Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 26 Feb 2009, 23:53 (Ref:2405012)   #1
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Phillip Island Classic 2009

I can't believe there isn't a thread devoted to this event already, it's just two weeks away, entries closed weeks ago and it's gonna be huge.

We're flying in Friday morning to spectate and really looking forward to it.

cheers,
Old 27 Feb 2009, 06:47 (Ref:2405137)   #2
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON
I can't believe there isn't a thread devoted to this event already, it's just two weeks away, entries closed weeks ago and it's gonna be huge.

We're flying in Friday morning to spectate and really looking forward to it.

cheers,
what date is it?
is it on TV?
Old 27 Feb 2009, 09:29 (Ref:2405215)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I've been to Aus in Feb twice in 4 years and missed this both times so it pains me to talk about it . . . . suffice to say the outlaws don't understand motorsport
Old 28 Feb 2009, 03:09 (Ref:2405850)   #4
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Bailey
what date is it?
is it on TV?
March 13-15
Not now
Old 8 Mar 2009, 09:47 (Ref:2411455)   #5
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Bullett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So are there many people heading down? Im heading down Thursday, crowd for this event is usually huge, disappointed to not see the Veskanda on the list especially with the C9 there
Old 8 Mar 2009, 09:55 (Ref:2411460)   #6
bstrat
Rookie

Australia
Belgrave
bstrat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullett View Post
So are there many people heading down? Im heading down Thursday, crowd for this event is usually huge, disappointed to not see the Veskanda on the list especially with the C9 there
I read on the vhrr site that the c9 isnt wont be there. But its not on the site anymore.
Old 8 Mar 2009, 22:41 (Ref:2411690)   #7
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flag Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstrat View Post
I read on the vhrr site that the c9 isnt wont be there. But its not on the site anymore.
Stilll looks like a reasonable roll up considering the world economic kerfuffle and the fires and earthquakes down that way.

Safe trip to everyone...I'm travelling down Thursday too...

Does anyone know if ALL the flagpoints now are covered and have some place to sit/rest built in (say like the one drivers left at the southern loop)
Old 10 Mar 2009, 11:51 (Ref:2412897)   #8
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstrat View Post
If the weather is as predicted he may not venture out
Old 12 Mar 2009, 00:27 (Ref:2414011)   #9
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm going down on Sat & Sun, lets hope the weather is good or at least lots of breaks between showers...
Old 12 Mar 2009, 01:59 (Ref:2414039)   #10
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
275- Do you mean FP4? I think thats the one that you mean, if it is, it had cover last year at the V8500, thats where I was.

I'll be there, with bells on, it should be a good meeting.

On an aside, pack your wet weather gear, the forcasts are for rain
Old 13 Mar 2009, 12:14 (Ref:2414858)   #11
inpitlane
Veteran

Suber is running, Seton in a Group C Porsche

The Sauber Mercedes has turned up and I see Seto is in a Porsche 962 C. The Veskanda is also racing. It's an amazing turn up but the weather looks dodgy with the first decent rain in almost 6 months forecast for Saturday and showers Sunday.
Should still be fabulous but very frustrating for us that we can't film it all.
This will be the first local historic meeting in 13 years we've missed and I'm really ****ed off
Old 14 Mar 2009, 08:34 (Ref:2415360)   #12
inpitlane
Veteran

man did it rain. Forgotten what that was like, happy for the downpour but the timing could've been better.
Not that much action on track. Apart from Tony Jones Porsche ending up on its roof in the Grp S race,
The Sauber is stunning close up, beautiful construction and design great to see it again after all these years.
Sad though to hear that the future of this event might be under threat.
Linfox have apparently increased the track rental by around $40'000, One VHRR member said that it's all a part of a plan to try and push them out of the picture so that Fox can turn it into an invitation elite Goodwood Festival type event which would also feature modern cars.
Lot's of angry competitors as well being pushed down into the mud so that the paved areas can be used for trade stands and VIP areas.
Old 14 Mar 2009, 23:26 (Ref:2415746)   #13
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane View Post
Lot's of angry competitors as well being pushed down into the mud so that the paved areas can be used for trade stands and VIP areas.
Sucks hey. Perhaps the Tradies have forgotten why they're there.
Old 16 Mar 2009, 06:39 (Ref:2416420)   #14
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I only ended up going on Sunday, got a call that the rain had stopped racing on Sat although I understand that there was still some. Of course it rained again Sunday - the worst area of mud in the pits was probably outside the Grp Nc marquees, it was to the stage that the cars would have had trouble getting out. The next row of sports cars was almost as bad - but what can you do? I've seen spectators cars sitting on their floorpans at Winton when it has rained. There have been more big sheds & other improvements since last year, which would have to be paid for, and I presume it will continue.

Anyway on track the racing was pretty good as usual. When I have more time to go through pictures etc I will write some more.
Old 16 Mar 2009, 09:51 (Ref:2416503)   #15
ivision
Rookie

ivision should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all, made the trip down Sunday arvo to my first ever PI Classic. Here are some pics, enjoy!

Old 16 Mar 2009, 10:59 (Ref:2416549)   #16
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PI

Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane View Post
man did it rain. Forgotten what that was like, happy for the downpour but the timing could've been better.
Not that much action on track. Apart from Tony Jones Porsche ending up on its roof in the Grp S race,
The Sauber is stunning close up, beautiful construction and design great to see it again after all these years.
Sad though to hear that the future of this event might be under threat.
Linfox have apparently increased the track rental by around $40'000, One VHRR member said that it's all a part of a plan to try and push them out of the picture so that Fox can turn it into an invitation elite Goodwood Festival type event which would also feature modern cars.
Maybe Lindsey Fox ought to grab a set of Wellington Boots and wander about his superlative facilities...he may own it, but whilst the track is in reasonable shape, nothing appears to have been spent on the facilities...apart from one new shed. The tunnel under the track is pathetic as is the layout of the pits.

I sincerely hope that what you are asserting is not true about "an invitation elite Goodwood Festival type event" which could kill the goose that laid the golden egg once and for all and just become and invitation only trackday
Old 16 Mar 2009, 12:22 (Ref:2416613)   #17
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Needless to say, I had a ball!!! I know the weather got bad and it was probably very uncomfortable for the spectators and other competitors. but spare a thought for the flaggies and other marshalls!! What a great job they did all weekend in what could only be described as conditions that were challenging to their dedication. I certainly appreciated their efforts and the paying public who really make an event special for the competitors.
Cheers
David
Old 17 Mar 2009, 00:41 (Ref:2417087)   #18
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wow, was that wet!!! Us flaggies got brought in from the track to hide in the muster shed for a couple of hours (thanks to those upstairs )

The Sauber was astoundingly quick IMO, I was at FP1, and he STILL had his boot in it as he passed us, ~150m from Turn one

David: Great driving to hold off the other BM's off the start line, I thought you did well, I was cheering you on.
Old 18 Mar 2009, 02:14 (Ref:2417958)   #19
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Despite the weather, we had a great time. So many fabulous cars and some good racing. Well done to all the M3 drivers, David Towe, Bill Cutler and of course Glenn Seton. The Sauber and the Group C Porsches were just awesome, kudos to Paul Stubber too! I really must bring a car with me next year................
Old 18 Mar 2009, 03:20 (Ref:2417971)   #20
inpitlane
Veteran

From last night's In Pit Lane News:
Quote:
Victorian Historic Racing Register President Ian Tate has angrily denied rumours concerning the event's future.
A number of competitors spoke with In Pit Lane at the circuit claiming that they were being priced out of the event.
According to Mr Tate entry fees for this years event were only 5% up on last year in line with the CPI.
He denied any plans by the VHRR to turn the event into an elite Goodwood style meeting catering mainly to International competitors and high profile cars.
One change that was confirmed was a move to an early February date to better fit in with the New Zealand season.
Old 18 Mar 2009, 07:35 (Ref:2418024)   #21
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
I had a lot of fun, kudos to the Group S guys who seemed to cop the most of the weather everytime they went out all weekend. Thanks to the flaggies/volunteers and the fire/rescue etc. it couldn't have happened without you. Although I cannot for the life of me understand why there had to be a 1 hour drivers briefing at 5pm Friday. It could have been done in 15-20 minutes like it was at Sandown last year. But alas he loves the sound of his own voice...
Old 19 Mar 2009, 02:57 (Ref:2418880)   #22
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullett View Post
But alas he loves the sound of his own voice...
Where have I heard that before??
Old 19 Mar 2009, 08:38 (Ref:2419005)   #23
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
David: Great driving to hold off the other BM's off the start line, I thought you did well, I was cheering you on.
Thanks for the good wishes posted here and the PMs I've received. I had a look at Auto Action today and their report on the meeting didn't make mention of my efforts or Bill Cutler's, and I didn't even get shown in the background of a picture, maybe I need 4 more cylinders to earn a mention? I do it for the competition and the fun, but it would be nice once in a while to see something when I've had a good run.
Old 19 Mar 2009, 09:00 (Ref:2419042)   #24
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Yoo Toob

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe View Post
Thanks for the good wishes posted here and the PMs I've received. I had a look at Auto Action today and their report on the meeting didn't make mention of my efforts or Bill Cutler's, and I didn't even get shown in the background of a picture, maybe I need 4 more cylinders to earn a mention? I do it for the competition and the fun, but it would be nice once in a while to see something when I've had a good run.
Great start David...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHE6R19_5t4
Old 19 Mar 2009, 09:20 (Ref:2419066)   #25
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
What a brilliant video! I loved every minute of it. Sometimes I don't get to see enough track action, this was great to see.

Tags
historic racing