Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 26 Aug 2005, 19:26 (Ref:1392071)   #26
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GPC can run the Aston in GT1 and the Ferrari in GT2 .. don't see a problem with that

Ciao Marco
Old 26 Aug 2005, 20:19 (Ref:1392109)   #27
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Besides that I think it's more difficult to make a TVR competative than a Porsche. Correct me if I am wrong.
I was thinking of the year that they were harrying the Alex Job cars with the #60, frequently featuring an excellent partner for Liddell, such as Caffi. Making a Porsche competitive against the factory backed Job cars in the ALMS at that point was no mean feat, and I think a Porsche prepared to that standard would be quite dominant in the LMES now, more so than the TVRs.

I know this comes across like a defence of PK Sport when I just said LNT deserved it more. I just wanted to clarify that I was talking more about business sense than car prep ability, since they were looking for a distributor as well as a team to run the Esperante. LNT seems to fit that bill.
Old 29 Aug 2005, 01:46 (Ref:1393394)   #28
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
I love the TVR's myself and wished they did better whenever they came out to play, but I think it does come down to how well TVR was supporting their car. Panoz has the things in place for the car to be competitive, it just needs more testing and development

The ACO taking our front diffuser off didn't help, but it seem the car (Liddell/Auberlien) is getting closer to the front as they are still looking for the balance the car had earlier this season.

Plus it was the ONLY OTHER GT car that could keep pace with the 911's at Le Mans and we all know that's a good sign.

I'm excited about the F430 and I hope somebody runs them. JMB is in America also. They are currently running the Grand Am Rolex series, but I'm sure they would JUMP at the chance to run ALMS again.

Who knows what will happen in 2006 alot of things could change. Pacific Coast made the jump from Toyota Atlantic to ALMS this year and they seem happy with the change so who knows how many new teams and cars could show up...
Old 29 Aug 2005, 16:41 (Ref:1393775)   #29
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wonder if anyone else in something like Grand Am would jump ship if the opportunity came along for an F430 project - I find it a shame that LNT are leaving behind the TVR's because the car started to show potential that it could be a future Porsche-beater. A 2006 GT2 season battle between Porsche, Ferrari, TVR and Panoz would have been simply mouthwatering... we'll have to settle for it without a TVR by the looks of things, unless there's time for TVR to get behind it more with a different outfit...?
Old 29 Aug 2005, 18:11 (Ref:1393842)   #30
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Snapper
It was on DSC yesterday, they out bid PK Sport for the contract, Mike Pickup was told he had it but then LNT came in with a late bid. LNT appears to be diversifying after a troubled year with the TVRs!
Thats good news to hear that PK has the finances to go racing again . Hope somebody runs a couple of TVR's though . Be sad not too as we have seen how they can go .
Old 29 Aug 2005, 18:13 (Ref:1393844)   #31
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Besides that I think it's more difficult to make a TVR competative than a Porsche. Correct me if I am wrong.
The big differance is the fact that when you buy a Porsche , it is ready to race straight from the box .
Old 29 Aug 2005, 18:24 (Ref:1393849)   #32
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
The big differance is the fact that when you buy a Porsche , it is ready to race straight from the box .
That's my point.
Old 29 Aug 2005, 19:49 (Ref:1393943)   #33
The Badger
Veteran

Then we agree
Old 30 Aug 2005, 08:21 (Ref:1394266)   #34
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Actually this current Panoz was competitive out of the box. They ran well at Sebring but teething problems put them back early. Otherwise they were lapping on pace. The cars again showed form at Road Atlanta and while the finish is up for some discussion for the bumping, the car was competitive and deserved that win even if Liddell was "blocking".

At Mid-Ohio an early accident put both cars behind and Sellers car went out later with engine failure but he was lapping within a couple of thousands.

At Le Mans they were able to lead early and then the trouble started but both cars lasted awhile and the sister car came out Sunday morning still running.

After that the ACO came down on the Aston and the Panoz since they both showed up at Le Mans with special low downforce front ends.

Because Panoz effectively used up all there testing time earlier in the season, they haven't been able to find the balance the car as needed to run at the front. They are still good enough to run in the top 5 considering the quality of the other cars.

So that being said, besides the top 3-4 teams in FIAGT or LMES, I think the Panoz will do well, very well over in europe where the more flowing tracks suit the car better than are smaller tracks.

I'm excited, if they get an invite to Pre-Qual at Le Mans and make the race, at least somebody would break up the Porsche stranglehold on the GT class.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 08:35 (Ref:1394278)   #35
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was disappointed at LM, I thought they would last longer. BUT for sure they have the potential to get into the mix, especially in LMES where 1000km races can turn into a box of surprises. LNT did a good job of running their TVRs but here I reckon they have a superior weapon, let's see how much support they get from the factory and how well they can heklp develop the endurance of the cars. let's not forget that these Panozes already won one round on ALMS this year!
Old 30 Aug 2005, 16:24 (Ref:1394597)   #36
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie
Actually this current Panoz was competitive out of the box. They ran well at Sebring but teething problems put them back early. Otherwise they were lapping on pace.
Then they wernt competitive out of the box
Old 30 Aug 2005, 16:27 (Ref:1394601)   #37
The Badger
Veteran

What happened to the proposed Courage-Panoz link-up ?
Old 30 Aug 2005, 17:45 (Ref:1394677)   #38
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's a question I've asked, too.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 30 Aug 2005, 23:04 (Ref:1395028)   #39
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
That's a question I've asked, too.
It's too bad, seemed to be a good idea in concept. Sportscar racing is undoubtedly a fickle and marginal business for most players, though, and one can't help but feel that many major players talk a great deal about their ideas before assessing mutual goals or the bottom line.
Old 13 Sep 2005, 14:19 (Ref:1406698)   #40
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just found this story regarding the new LNT Panoz's that are going to be entered in FIA GT in 2006, I must say it looks very good IMO and Patrick Pearce seems to like the car too, which is now at the teams workshop.
Old 13 Sep 2005, 14:35 (Ref:1406706)   #41
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Like the look of that - shame there's nothing about entering any national championships with the car yet... I'd trapse around the UK every week if it meant seeing that beast in action! No matter what state BGT is in!
Old 13 Sep 2005, 16:46 (Ref:1406779)   #42
Joe Taylor
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warwickshire, UK
Joe Taylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just wait for the Silverstone 1000km (or wherever FIA GTs are racing next year) to see it in action