Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 25 May 2005, 19:21 (Ref:1310136)   #1
TomS
Racer

TomS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GP2 v World Series

Sorry if this has been covered before but i was wondering what peoples opinions were on which one is the best series. Which is quicker...GP2 i presume as i think they were quicker at monaco. Personally i think the quality of both teams and drivers is slightly better in GP2 however the World Series look nicer and look more fun to drive
Old 25 May 2005, 20:12 (Ref:1310180)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GP2 is a step above World Series - that's how it's intended and that's how it has worked out.

Both are Renault powered and are not direct competitors.
Old 25 May 2005, 20:36 (Ref:1310189)   #3
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Whilst what KB says is true, comparissans can be drawn between the 2 series IMO. Its interesting to note that at Monaco the World series by Renault pole time would have been good enough for 8th place in the Formula GP2 race. Only around 1 second a lap slower than the GP2 cars, at Monaco. At other, faster tracks the differnce could be something in the reigion of 2-3 seconds, IMO.
Old 25 May 2005, 22:06 (Ref:1310253)   #4
flexible-flyer
Veteran

Northern Ireland
the british isles/ireland/ze vorrrld
flexible-flyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the heart of every series is its driving talent. the best drivers in the world series would be midfielders in gp2 no matter what team they drive for.
Old 25 May 2005, 22:17 (Ref:1310264)   #5
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would agree this year's GP2 field has a better strength in depth. But there are still quite a few drivers in the World Series who could well be frontrunners in a top GP2 team.
Old 25 May 2005, 22:22 (Ref:1310269)   #6
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Whilst what KB says is true, comparissans can be drawn between the 2 series IMO. Its interesting to note that at Monaco the World series by Renault pole time would have been good enough for 8th place in the Formula GP2 race. Only around 1 second a lap slower than the GP2 cars, at Monaco. At other, faster tracks the differnce could be something in the reigion of 2-3 seconds, IMO.
It will be interesting to see how the two series compare in lap times at Monza, the only other circuit they will both race at - although with a gap of almost two months between meetings, it won't really be a fair comparison. I believe I heard the aero grip of the WSbR cars is supposed to be greater than the GP2 cars, meaning they can carry more speed through corners, partly making up for their HP disadvantage.
Old 26 May 2005, 01:27 (Ref:1310332)   #7
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
DanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Which series will stay the longer?

Which one attracks more drivers and sponsors?
Old 26 May 2005, 05:19 (Ref:1310407)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GP2 clearly has a secure future as part of the F1 weekends - and as a result has the cream of the up and coming drivers.
Old 26 May 2005, 06:29 (Ref:1310421)   #9
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GP2 also has IMO the bigger and better teams than the Renault World series, as much as I love the World Series you cant help but get the impression that most of the GP2 teams are a little bit bigger and more professional. IMO.
Old 26 May 2005, 06:40 (Ref:1310424)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Correct - but both have full fields and are clear steps on a ladder, so they can co-exist.
Old 26 May 2005, 10:57 (Ref:1310592)   #11
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be fair though, I reckon you could do F1 out of WS. WS is basically a very nicely redone F3000, and apparently cheaper.
Old 26 May 2005, 11:06 (Ref:1310595)   #12
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Sure you could Russfeld, money talks. Honestly though, GP2 is the way to go to get into a F1 seat generally speaking IMO. Sure you may still get drivers jumping from F3 (Hamilton perhaps) and the World Series straight into F1, but I would imagine we will see a lot more drivers coming from GP2 into F1 than from any other feeder series.
Old 26 May 2005, 11:10 (Ref:1310597)   #13
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
DanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Imo
Old 26 May 2005, 11:46 (Ref:1310620)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
GP2 seems to be what was needed in a feeder series, and the combination of getting F1 attention and track knowledge coupled with the style of cars make it the best preperationf or F1, and the grid is perhaps the strongest ever seen in a feeder series, with any number of potential GP winners. World Series is a good championship in its own right, but it definitely lcks of the prestige of GP2, and I suspect a lot of its guys will look to GP2 next year, if they can afford it.
Old 26 May 2005, 14:03 (Ref:1310720)   #15
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFlag
Imo
Sorry Dany, thought I had made it clear that it was my opinion by the quote. "I would imagine" and "IMO". Apoligies.
Old 26 May 2005, 14:40 (Ref:1310737)   #16
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Ok, I did'nt know what IMO standed for, I guessed it was that but was not sure

thank you
Old 26 May 2005, 14:47 (Ref:1310741)   #17
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFlag
Ok, I did'nt know what IMO standed for, I guessed it was that but was not sure

thank you
I use this occasionally as well - but I guess it does make things difficult for you guys who don't have English as a first language (or don't use geeky web-speak!)

IMO = In my opinion
IMHO = In my humble opinion (I think?)
Old 26 May 2005, 14:59 (Ref:1310745)   #18
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondownunder
IMHO = In my humble opinion (I think?)
Or as I more commonly use it for, and do quite a few others. IMHO = In my honest opinion. Bit more confusing as that can have 2 meanings.
Old 26 May 2005, 15:00 (Ref:1310746)   #19
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMHO = In my humble/honest opinion

IMPCO = In my policitally correct opinion

IMPACT = In My Pathetic Attempt (to) Corner Tabac ?? ( i beleive the phrase was first coined by a certain R Schumacher..)
Old 26 May 2005, 18:35 (Ref:1310930)   #20
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
IMO lots of drivers ROOT at Monaco - Applies to several drivers over the Monaco weekend, judging by their inadequate attempts at outbrakling others, or even just braking for corners!

WS isn't re-packaged 3000, it's repackaged Nissan WS isn't it?! The cars look the part anyway and i agree with ealrier comments that there are several guys in it as result of 'placements' or certain level of funding that would probably have been in GP2 on talent alone.

I'd cite Tocacello, Zubica, Power as 3 examples, and there's probably more...
Old 26 May 2005, 18:53 (Ref:1310941)   #21
macaroon
Rookie

macaroon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
at the end of the day, for a series that has 150 bhp ( 30% !!! ) less and costs half as much for a season, the fact that the WS is only a second off the gp2 times is fairly impressive i think. undoubtedly gp2 has the better pr and marketing push but that's what the extra 50% buys you i guess !!!
Old 26 May 2005, 20:11 (Ref:1311028)   #22
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroon
at the end of the day, for a series that has 150 bhp ( 30% !!! ) less and costs half as much for a season, the fact that the WS is only a second off the gp2 times is fairly impressive i think. undoubtedly gp2 has the better pr and marketing push but that's what the extra 50% buys you i guess !!!
Yes, but the lap time differnce would be significantly bigger IMO if the GP2 cars were running Bridgstone slick tyres, perhaps as much as 4 seconds a lap faster, dont forget that GP2 is running the grooved tyres.
Old 26 May 2005, 22:48 (Ref:1311163)   #23
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
i agree with ealrier comments that there are several guys in it as result of 'placements' or certain level of funding that would probably have been in GP2 on talent alone.

I'd cite Tocacello, Zubica, Power as 3 examples, and there's probably more...
I'd definitely include Toccacelo, Montanari, Gommendy, Kubica, Power, van Lagen, Mondini (if he gets his act together), Valles and Pavlovic in that list. There are quite a few other drivers there with potential who deserve their place on merit (Pilet, Fleming etc). I'm surprised at Zuber's form, seeing as he was a midfielder at best in Euro F3. On the other hand I'm mystified by Salignon, who's looked nothing special since winning the FR2000 Eurocup in 2002.
Old 27 May 2005, 17:25 (Ref:1311759)   #24
Zandbak
Racer

Netherlands
Zandbak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=chunterer]
WS isn't re-packaged 3000, it's repackaged Nissan WS isn't it?! The cars look the part anyway QUOTE]

The chassis of a WS car is the same as a Nissan WS. The aero-package, engine and gearbox are different plus some other small things. The design of the WS Renault / Nissan WS cars is based on the old F1 Honda project from 1999.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 18:45 (Ref:1319366)   #25
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondownunder
I'd definitely include Toccacelo, Montanari, Gommendy, Kubica, Power, van Lagen, Mondini (if he gets his act together), Valles and Pavlovic in that list. There are quite a few other drivers there with potential who deserve their place on merit (Pilet, Fleming etc). I'm surprised at Zuber's form, seeing as he was a midfielder at best in Euro F3. On the other hand I'm mystified by Salignon, who's looked nothing special since winning the FR2000 Eurocup in 2002.
Slightly delayed reply, but can never seem to find enough time to stay on a thread for more than an hour if i'm lucky before i gotta do some work. Except for tonight where i can catch up on kssed replies to threads!

Yeah, Gommendy, forgot about him and he's probably the top guy if you count his previous F3 form. There wasn't much between him and Pla couple years back and both of them were up there with the best of that season. However, he semmed a bit dud when he 'dropped down' to the V6 Renaults' i thought.

I know you replied to my mention of Gonzo Avatar on another thread, he also had a blinder at Spa the following year didn't he! Although he didn't win the speed he carried through Eau Rouge was on a different planet to everyone else during his recovery drive upto the back of Jason Watt!! Brilliant!

Back on topic, i can;t wait to see theis lot at Donington in September. Think there maybe a fair bit of race duration shortening!!