Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 8 Jun 2005, 12:47 (Ref:1323169)   #26
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore

Do you honestly expect that a terrestrial TV channel over here wants to show live GP2 on Saturday and Sunday morning. It is a Satelite live, terrestrial delayed series. At best. Ask the man on the street who Scott Speed is!
I thought this was the home of international motorsport?
Old 8 Jun 2005, 17:00 (Ref:1323332)   #27
Jackman
Veteran

Jackman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Each TV deal is different. As I said you can't force them to show it (if they really don't want to). If a TV company is willing to walk away from an F1 deal because of it, or will accept worse conditions on another matter to miss out GP2 then that will be done.

Yes all of the deals were around before GP2, but not F3000. However the time has been limited to sort out all details. That is why it was so good that after a change in F1 qualifying advantage was taken for GP2.
And as I said I don't believe Bernie is forcing anyone to show GP2 and Supercup races - ITV are showing them now on a week's delay, but their contract was in place before GP2 was around, so how would Bernie force that through?

As for your point about Formula 3000, what coverage did they ever receive on terrestrial TV? As far as I'm aware they had some Eurosport coverage, which was canned when the grids shrunk.
Quote:
Do you honestly expect that a terrestrial TV channel over here wants to show live GP2 on Saturday and Sunday morning. It is a Satelite live, terrestrial delayed series. At best. Ask the man on the street who Scott Speed is!
Italian terrestrial TV shows it. As does German, Austrian and Spanish TV. On top of which, Eurosport shows it live in something like 19 languages. So clearly some countries are interested.
Quote:
Is this an idication that Speed are stupid, don't want it or that Bernie won't let them have it. I guess one of the first two!
Obviously I don't know, not being a part of the deal, but I wouldn't be surprised if Bernie tried to get some extra money because of the entrant by an American driver and Speed, which has very limited funds, couldn't entertain the deal - from watching the channel for a number of years it's pretty clear that they are a very small company.
Quote:
The TV coverage overall is better now than it has ever been!
You've noticed an improvement since the first race in Imola this year? Good job by the FOM then!
Old 8 Jun 2005, 17:32 (Ref:1323346)   #28
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think we are saying similar things. The each deal is different covers it. Each country, each channel is different. IUn recent year, the F3000 coverage had a similar situation - at least on ITV. GP2 was no doubt an extension of this rather than a new contract. Frankly I am amazed that it gets on ITV at all (apart from a late night show!). I know of no-one outside of 10-tenths who watches it! Not that means 'normal' people don't, but I bet it isn't too popular. They aren't using it for ratings! This is my guess.

Anyway if your point is F3000 didn't receive much coverage and GP2 is more then surely that shows FOM is doing a good job at promoting it?

There will be odd cases, there always is. Speed could be better, but in a country where F1 coverage isn't as good as it could be do we really expect live GP2?

Also my point about seeing an improvement, is clearly a comment on F3000/GP2 not just GP2, as you well know.

My overall point is this: Coverage is better than it ever has been for an equivelent series. So why is Bernie so bad for it?
Old 8 Jun 2005, 18:48 (Ref:1323392)   #29
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackman
And as I said I don't believe Bernie is forcing anyone to show GP2 and Supercup races - ITV are showing them now on a week's delay, but their contract was in place before GP2 was around, so how would Bernie force that through?

As for your point about Formula 3000, what coverage did they ever receive on terrestrial TV?
Wrong. ITV for the last couple of years did show Int F3000 on a weeks delayed coverage, the same people that do the GP2 programme on ITV.
Old 9 Jun 2005, 19:16 (Ref:1324240)   #30
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Around a million people watch GP2 on ITV - that's not as many as watch F1, or British Touring Cars, but it is more than watch WRC.

F3000 was shown on terrestrial TV in around half a dozen countries in its latter years, including the UK, Italy, Austria and Sweden - all as part of F1 deals.

Most F1 deals will include a clause which says the channel is to show a certain number of minutes of any other championships Bernie wants them to, although the exact coverage of those championships will be governed by a separate contract.

That explains why ITV has variously shown F3000, ITC, FIA Sportscars, FIA GT, Porsche Supercup and FIA Truck Racing since they took over F1.