Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Aug 2013, 19:18 (Ref:3287725)   #126
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
why do you think that is? he seems very capable but is he just not ruthless enough?
He's not like Brawn in any area and looks like an italian trying to look like a british.
Old 9 Aug 2013, 21:07 (Ref:3287776)   #127
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
He's not like Brawn in any area and looks like an italian trying to look like a british.
While I agree that Domenicali is not Brawn, I have come to the conclusion that it was the team effect (Schumacher, Brawn, Todt and Byrne) but especially Rory Byrne (design) that gave Ferrari its brilliant decade (1998-2007 approximately). But the ball has shifted and what is important now is attention to minute aerodynamic detail, something Newey is especially good at and his knowledge overseeing RBR is what is giving them a brilliant decade.

But it will change. Times marches on and everything goes in cycles.
Old 11 Aug 2013, 13:59 (Ref:3288318)   #128
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
While I agree that Domenicali is not Brawn, I have come to the conclusion that it was the team effect (Schumacher, Brawn, Todt and Byrne) but especially Rory Byrne (design) that gave Ferrari its brilliant decade (1998-2007 approximately). But the ball has shifted and what is important now is attention to minute aerodynamic detail, something Newey is especially good at and his knowledge overseeing RBR is what is giving them a brilliant decade.

Schumacher and Brawn managed to turn that team into something it had never been before... and some would say, may never be again. Domenicali and Alonso are articulate and competent in their own ways but are very much of the traditional Ferrari mould. They do not have what it takes to suppress the intrinsic chaos that has always kept Ferrari one or two steps away from the very top.
Old 11 Aug 2013, 22:38 (Ref:3288578)   #129
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Schumacher and Brawn managed to turn that team into something it had never been before... and some would say, may never be again. Domenicali and Alonso are articulate and competent in their own ways but are very much of the traditional Ferrari mould. They do not have what it takes to suppress the intrinsic chaos that has always kept Ferrari one or two steps away from the very top.
Meaning the italian way...
Old 12 Aug 2013, 00:47 (Ref:3288594)   #130
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I wonder when they shall announce it. Before or after Renault announce Webber is driving for them?
I had another idea here... Mr Webber is at Porsche... Porsche has licenced the Wiliams Hybrid Power technology for racing and for road purposes... the connection is Team Williams...

Maybe its Webber to Williams?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 13 Aug 2013, 10:19 (Ref:3289198)   #131
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Yes the Byrne effect cannot be underestimated, I think they have sorely missed his design leadership, as like Newey, and to an extent Barnard before, he is one of those Designers that seems to just have that midas touch.

I believe he is a little more in evidence again at Maranello, but to what extent I don't know with James Allison coming in? They used to work together so maybe they will be again?
Old 13 Aug 2013, 11:25 (Ref:3289222)   #132
RacerRich
Rookie

RacerRich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso would quickly fall foul of the "magic button" just like Webber IMO.
I do sincerely hope he does go to Red Bull, two reasons, he gives Vettell a bruising, and secondly, the in fighting will give Lewis a smoother route to the championship
Old 13 Aug 2013, 11:29 (Ref:3289225)   #133
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Alonso could be causing a stink in order to get out of Ferrari, similar to what he did at McLaren.
Old 13 Aug 2013, 15:01 (Ref:3289297)   #134
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

He's not going anywhere.
Old 13 Aug 2013, 17:57 (Ref:3289367)   #135
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
He's not going anywhere.
or to put it another way, its increasingly looking like what other team will have him.
Old 13 Aug 2013, 23:34 (Ref:3289474)   #136
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
or to put it another way, its increasingly looking like what other team will have him.

Old 14 Aug 2013, 13:56 (Ref:3289720)   #137
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Yes the Byrne effect cannot be underestimated, I think they have sorely missed his design leadership, as like Newey, and to an extent Barnard before, he is one of those Designers that seems to just have that midas touch.

I believe he is a little more in evidence again at Maranello, but to what extent I don't know with James Allison coming in? They used to work together so maybe they will be again?
Yes Rory Byrne was hugely important at Ferrari during those years... and of course at Benetton in the years before that. However, Ferrari have had some excellent individuals down through the years and really struggled to translate their talents into the consistent front end deliverables they should have been. I think James Allison is likely to have less of an impact at Ferrari, in its current guise, than he would have at another team.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 22:54 (Ref:3289925)   #138
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Yes Rory Byrne was hugely important at Ferrari during those years... and of course at Benetton in the years before that. However, Ferrari have had some excellent individuals down through the years and really struggled to translate their talents into the consistent front end deliverables they should have been. I think James Allison is likely to have less of an impact at Ferrari, in its current guise, than he would have at another team.
A team is worth more than the sum of its parts!

Not at Ferrari usually!

If you subtract the Schumacher era, Ferrari are a pretty poor team!
Old 15 Aug 2013, 04:56 (Ref:3289999)   #139
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm, they are the most successful team in the formula so poor or not they aren't bad. As to designers, who can forget the John Barnard period?

But perhaps the problem is that they put the team ahead of the drivers and as such don't listen when a driver suggests an improvement. Even GV had problems with the engineers ignoring his advice. Of course the Old Man loved him because he'd drive around a car problem.

The Schumacher era was different because they recruited an entire organisation that IMO became autonomous. Eventually Luca decided to take back control.
Old 15 Aug 2013, 08:43 (Ref:3290068)   #140
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Hmm, they are the most successful team in the formula so poor or not they aren't bad. As to designers, who can forget the John Barnard period?
If you really want to go back in time, the 312T series designed by Mauro Forghieri and obviously with Lauda's input, was an awesome machine.

Hey, it features in RUSH.
Old 15 Aug 2013, 08:51 (Ref:3290074)   #141
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post

But perhaps the problem is that they put the team ahead of the drivers and as such don't listen when a driver suggests an improvement. Even GV had problems with the engineers ignoring his advice. Of course the Old Man loved him because he'd drive around a car problem.

The Schumacher era was different because they recruited an entire organisation that IMO became autonomous. Eventually Luca decided to take back control.
They have an extraordinary longevity compared with the other teams. Without the Schumacher decade they would not be ahead (for GP wins) of McLaren, who had been in F1 for 16 years less.....

The four contributors had been there nearly a decade when it started to dismantle, or was it that Luca decided to take back control? Before the Brawn-Byrne-Todt - Schumacher era there had been the Barnard era where he had a research/design office set up in the UK....

Foreign influence wasn't new, but it wasn't Italian either.....
Old 15 Aug 2013, 09:10 (Ref:3290083)   #142
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Agreed. I think that was the point I was trying to make.
Old 19 Aug 2013, 15:41 (Ref:3291768)   #143
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter Windsor's twitter feed says Kimi and Alonso are swapping teams. Bizarre rumour.
Old 19 Aug 2013, 15:48 (Ref:3291772)   #144
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Someone is seriously insane...
Old 19 Aug 2013, 16:29 (Ref:3291782)   #145
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
Peter Windsor's twitter feed says Kimi and Alonso are swapping teams. Bizarre rumour.
Peter Windsor, now there's a man with integrity.
Old 20 Aug 2013, 02:13 (Ref:3291919)   #146
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always liked Peter Windsor's grid walks on Speed tv and his post race driver interviews. Maybe he will resurrect team USF1.
Old 20 Aug 2013, 16:29 (Ref:3292072)   #147
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
They have an extraordinary longevity compared with the other teams. Without the Schumacher decade they would not be ahead (for GP wins) of McLaren, who had been in F1 for 16 years less.....

I'm not convinced Ferrari wouldn't have been equally strong with another decent driver or even 2 equal ones during that 'halcyon' period.

That car was so well made that any one of the top dogs could've won titles with that kind of equipment superiority in some of those seasons.

As to the Kimi, Alonso swap, why the heck would Fernando do that? They wouldn't have enough to pay him unless Santander go with him?!
Old 20 Aug 2013, 16:38 (Ref:3292078)   #148
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
As to the Kimi, Alonso swap, why the heck would Fernando do that? They wouldn't have enough to pay him unless Santander go with him?!
Well if Lotus won't break the bank for Kimi, then they certainly won't for Alonso unless, as you say, he can bring Santander with him.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/109341
Old 20 Aug 2013, 16:38 (Ref:3292079)   #149
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
I'm not convinced Ferrari wouldn't have been equally strong with another decent driver or even 2 equal ones during that 'halcyon' period.

That car was so well made that any one of the top dogs could've won titles with that kind of equipment superiority in some of those seasons.
I know what you're getting at, but that 'dream team' followed Schumacher and had he (and they) remained at Benetton, it's entirely possible that Enstone would be among the most successful outfits of all time. They wouldn't have gone without him... and without them Ferrari would have been what they were in the 80s and early 90s.
Old 20 Aug 2013, 16:40 (Ref:3292080)   #150
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Well if Lotus won't break the bank for Kimi, then they certainly won't for Alonso unless, as you say, he can bring Santander with him.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/109341
It's Marlboro that pays Alonso's eye watering retainer. Santander doesn't bring enough to do that and run a team.