Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 1 Jan 2014, 21:25 (Ref:3349526)   #1
Danathar
Racer

Danathar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pirelli World Challenge vs TUSC GTD. What is the difference?

Can anybody explain to me what the essential differences are between the cars in Pirelli World Challenge vs GTD in TUSC?

I'm trying to understand why this series has taken off (not that it's bad, seems like a cool series). Why would an owner choose to race in one vs the other?
Old 1 Jan 2014, 22:04 (Ref:3349531)   #2
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the main reason someone would choose PWC over GTD is that PWC is sprint racing so there is only one driver per car to pay (or a paying driver) and obviously less cost for fuel/tires/etc without endurance races.

As for the exact technical differences between the cars I'm not sure, other than a few obvious things like BoP and the spec wing in GTD and spec tires. I know a few years ago the cars couldn't be tube-frame chassis but cars like the ACS Express Mustang got away with being nearly a full tube-frame by sticking hacked up pieces of the original chassis here and there.
Old 1 Jan 2014, 22:09 (Ref:3349534)   #3
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PWC GT3 is full spec GT3 cars as they come off the "showroom" floor. About as fast as the GTE cars. They've got traction control, ABS, and stability control, I believe.

The GTD cars have all the aero bits stripped off and replaced with worthless Crawford items. They remove/disable ABS, TC, and SC. The GTD cars also have those NASCAR-style windscreen braces on the top.

PWC races are 50 sprint races. They usually have two in a weekend, one on Saturday and one on Sunday. Most TUSC races are longer, for now.
Old 1 Jan 2014, 22:18 (Ref:3349537)   #4
Danathar
Racer

Danathar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
PWC GT3 is full spec GT3 cars as they come off the "showroom" floor. About as fast as the GTE cars. They've got traction control, ABS, and stability control, I believe.

The GTD cars have all the aero bits stripped off and replaced with worthless Crawford items. They remove/disable ABS, TC, and SC. The GTD cars also have those NASCAR-style windscreen braces on the top.

PWC races are 50 sprint races. They usually have two in a weekend, one on Saturday and one on Sunday. Most TUSC races are longer, for now.
Does anybody have any fastest lap time comparisons between similar models in PWC vs GTE/GTLM on the same track? (do they race on any of the same tracks?)
Old 1 Jan 2014, 23:30 (Ref:3349545)   #5
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danathar View Post
Does anybody have any fastest lap time comparisons between similar models in PWC vs GTE/GTLM on the same track? (do they race on any of the same tracks?)
2014 is the first year that PWC has allowed GT3 cars unmolested. I believe in 2013 they gimped them just a little so the Caddy and Volvo didn't have to make any changes.

Here are links to PWC and ALMS at Long Beach:

http://www.world-challenge.com/image...on-GRID-GT.PDF

http://www.alms.com/sites/default/fi...l%20Grid_0.pdf

Looks like ALMS GTE is about 3 seconds a lap faster at Long Beach.
Old 2 Jan 2014, 01:44 (Ref:3349566)   #6
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My hope is that GTD evolves year by year and that IMSA will let them become closer to full FIA GT3 spec. I agree that all you need is Pro-Am rules, spec tires, and maybe a shorter fuel flow or something like that. This concept that each class has to be a certain speed percentage apart from each other is silly. I think it would great to see GTLM cars mix it with P's and LMPC's and same thing for GT3's in their amongst GTLM cars.

Watch International GT Open, where you do have GTE cars racing against GT3's. Its good stuff. One of my favorite series to watch on Youtube in 2013 along with Blancpain, WEC and ALMS.
Old 2 Jan 2014, 13:29 (Ref:3349667)   #7
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I think that IMSA is doing the right thing by forbidding traction control and anti-lock brakes. North America's premier sports car champiopnship should have no driver assists.
Old 2 Jan 2014, 13:30 (Ref:3349668)   #8
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I think that IMSA is doing the right thing by forbidding traction control and anti-lock brakes. North America's premier sports car champiopnship should have no driver assists.
LMP and GTE cars all have engine-based traction control.
Old 3 Jan 2014, 06:57 (Ref:3349913)   #9
Aurora
Rookie

Aurora should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Also it's worth remembering that GTD is a Pro/Am class so we're not talking top ranked sport sports car drivers here unlike GTLM.
Old 3 Jan 2014, 07:02 (Ref:3349914)   #10
jeast
Racer

jeast User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Has anyone heard anything about what will become of the Caddy and volvo program? Are they done?
Old 3 Jan 2014, 09:52 (Ref:3349938)   #11
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeast View Post
Has anyone heard anything about what will become of the Caddy and volvo program? Are they done?
No official releases from both yet I believe but this statement suggests Cadillac will be back but Volvo won´t. One has to wonder if that´ll leave K-Pax to go (back) to Porsches again???
Old 3 Jan 2014, 14:26 (Ref:3349989)   #12
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
No official releases from both yet I believe but this statement suggests Cadillac will be back but Volvo won´t. One has to wonder if that´ll leave K-Pax to go (back) to Porsches again???
That's too bad, I enjoyed watching the Volvos out there. I thought I remembered hearing Pobst has a drive for Daytona, but I can't find the story at the moment.
Old 3 Jan 2014, 14:30 (Ref:3349992)   #13
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah, he's with Muehlner, but he usually is doing the 24 so I don't know if that'll be a full season gig or just a one off.
Old 3 Jan 2014, 14:32 (Ref:3349996)   #14
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I actually like the idea of no electronic aids as specified in GTD rules. Sports cars should rely on the skills of drivers to go fast.
Old 3 Jan 2014, 20:04 (Ref:3350120)   #15
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well....anti-lock brakes and traction control are more like safety features to me, attracting am and gentleman driver, who are desperately needed by this sport. What's more, I never really enjoyed the GT1 cars before 2009 locking up every corner with smoke.
Old 3 Jan 2014, 20:20 (Ref:3350133)   #16
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoestForEver View Post
Well....anti-lock brakes and traction control are more like safety features to me, attracting am and gentleman driver, who are desperately needed by this sport. What's more, I never really enjoyed the GT1 cars before 2009 locking up every corner with smoke.
Judging by the number of full season entrants in GTD, IMSA doesn't seem to be all that desparate...