Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 3 Jan 2010, 00:43 (Ref:2607483)   #251
Leroy Boyce
Rookie

Leroy Boyce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Keep the ideas coming people.... I'll appreciate all the help I can get.

Great! I received a phone call from the local press today! They even mentioned a "motorsport personality" who I cannot mention... Yet...

I've set up a Facebook "event" for anyone who wants to add their name to it.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=...840818&index=1
Old 3 Jan 2010, 02:36 (Ref:2607493)   #252
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It occurs to me that there may be some potential for using the Park for a single venue rally (or maybe rallycross?) event.

The track work required could be minimal. The missing surface strips might not be a big issue for a rally event and armco/tyre barriers probably not required.

I'm not sure how the earthworks on the infield would stand up to it though.

It would bring back memories of the times it was used for the Lombard RAC events back in the late 70s. Fewer trees though.
Old 3 Jan 2010, 04:23 (Ref:2607505)   #253
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Local motor sport personality Ron Haslam had been using Donington for years for his racing school. I believe he has had to move to Silverstone for 2010 but I would guess he would be happier to operate closer to home.
Negative. The Haslam race school has been disbanded.
Old 3 Jan 2010, 07:42 (Ref:2607531)   #254
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it was signed and sealed that it was being set up at Silverstone?
Leroy,wasn't such a bad idea after all
You would be surprised by some people who read through these hallowed pages,keep it up and dont be afraid to put yourself forward for any interviews that no doubt will crop up.

Last edited by terence; 3 Jan 2010 at 07:47.
Old 3 Jan 2010, 10:25 (Ref:2607588)   #255
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've just spread the word on facebook, hopefully get some more "profile names" so publicity should be better? I'll be there(not that Im a profile of any note ) just to lend my support for my favourite spectating circuit in this country!
Old 3 Jan 2010, 10:32 (Ref:2607590)   #256
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I didnt see a 'Join group' thinghy on the facebook link. i doubt I would be able to attend a protest but happy to acknowledge support if the facility was there.
Old 3 Jan 2010, 10:35 (Ref:2607591)   #257
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
http://www.facebook.com/#/group.php?...0290785&ref=nf It's in the middle near the top next the Save Donington title.
Old 3 Jan 2010, 10:38 (Ref:2607594)   #258
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks Tim, not fully facebook savvy.
Old 3 Jan 2010, 10:46 (Ref:2607598)   #259
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
The link in post 251 is to a drive to Donington not the join Donington group
Old 3 Jan 2010, 11:11 (Ref:2607607)   #260
Leroy Boyce
Rookie

I'm not too Facebook savvy myself, so apologies for the confusion.

I thought I'd mention again, I'm also collecting messages of support, with the intention of presenting them to the Wheatcroft family before the parade.

Please visit the Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=app_23...id=265230290785

Add your name to the event:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=2339...818&index=1

If you can't make it, or don't use Facebook, please send a message of support to:

savedonington@live.co.uk
If anyone does have have "strong" points of contact, please send them to the email address above.

Thanks again for all your continued support.
Old 3 Jan 2010, 11:53 (Ref:2607614)   #261
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
I thought it was signed and sealed that it was being set up at Silverstone?
A couple of weeks before christmas my father bumped into the former chief mechanic of the school. He had just been given the chop and was out and about searching for work, along with all of the other regular lads.

As far as I know they looked into relocating at all of the other circuits but they couldn't strike a deal - I think Silverstone wanted them to hire the entire site which made the numbers not work.

The other problem was that everyone bar a few instructors lived within a stones throw of Donington Park.

Shame, I enjoyed working with them on the occasions that I did.
Old 3 Jan 2010, 14:11 (Ref:2607645)   #262
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is a terrible shame for all involved,time will tell if the school gets reformed when Donington starts up again.
Old 4 Jan 2010, 01:21 (Ref:2607817)   #263
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Hodgkinson View Post
As far as I know they looked into relocating at all of the other circuits but they couldn't strike a deal - I think Silverstone wanted them to hire the entire site which made the numbers not work.
Ah. OK. I was basing things on an earlier report somewhere.

A move to Silverstone would have made some sense of course since MotoGP will be there too.

A great shame for all concerned.
Old 4 Jan 2010, 01:30 (Ref:2607820)   #264
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

I popped up to DP yesterday afternoon and spoke to the people who know what is going on. Well, the security guy on the gate is as likely to know as anyone I guess!

The Museum is open once again and apparently will be open daily 10AM to 4PM. Other than that and the Airport parking/Sunday market - nothing else.

In terms of the long term future it seems that we already know what there is to know. The Wheatcrofts are seeking someone to take on a lease but whether this is anything more than a repeat of the already discussed probabilities is anyone's guess.
Old 4 Jan 2010, 16:31 (Ref:2608049)   #265
RCMADD
Racer

England
derby
RCMADD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
leroy

i noticed in local paper that the parade is planned for all day.

i personally cannot come all day but will be there for a couple of hours with my marshals overalls on.
Old 4 Jan 2010, 18:27 (Ref:2608086)   #266
Leroy Boyce
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMADD View Post
leroy

i noticed in local paper that the parade is planned for all day.

i personally cannot come all day but will be there for a couple of hours with my marshals overalls on.
No times confirmed as yet. It will probably be around midday. I'll keep you posted.
Old 4 Jan 2010, 18:28 (Ref:2608087)   #267
Leroy Boyce
Rookie

It's really working!

A company who is interested in taking over the lease and, crucially, wants to repair the circuit, got in touch with me today.

It does appear there are people out there who have the means to restore the track, and allow racing to participate.

Now that the Christmas period is over, hopefully we can look forward to a statement from Kevin Wheatcroft himself. No doubt, he will be fascinated by the support that has been shown.

Well done everyone, keep spreading the word, and make sure you turn up to the circuit, to show your support, on 7th March!
Old 4 Jan 2010, 19:20 (Ref:2608109)   #268
RCMADD
Racer

England
derby
RCMADD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if things go well now, then we will have you to thank.
Old 4 Jan 2010, 19:46 (Ref:2608124)   #269
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
yeh are u gona get a corner named after you....or at least the patch of track that was ripped up LOL....could call it leroy's or boscy's LOL
Old 4 Jan 2010, 20:20 (Ref:2608135)   #270
Dave 455
Racer

Dave 455 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Boyce View Post
It's really working!

A company who is interested in taking over the lease and, crucially, wants to repair the circuit, got in touch with me today.

It does appear there are people out there who have the means to restore the track, and allow racing to participate.

Now that the Christmas period is over, hopefully we can look forward to a statement from Kevin Wheatcroft himself. No doubt, he will be fascinated by the support that has been shown.

Well done everyone, keep spreading the word, and make sure you turn up to the circuit, to show your support, on 7th March!
I hope the guy in charge of the comapny wasn't called Simon
Old 4 Jan 2010, 21:05 (Ref:2608152)   #271
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
yeh are u gona get a corner named after you....or at least the patch of track that was ripped up LOL....could call it leroy's or boscy's LOL
Hehe. Patch the track and maybe get a few bumps? Boyce's Bumps? Leroy's Leaps?

Sounds good Leroy. Keep on it.
Old 6 Jan 2010, 01:21 (Ref:2608681)   #272
Leroy Boyce
Rookie

Two radio interviews today, and more interesting "contacts"!

And, finally a (very simple) web-site...

www.myspace.com/savedonington
Old 6 Jan 2010, 10:10 (Ref:2608811)   #273
Leroy Boyce
Rookie

It looks like all the support is having an effect!

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/ne...l/article.html
Old 6 Jan 2010, 10:12 (Ref:2608816)   #274
ZombieSheep
Rookie

England
Pontefract
ZombieSheep should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is (tentatively) excellent news. I'm glad KW felt confident enough to be able to make these public comments about the future of my local circuit. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for a speedy return of the circuit to raceable condition.
Old 6 Jan 2010, 10:17 (Ref:2608819)   #275
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Ready by late March?