Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 3 Mar 2008, 21:31 (Ref:2143599)   #1
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dale jr to race at Indy?

Hows this for a pie in the sky fantasy - John Barnes of Panther Racing has offered Dale jr a ride in the Indy 500.

http://mvn.com/irl/2008/03/03/indyca...ng-at-sebring/

There is an obvious link with the National Guard sponsorship, but I can't see this one coming together... but then again thats what we thought about a merger.

Old 3 Mar 2008, 21:36 (Ref:2143601)   #2
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
HA!

i'd pull for him but i would doubt he would make it in his first try at OW racing. the brickyard is too tough.
i'd LOVE to see it tho!
Old 3 Mar 2008, 22:53 (Ref:2143652)   #3
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think that we will see Jr. at Indy anytime soon, though Robby Gordon has said that he might try and do it this year, and Kevin Harvick has said that he would like to try it at some point.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 06:28 (Ref:2143840)   #4
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd doubt it. He's not an open-wheel guy. It's more likely to see Tony Stewart or Robby Gordon. I'm not saying that Tony will race, nor have I heard anything suggesting it. But I speculate that aside from Robby Gordon he would more likely to race at Indy.

But doesn't the Coca Cola 600 start like 2 hours after Indy is over this year? That's not enough time to get a NASCAR driver to Charlotte in time.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 07:13 (Ref:2143858)   #5
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well Robby Gordon has tried it out a couple of times in the past; I'd like Harvick and/or Dale jr to be at Indy
Old 4 Mar 2008, 08:59 (Ref:2143931)   #6
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb
well Robby Gordon has tried it out a couple of times in the past; I'd like Harvick and/or Dale jr to be at Indy
But the Indy 500 now starts later meaning double duty is all but impossible and just a fading memory.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 10:53 (Ref:2144023)   #7
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
You are right, chavez.

Also, you have to consider the contractual obligations Dale jr might have which could keep him out of a seat - both promotional and environmental. He may be limited as to what he can do with his free time.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 12:21 (Ref:2144085)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is impossible, I think if you tried double duty you'd barely make it back to Lowe's in time for the 600. It's just too tight.

I'd love it if they altered the times though, I wanna see Ganassi field JPM again.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 12:28 (Ref:2144094)   #9
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I weren't informed about this time shift, in any case, should a significant number of Nascar stars be interested,in the future, walking in TG's shoes, I'd make it possible again
Old 4 Mar 2008, 16:53 (Ref:2144271)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yea, it'd be nice to see the two championships work together on this for 2009, to either move Indy to later in the day, or the NASCAR race to the Saturday? For 2008 it's not really realistic, unless another driver started the NASCAR race for you.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 17:01 (Ref:2144274)   #11
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i'm all for the two series working together so drivers could try the double but it will be up to Indy to move the 500 back to an earlier (more original) race time; i don't think they would start the 600 any later. day to night is the way it's always been and NASCAR will NOT move that race to Saturday. like the 500, the 600 is a Memorial Day weekend classic, always run on Sunday. with Monday (in the States) as a holiday, i think both races will always run on Sunday.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 17:07 (Ref:2144279)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, the ball is in Indycar's court with respect of changing the start time.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 18:01 (Ref:2144322)   #13
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
The only real solution that I see, is for in 2009 NASCAR doesn't have a race on the same weekend as the Indy 500.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 18:04 (Ref:2144324)   #14
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
run the Nascar race on saturday night- then all the guys can come over
Old 4 Mar 2008, 18:11 (Ref:2144327)   #15
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
haha, it seems the table's have turned.... All these open wheel guy's gone to NASCAR, now Kevin Harvick and Robby Gordon have mentioned going to open wheel lol.

It would be nice to see dale jr at Indy, but I dont know how well he would do. But it sure woud boost TV ratings and give some NASCAR, or dale jr fans a taste of Indycar.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 18:28 (Ref:2144337)   #16
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
The only real solution that I see, is for in 2009 NASCAR doesn't have a race on the same weekend as the Indy 500.
They're both Memorial Day classics. Taking either one off is complete blasphemy.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 18:39 (Ref:2144350)   #17
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
They're both Memorial Day classics. Taking either one off is complete blasphemy.
I know that they are both classics, but the 600 was started as a way for NASCAR to compete with the Indy 500, so I think that if we are going to have drivers compete in both races, then NASCAR needs to move its schedule around.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 18:42 (Ref:2144353)   #18
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
NASCAR won't budge for Indy, the 600 pulls higher ratings at the moment. If Indy wants to attract NASCAR drivers, it'll be the one to move.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 19:03 (Ref:2144372)   #19
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce
NASCAR won't budge for Indy, the 600 pulls higher ratings at the moment. If Indy wants to attract NASCAR drivers, it'll be the one to move.
For the past two years, Indy has had higher ratings than the 600, and with the unification, Indy's ratings should be higher again this year.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 19:26 (Ref:2144384)   #20
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Not a hope. NAPCAR won't move. Smoke and Robby have Indy car experience. Jr. does not. I don't think he has ever driven an open wheel car in anger.
Even qualifying would be difficult time wise although it is the car that qualifies not the driver. He would also have to pass the rookie test although that could be mid week.
Old 5 Mar 2008, 03:15 (Ref:2144639)   #21
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NASCAR is too big for them to acqueiese to Indy. Heck, they probably won't get Dale Jr to race at Indy unless he had a competitive chance. If he's going to be a bottom feeder then no dice. But if he was with a team where he was going to be in the top 10 for sure then maybe.

NASCAR is not going to let their marquee star get humiliated in a 'lower' series.
Old 6 Mar 2008, 17:02 (Ref:2145774)   #22
Racer

Antarctica
FL
2112 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy

I wanna see Ganassi field JPM again.
I don`t think that Montoya shares that feeling
Old 6 Mar 2008, 19:13 (Ref:2145853)   #23
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
I'll bet Franchitti would do it, given the chance.
Old 8 Mar 2008, 23:48 (Ref:2147176)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112
I don`t think that Montoya shares that feeling
No he doesn't I don't think, but it's a nice dream.
Old 9 Mar 2008, 00:20 (Ref:2147194)   #25
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps a Nascar driver that does not have much chance in making the Chase could race both. However, I think that if a driver is in competition for the chase they would have a hard time getting the team owner giving approval.