Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 7 May 2016, 07:36 (Ref:3639355)   #1
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Nico Rosberg

How good is this guy? He'll win all the races this year. Keep that form up and he might even win multiple titles. Beating Hamilton on a regular basis is no easy feat considering how last year panned out.
Old 9 May 2016, 18:31 (Ref:3640417)   #2
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I have no doubt that Rosberg is very good. Hamilton is probably the fastest man in F1 at the moment, and Rosberg has shown himself capable of beating him regularly, both in qualifying and in racing. Sure, Rosberg is benefiting from having the best car, but he's putting it to good use. What remains to be seen is if he has the mental stamina and resilience to build a title challenge over 21 races.
Old 9 May 2016, 19:18 (Ref:3640439)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He's good.
Old 10 May 2016, 12:28 (Ref:3640606)   #4
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
He's good. Dunno if he's good good. I wouldn't say he's good good good. But he's definitely good.
Old 10 May 2016, 13:53 (Ref:3640620)   #5
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Statistically the driver who has won the first three races has gone on to win the title, so Rosberg is in a good position now having won four. Of course it'll be interesting when Hamilton has a trouble free weekend, but I have a feeling Rosberg may have enough this year to take the title. As BSF said, he's got the stamina for the 21 races
Old 10 May 2016, 16:54 (Ref:3640653)   #6
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Nico is an excellent driver, he drives a Mercedes after all and could win the title this year if his mental stamina hold together ..
Old 10 May 2016, 19:26 (Ref:3640691)   #7
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He is a good driver, not absolutely top drawer, he is in far and away the best car so with a touch of good fortune of course he can win the title.
Old 11 May 2016, 03:03 (Ref:3640763)   #8
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Of course it'll be interesting when Hamilton has a trouble free weekend
Has Hamilton really had a disastrous start to the season? In the first 2 races of the season he qualified on pole each time and finished 2nd and 3rd because other people drove faster than him.

China was a problem. Because of reliability issues he qualified last and although he could have finished higher, he didn't drive to his usual high standard and finished 7th. Again in Russia there were qualifying issues but he finished 2nd.

While Rosberg has had a dream start to to the season winning the last 2 races from pole to flag, he plain out-drove Hamilton in the first 2 races.
Old 11 May 2016, 10:24 (Ref:3640825)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
Has Hamilton really had a disastrous start to the season?
Nope. It's been pretty good really, consistently bagged points even though he's had problems. Rosberg has had a cleaner season than Hamilton so far and consequently got the wins and the points lead. I think Rosberg will still need some more problems for Hamilton if he's going to win the title - on raw pace alone he's not quite good enough.
Old 11 May 2016, 10:31 (Ref:3640829)   #10
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Certainly, due to our old friend Laura Vaverages Nico is currently better off than Lewis, plus he has a slight buffer of a points lead which reduces the pressure a little. However, Lewis is a fighter/racer/battler and will not give up ...
Old 11 May 2016, 17:44 (Ref:3640932)   #11
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Of course, part of Nico's advantage is down to the current points system, which was introduced to reward winning more highly.
Old 12 May 2016, 12:06 (Ref:3641114)   #12
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Of course, part of Nico's advantage is down to the current points system, which was introduced to reward winning more highly.

Previously the system was 10 to 6, win to second. Currently 25 to 18.

10 x 2.5 = 25 Win
6 x 2.5 = 15 Second at old scoring rate.

So the new points system counts against the wins, never mind the placings beyond 6th.
Old 12 May 2016, 14:49 (Ref:3641143)   #13
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think due to the ban on data transfer via radios in 2016, this has played into Rosbergs hands perfectly, whereas it has exposed the fact the Hamilton cannot work things out and decide for himself......a good example is the starts, it appears Rosberg is able to feel the track on the warm-up lap, then dial in the clutch settings himself.......whereas Hamilton is on his back-side and has not yet made an even average start this season.......this was also exposed when he was at McLaren where Button could decide tyre strategies for himself, and Hamilton needed his backside wiped by the team on every occasion, dont get me wrong, hamilton is extremely fast, but 2016 has proven that Rosberg can think for himself and stand on his own two feet, Hamilton cannot and needs to do some more growing up.
Old 12 May 2016, 19:46 (Ref:3641204)   #14
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Basically Nico has made hay while the sun shined and a lot of people who wondered whether he'd ever get the chance to win the title have been proven wrong. Knighty you make a good point about the new radio rules, I can imagine Rosberg would adapt better, because he just gets on with the job
Old 12 May 2016, 19:47 (Ref:3641207)   #15
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Previously the system was 10 to 6, win to second. Currently 25 to 18.

10 x 2.5 = 25 Win

6 x 2.5 = 15 Second at old scoring rate.

So the new points system counts against the wins, never mind the placings beyond 6th.

Yeah, but you forget the old 8 points would be 20 under the new system, so it's better for wins than that system
Old 15 May 2016, 20:54 (Ref:3641906)   #16
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
On the three years Schumi was his teammate, Nico was the only Mercedes GP driver that could win, in the third season... That says much that he's a proper good driver.
Old 18 May 2016, 13:26 (Ref:3642640)   #17
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Could he be on the verge of joining Ferrari to replace Kimi?

I doubt it, just because I don't think Marchionne will want 2 Germans drivers in the team but I think more and more after last weekend that Merc will have at least one change of drivers come the end of the season.
Old 18 May 2016, 13:30 (Ref:3642641)   #18
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Could he be on the verge of joining Ferrari to replace Kimi?

I doubt it, just because I don't think Marchionne will want 2 Germans drivers in the team but I think more and more after last weekend that Merc will have at least one change of drivers come the end of the season.
Brexit?
Old 18 May 2016, 13:33 (Ref:3642643)   #19
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Brexit?
Old 18 May 2016, 16:50 (Ref:3642674)   #20
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
If Mercedes have any sense, they will want to keep Hamilton for as long as possible, and, despite Rosberg's current run of success, I think everything else is subordinate to that. If they can manage both drivers, fine. If they can't, and if they absolutely have to choose, it surely has to be Lewis over Nico.
Old 19 May 2016, 01:01 (Ref:3642744)   #21
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
If Mercedes have any sense, they will want to keep Hamilton for as long as possible, and, despite Rosberg's current run of success, I think everything else is subordinate to that. If they can manage both drivers, fine. If they can't, and if they absolutely have to choose, it surely has to be Lewis over Nico.
What if they have Alonso?
Old 19 May 2016, 11:47 (Ref:3642855)   #22
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
At the risk of being controversial, I think the Spaniard is past his best. Button has generally been able to handle him at McLaren. In any event, I suspect Alonso will stick it out at McLaren in case Honda come good.
Old 19 May 2016, 14:55 (Ref:3642898)   #23
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
from a salary point of view (and we never really know how F1 contracts work), what penalties would there be if Merc dropped LH from his long term contract?

in that light, i could see a swap for LH and Alonso but i dont see Alonso replacing Nico.

no doubt Merc can afford the two highest paid f1 drivers on the same roster but is it worth the risk given that they already have a 1-2 lineup for much less money?

Quote:
At the risk of being controversial, I think the Spaniard is past his best.
im going to join you out on that limb and say i agree.

Nico is much better value and clearly more than capable of coexisting with and beating LH.
Old 19 May 2016, 15:12 (Ref:3642902)   #24
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Just shows how you can go from hero to zero in a season or two.
Remember FA battling that dog of a Ferrari?
Then he was battling at the back of the grid in a McClaren, if it kept going.
I rate Alonso still. Give him the equipment he is ruthless. I cannot seeing LH wanting him in a Merc as a team mate.
Old 19 May 2016, 15:32 (Ref:3642910)   #25
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
rate him highly of course but a couple of years makes a huge difference in the life of an athlete.

when is the last time a driver won a title over the age of 35?