other or cannibalising each other.

“I think it fits within the other two, as sort of the little brother of the three,” he concluded.
I think for the moment it would be a good idea to get rid of the invitational class. There's no real reason to have them there to bolster the grid when there's already 50+ cars in the race.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 04:27 (Ref:3727464)   #97
Umai Naa
Veteran

Three types of car that were in the Invitational class, have their own respective series anyway. Saloon Cars, Pulsars, and Excels.

If they wanted to race at Bathurst going forward, then they need to lobby their catagory management and get on the undercard. Not to mention, that there will be no shortage of rent-a-drives in the 6hr anyway.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 05:42 (Ref:3727469)   #98
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
That car, I believe, has been racing since the late '90/early '00s.
I assume it's the same Camry that raced in the last Bathurst 1000 in 1998, driven by David Ratcliff and Ron Searle.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 05:51 (Ref:3727471)   #99
Umai Naa
Veteran

Could be. There was a red one at a later stage, too.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 07:46 (Ref:3727487)   #100
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
Yet three of the Safety Car periods were for front running cars.