Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 7 Jun 2005, 08:16 (Ref:1322122)   #1
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie censors GP2!

As reported by Autosport.com, the latest Bridgestone magazine "The Challenge" had a picture of a GP2 car on the cover. When Bernie saw it, he told Bridgestone to take the magazines off the shelfs.

Yep, Bernie is 100% behind GP2 and is keen to promote the series.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 09:24 (Ref:1322168)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This story is a total exaggeration.

All he asked was that the magazine was not placed on the stands at the door of Bridgestone's area of the F1 paddock club, which is fair enough.

He did not ask them to "take it off the shelves."
Old 7 Jun 2005, 09:40 (Ref:1322176)   #3
flexible-flyer
Veteran

Northern Ireland
the british isles/ireland/ze vorrrld
flexible-flyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
whatever happened it still shows bernies lack of knowledge in how to sell his sport. ok this is gp2 we are talking about but when i see so many tv channels forced to show only testing images or just results standings when covering f1, instead of actual on track race action it makes me wonder how f1 survives at all.

i dont know what tv companies have to pay to show f1 race pictures but if they can show football, golf and whatever else but not f1, f1 must be just too pricey. and he wonders why f1 is getting unpopular...
Old 7 Jun 2005, 10:09 (Ref:1322192)   #4
Barbazza
Racer

Barbazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBarbazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is just the tip of the iceberg from Bernie when it comes to GP2. He has been actively scrweing with them on a few fronts, particularly when it comes to the media.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 10:12 (Ref:1322195)   #5
flexible-flyer
Veteran

Northern Ireland
probably embarrassed that when it comes to racing, gp2 beats f1 every weekend.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 10:24 (Ref:1322204)   #6
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that's what he's afraid of.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 10:47 (Ref:1322219)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
F1 is much more exciting than it has been in the past, and has a much higher standar dof drivng, not to mention being technically much more advanced. I think what you guys are after is an excuse to attack Bernie, rather than look at the situation in depth. GP2 is there above all to train new F1 drivers, adn it's doing that very well, but the onyl reason there is more action is that the drivers make more mistakes.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 11:03 (Ref:1322230)   #8
Barbazza
Racer

Barbazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBarbazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I actually like Bernie, he's a very funny and personable bloke in person. However, he really hasn't done GP2 any favours by effectively banning non-F1 media from covering the meetings.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 11:19 (Ref:1322241)   #9
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie is a self-righteous pompous little man.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 11:19 (Ref:1322242)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexible-flyer
whatever happened it still shows bernies lack of knowledge in how to sell his sport.
Yes Bernie has made a real hash of promoting motorsport!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexible-flyer
ok this is gp2 we are talking about but when i see so many tv channels forced to show only testing images or just results standings when covering f1, instead of actual on track race action it makes me wonder how f1 survives at all.
I think it may have something to do with this exclusivity. The people who actually pay for footage get value for money. This is similar in other sports - remember how much the beeb had to pay to show Johnny's drop goal in their sporting season review? I do agree that is silly that the teams themselves can't use footage for their own (or their advertisers) adverts.

On a TV issue, with GP2. Wasn't it good that when Sunday morning qualifying was dropped at the last GP they put together a package to replace this for those TV stations that showed Q2 live? The package consisted of the second GP2 race. They even altered the format and time of this second race to make it better for TV. Thus this race went out and got much better coverage than it would have. Of course it is then up to the TV stations themselves if they continue to show this through the year.

This last point is the most important. The TV coverage for GP2 is decent in my view, but you can't force TV companies to show it. What do we have now though, at least for Britain (what I can see!)? Well we have live coverage on a satelite channel (I like the coverage) and delayed (prime time Saturday a week or maybe more later. Can it be any better for GP2?

In terms of excitement. GP2 is a lot better than F3000 was in recent years. I would also say the same about F1. Let us hope people attitudes can change on both!
Old 7 Jun 2005, 11:56 (Ref:1322271)   #11
Jackman
Veteran

Jackman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
This story is a total exaggeration.

All he asked was that the magazine was not placed on the stands at the door of Bridgestone's area of the F1 paddock club, which is fair enough.

He did not ask them to "take it off the shelves."
Actually, that's exactly what he told them to do - Bridgestone weren't allowed to display the magazine in their motorhome or in the paddock club with a non-Formula One car on the cover, despite the magazine always having content from other series inside since inception. This was the first time they tried a cover with another series, and presumably the last.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 12:39 (Ref:1322309)   #12
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This problem wouldn't've come about if Bridgestone's F1 tyres weren't such an embarassment....

Do Bridgestone supply GP2 tyres on an exclusive basis? If so, it's ahrdly fair for them to claime xtra marketing kudos out of the deal, especailyl as they surely would have to pay extra to have promotional rights on the series. I don't think anything untoward has happened here - GP2 is part of the F1 package and has been created as such all along - and the advantages of that for the series (more appeal for teams as they get to race F1 tracks under the watchful eyes of F1 team owners and supporters) far outweigh any disadvantages.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 16:05 (Ref:1322451)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackman
Actually, that's exactly what he told them to do - Bridgestone weren't allowed to display the magazine in their motorhome or in the paddock club with a non-Formula One car on the cover, despite the magazine always having content from other series inside since inception. This was the first time they tried a cover with another series, and presumably the last.

I stand corrected - I'd heard a slightly different version.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 18:40 (Ref:1322596)   #14
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
This last point is the most important. The TV coverage for GP2 is decent in my view, but you can't force TV companies to show it.
Yes you can. And Bernie does. In many countries it is a condition of broadcasters' F1 contracts that they show a certain number of minutes of GP2 and Porsche Supercup.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 19:13 (Ref:1322628)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, of course. Good on Bernie. So he is helping GP2, a lot. It demonstrates my point too, these broadcasters have to be forced to show GP2!
Old 7 Jun 2005, 19:16 (Ref:1322631)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It always makes for quite a nice programme on Saturday afternoons, especially when it directly follows the F1 qualifying. You can't really say the series is poorly promoted once you factor that in.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 19:19 (Ref:1322636)   #17
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
I didnt think Bernie actually help the Promotional rights to GP2
Old 8 Jun 2005, 01:58 (Ref:1322851)   #18
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
DanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
SAd that the GP2 Series is not here in Canada this week-end :-(
Old 8 Jun 2005, 02:04 (Ref:1322854)   #19
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed Dany, very sad. Still, perhaps if GP2 continues to grow and become more popular the calender might expand too in future years and perhaps the series could visit America again like F3000 once did (Brazil). I hope so.
Old 8 Jun 2005, 02:11 (Ref:1322855)   #20
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
DanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I sure hope so, than I can finally enjoy it live :-)

I'll try to speak with Bernie about this this week-end hahahahaha
Old 8 Jun 2005, 08:47 (Ref:1322976)   #21
JJ Jet Plane
Racer

JJ Jet Plane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whatever Bernie's agenda on Bridgestone's mag is, you can't knock him for making broadcasters take GP2 (and before that F3000) as a condition of showing F1. For those of us with only terrestrial TV (and yes there are some of us out there), this is a godsend. We've seen thrilling races this year from Imola and Monaco – and Nurburgring was just utterly sensational. If it wasn't for Bernie we'd never have seen these races on ITV and I for one thank him for that.

Now, if only they could drop the Porsche Supercup and show an extra 5 minutes of GP2 instead…!
Old 8 Jun 2005, 09:31 (Ref:1323009)   #22
flexible-flyer
Veteran

Northern Ireland
itv's gp2 coverage is very good. i always look forward to it because there are a few driver interviews (mainly with adam carroll, but i suppose thats to be expected when a brit is winning) they have extra pitlane footage and i think the comentating, although obviously not live is top class and lee mckenzie is great too.
Old 8 Jun 2005, 09:34 (Ref:1323011)   #23
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Taking F3000 out of Europe was a disaster, as it increased the csots too much, and I'm sure that's weighing heavily in Bernie's mind about the idea of including it on the US and Canadian bills. I don't know exactly which support races are lined up, but I'm sure it's still that will be of more interst to ordinary fans.
Old 8 Jun 2005, 11:44 (Ref:1323110)   #24
Jackman
Veteran

Jackman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic
Yes you can. And Bernie does. In many countries it is a condition of broadcasters' F1 contracts that they show a certain number of minutes of GP2 and Porsche Supercup.
I'm not sure that this is actually true - all of the major F1 TV deals were already in place long term before GP2 was thought of. RAI (Italy), RTL (Germany) and ORF (Austria) picked up the second race to run instead of the now defunct second F1 qualifying, but they didn't show anything of GP2 before that. Telecinco (Spain) was about the only major broadcaster (outside of Eurosport, of course) to have a GP2 live deal, and ITV (UK) only shows 30 mins about a week later.

Oddly Speed TV (USA) still hasn't done a deal with GP2 despite Scott Speed being in the series, after showing a year's worth of F3000 races live when Townsend Bell was running.

FOM (Bernie) is handling the TV rights on behalf of GP2, but I'm not convinced that he's done much with them really.
Old 8 Jun 2005, 12:08 (Ref:1323131)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
I'm not sure that this is actually true...
Each TV deal is different. As I said you can't force them to show it (if they really don't want to). If a TV company is willing to walk away from an F1 deal because of it, or will accept worse conditions on another matter to miss out GP2 then that will be done.

Yes all of the deals were around before GP2, but not F3000. However the time has been limited to sort out all details. That is why it was so good that after a change in F1 qualifying advantage was taken for GP2.
Quote:
and ITV (UK) only shows 30 mins about a week later.
Do you honestly expect that a terrestrial TV channel over here wants to show live GP2 on Saturday and Sunday morning. It is a Satelite live, terrestrial delayed series. At best. Ask the man on the street who Scott Speed is!
Quote:
Oddly Speed TV (USA) still hasn't done a deal with GP2 despite Scott Speed being in the series, after showing a year's worth of F3000 races live when Townsend Bell was running.
Is this an idication that Speed are stupid, don't want it or that Bernie won't let them have it. I guess one of the first two!
Quote:
FOM (Bernie) is handling the TV rights on behalf of GP2, but I'm not convinced that he's done much with them really.
The TV coverage overall is better now than it has ever been!