Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 5 Jul 2016, 14:22 (Ref:3657075)   #1
Blindguidedog
Rookie

United Kingdom
Blindguidedog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1600 16v cars

So I'm pretty set on taking up rally cross! I won't be racing until the middle of next season due to work commitments sending me away a lot but I have started researching, looking at attending events and sorting a car, which is where my next question comes in...

What cars are people using and why, particularly in the production 1600 16v?

I plan on doing most of the work myself (YouTube and a couple of calls to the father in law) which will be the interesting bit as my mechanical experience is limited to coil packs, spare wheels and one assisted camper van engine and gearbox swap. The main question for this element is about the performance. It says chips are approved but no Ammendments allowed to the EMU, is this different from an ECU remap as I'm being led to believe this would be permitted?

From what I am seeing production class is heavily in favour of the saxo vts followed by the 106 gti. Not one to follow trends I'm looking into a c2 vts or possible a polo gti. I have noticed a couple of C2s but on different forums and often costing well into the tens of thousands. Why are there not many in the production categories or am I just looking in the wrong places???

I'm also looking to get in contact with anyone near Shrewsbury/West Midlands who does rallycross as I'm finding no one/nothing local. I'm very grateful for the information I've already been provided regarding the official events and getting started but I'm curios if people actually get to drive their car much other than every couple of months at these events.

Any info is genuinely appreciated.

Regards,

Jordan.
Old 6 Jul 2016, 13:50 (Ref:3657266)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindguidedog View Post
So I'm pretty set on taking up rally cross!
Excellent

Quote:
From what I am seeing production class is heavily in favour of the saxo vts followed by the 106 gti. Not one to follow trends I'm looking into a c2 vts or possible a polo gti. I have noticed a couple of C2s but on different forums and often costing well into the tens of thousands. Why are there not many in the production categories or am I just looking in the wrong places???
Saxos are plentiful and cheap - lots available in scrap yards to get spare panels and mechanical bits and bobs from, they're also very light (much the same reasons stock hatch class was full of 205's). The C2's that are in the 10's of thousands are more likely to be Super 1600 cars (so highly modified, pukka racing engines, gearboxes etc etc).

Quote:
but I'm curios if people actually get to drive their car much other than every couple of months at these events.
Apart from the race events (MSA or BTRDA) there are usually a couple of days days a year. Other than that you're limited for options for driving the car competitively on mixed surfaces. The car can be used for trackdays, sprints, autocross and autotests as well though so if you've got the time and budget there are plenty of other ways of getting out and about in the car.
Old 6 Jul 2016, 16:14 (Ref:3657289)   #3
Blindguidedog
Rookie

United Kingdom
Blindguidedog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Excellent

Saxos are plentiful and cheap - lots available in scrap yards to get spare panels and mechanical bits and bobs from, they're also very light (much the same reasons stock hatch class was full of 205's). The C2's that are in the 10's of thousands are more likely to be Super 1600 cars (so highly modified, pukka racing engines, gearboxes etc etc).

Apart from the race events (MSA or BTRDA) there are usually a couple of days days a year. Other than that you're limited for options for driving the car competitively on mixed surfaces. The car can be used for trackdays, sprints, autocross and autotests as well though so if you've got the time and budget there are plenty of other ways of getting out and about in the car.

Thanks for that. May look into other competitions around rallycross.

From where I'm looking C2s are around the same prices as the Saco (both VTS) and more of them?? Possibly due to the fact people want them? Both have a 900kg weight restriction including driver, is getting a c2 down to 800kg a realistic achievement as I'm aware it's about 200kg (ish)heavier than a sack standard.