Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 29 Jan 2009, 22:27 (Ref:2382338)   #26
Vicky B
Rookie

Vicky B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He did indeed win the championship posthumously. In the 5 races he contested that season he had 5 poles and 5 wins.
Old 15 Mar 2009, 12:18 (Ref:2415944)   #27
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recall that by the final race of the season Julian Westwood was in a position to win the championship, but deliberately conceded a position at the race finish so as not to beat Paul's points tally, thus ensuring him a posthumous championship. Nice gesture.
Old 16 Mar 2009, 14:19 (Ref:2416690)   #28
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycuk View Post
I recall that by the final race of the season Julian Westwood was in a position to win the championship, but deliberately conceded a position at the race finish so as not to beat Paul's points tally, thus ensuring him a posthumous championship. Nice gesture.
This is not accurate it was Swedish driver Fredrik Ekblom who could have taken the title from Paul at Donington however he could only finish 4th. There wasn't any conceding any places etc it was won fair and square by Paul.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 09:48 (Ref:2425106)   #29
Matt Speakman
Rookie

Matt Speakman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Derry Warwick

Pauls father Derry passed away on the 15th; back with his son Paul and wife Bea a good time must be going on up there

Yesterday was Derrys funeral; a wonderful ceremony to send off a Family man, a Friend, and a Gentleman.

RIP
Old 29 Apr 2009, 16:30 (Ref:2452290)   #30
nycuk
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersports View Post
This is not accurate it was Swedish driver Fredrik Ekblom who could have taken the title from Paul at Donington however he could only finish 4th. There wasn't any conceding any places etc it was won fair and square by Paul.
Thundersports, of course you're completely correct. The hazards of relying on memory alone...
Old 21 Jul 2009, 06:55 (Ref:2505231)   #31
Vicky B
Rookie

18 years today - I still remember it as if it was yesterday.

RIP
Old 21 Jul 2009, 08:14 (Ref:2505258)   #32
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Vicky,

The tragic events of Sunday at Brands Hatch immediately brought Paul to mind. Incredible to think it was 18 years ago.
Old 21 Jul 2009, 08:27 (Ref:2505265)   #33
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Gosh, was it really that long ago? I remember being totally numbed when I heard the news, much as I was on Sunday night with young Henry.
Old 21 Jul 2009, 09:03 (Ref:2505296)   #34
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Yes, I too had thought of Paul after Sunday's tragic events. I was there on that day, thankfully at Lodge.

R.I.P
Old 21 Jul 2009, 13:07 (Ref:2505436)   #35
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
18 years ago but only seems like last week I was watching Paul dominate the British F3000 championship.
RIP
Old 30 Jul 2009, 21:38 (Ref:2511965)   #36
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I should have been at that meeting with the PCGB team I worked for at that time but the sunday was my 21st birthday so instead I was nursing a hangover in Newquay. When I got back on the Monday to work they were all shell shocked. They had been waiting behind or in front of the MM garage when news got back about the accident and the fact that Paul had not survived. They said some of the scenes in the garage with family and team were the most harrowing they had ever seen in racing.

On the one hand he went out whilst leading with an absolutely 100% perfect record, which I guess is some consolation. But was anything learned or changed after the event? Did Oulton become safer? Could any car have withstood the hit and kept the driver in the car? I heard rumours that the familyw ere given the circuit tapes of the accident, I assume the MSA looked at them first?
Old 30 Jul 2009, 23:01 (Ref:2512031)   #37
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
The MSA did and Knickerbrook was altered.
Old 30 Jul 2009, 23:38 (Ref:2512056)   #38
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where was it that Andy Coulson perished the year after? He was a very popular guy and a real racer.
Old 31 Jul 2009, 13:43 (Ref:2512450)   #39
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
The same year about a month before Paul died, testing a Reynard formula Renault he crashed at Knickerbrook as well.
Old 5 Aug 2009, 15:54 (Ref:2516196)   #40
nycuk
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post
I heard rumours that the familyw ere given the circuit tapes of the accident, I assume the MSA looked at them first?
There was spectator footage also, but I believe the police are in possession of that.

I found some photos last week taken that day. The shots I took of the cars from Cascades (where I was watching from) went into an album and are looked at fairly regularly. But the pictures I found were ones that I'd forgotten about, still in their packet, some that didn't make it into the album, just ones of my family having a picnic between races, mundane stuff like that. Seemed strange to see us all happy and having fun, little did we know what would happen later that afternoon.

Doesn't feel like 18 years ago.
Old 21 Jul 2010, 08:59 (Ref:2730005)   #41
Vicky B
Rookie

Another year passes, but you are still in my thoughts. RIP Paul, you will never be forgotten. xxx
Old 21 Jul 2010, 09:28 (Ref:2730020)   #42
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
R.I.P Paul
Old 21 Jul 2010, 12:05 (Ref:2730086)   #43
Coral
Rookie

Scotland
Scotland
Coral should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
R.I.P. Paul...forever remembered. xxx
Old 21 Jul 2010, 13:48 (Ref:2730156)   #44
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
R.I.P
Old 21 Jul 2011, 21:18 (Ref:2929596)   #45
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
20 years ago today R.I.P
Old 21 Jul 2011, 22:19 (Ref:2929620)   #46
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I can remember this well as I was at that meeting, a tragic loss.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 21 Jul 2011, 22:19 (Ref:2929621)   #47
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
20 years ago, crikey.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 08:52 (Ref:2929719)   #48
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Autosport have done a fitting tribute to Paul in this week's print edition as well as a feature online here too. A truly dreadful loss, still just as chilling 20 years on. RIP Paul.
Old 21 Jul 2016, 21:03 (Ref:3660027)   #49
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
25 years ago today
RIP

Last edited by Thundersports; 21 Jul 2016 at 21:27.
Old 21 Jul 2021, 20:15 (Ref:4062583)   #50
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
30 years since that sad day at Oulton Park.