Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 2 Aug 2013, 07:13 (Ref:3284906)   #1
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8ST - Te News, 2013 v2.0

Righty-ho, seeing as the mods wont re-open the old Te News thread, then I thought it was the right time to start another, hence the 'version 2.0'

Please post in this thread for all things V8ST news related. I guess for separate rounds people may want to start their own threads for each round.

Please be kind to each other, as I don't want to see this thread locked down for people being nasty/spiteful. This is for SuperTourer related items, not personal agendas and series bashing. For those of you who do not like the ST concept, then may I suggest you start your own threads based around your V8 racing preferences.

So, to get started, some things to chew over:

1) Greg Murphy looks to be on the cusp of his first ever career saloon car championship in either NZ or Aus. No doubt a very big deal in the Murphy camp, and no doubt one helluva monkey he would want of his back. Go Murph!

2) McLaughlins likely departure. Inevitable really, but will he be replaced, and if so, by who?

3) Will we see a better TV package come Taupo? It has been suggested we will, but does anyone know any firm details for this?

4) Will V8CC get their much deserved TV coverage at Taupo? I for one hope so, and I also think it should be embedded in the ST coverage, just like TV3 used to.

5) Will SVG be back for 2014?

6) When will we see the new VF? clearly they are at the dealerships now and I have been told the conversion would be an easy one. I would like to think that this could happen just as the enduros start, but at the same time I think it wont happen until R1 at Highlands next year.

But I think the biggie is......

7) Enduros are not too far off. Who will partner who? All I know at this stage is that Penny will partner Manuell, and there may be a pretty damn cool partner for Evans . I also believe that Walsh will partner with Heimgartner due to the damage to the BOC machine, but happy to be corrected

Will Jono Webb partner McLaughlin again or will he partner with SVG?

Murph and Perkins again? or could we even see Mr. Courtney head over, or even GT (based off what is happening at HRT this year). I'd say it will be Perkins as he seems to be a big part of that team, but who knows.

8) The i45....whats the go with it? will it be racing at Taupo or even on show? who will drive the machine?

9) Any news on the future of this class would be appreciated too. I think the Highlands thing with the GT86's is a good start, and I believe there will be a substantial TL field as well. Does this show some healing between ST and the rest of the motorsport community in NZ?

10) Would I be right in assuming the mechanical gremlins that popped up last year are now all sorted? If so, big ups to the ST guys

So many questions hence the new thread

As I said, please don't do your best to get this thread locked out. If you don't agree with something posted on here, then please be polite and respectful with your rebuttal, or start another thread.

So, who's up for posting their predictions for enduro partners??

Red lights out fellow tenthers

Last edited by NZSTfan; 2 Aug 2013 at 07:29.
Old 3 Aug 2013, 02:09 (Ref:3285242)   #2
onza
Rookie

onza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have lots of gossip but can't say to much at this stage....
Old 3 Aug 2013, 02:20 (Ref:3285247)   #3
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
HProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A trio of pics were uploaded onto the Pace Innovations Facebook page the other day of the team fixing the Ash Walsh car - so hopefully that means he'll be back for Taupo.

I can imagine SVG being back for 2014 (assuming he stays at Tekno of course).

If both Jr. and Sr. McLaughlin are saying bon voyage to the series, maybe the car will go up for tender?

I'd say Perkins will line up with Murph again. He's followed the M3 team to a few of the events. I recall seeing him in team gear at Hampton Downs.

As far as gossip goes, I do know that the list of support acts at the next Hampton Downs event is going to be rather large - something for everyone.
Old 3 Aug 2013, 03:47 (Ref:3285261)   #4
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HProject View Post
A trio of pics were uploaded onto the Pace Innovations Facebook page the other day of the team fixing the Ash Walsh car - so hopefully that means he'll be back for Taupo.

I can imagine SVG being back for 2014 (assuming he stays at Tekno of course).

If both Jr. and Sr. McLaughlin are saying bon voyage to the series, maybe the car will go up for tender?

I'd say Perkins will line up with Murph again. He's followed the M3 team to a few of the events. I recall seeing him in team gear at Hampton Downs.

As far as gossip goes, I do know that the list of support acts at the next Hampton Downs event is going to be rather large - something for everyone.
HP.
I spoke to Johnathon Webb at Queensland raceway last weekend and he said it was pretty much a done deal that he would be driving with Scott again in the upcoming enduro's. Likewise Jeroen Bleekemolen is confirmed to be driving with SVG.

Jonny Reid also said he has done a deal to do the Enduro's but did not want to say who with until after the official V8ST test day on the 13th August at Hampton Downs, when all will be revealed.

Chris Vanderdrift is also returning to pair up with Tim Edgell, so so far its all looking very positive for V8ST in the last 3 months of the year.
Old 3 Aug 2013, 05:15 (Ref:3285275)   #5
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Quote:
Originally Posted by onza View Post
I have lots of gossip but can't say to much at this stage....
Oh go on onza ya know you want to spill
Old 3 Aug 2013, 05:22 (Ref:3285277)   #6
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
So based of Marks projections it looks to be status quo for this year (NOT the terrible band of the late seventies that my dad drummed into me when I was young!)

Buggar about the 13th test day. I have to be in the capital that day so will miss out. No doubt HP will be there with his camera bringing us the goodies that we all enjoy

I hope your right HP about SVG and 2014. It would be great to think that the 'cream' of NZ motorsport is racing in the top series for saloon cars in NZ.

Jonny Reid is an interesting one, the obvious place for him would be IMS I would have thought?

And just another thing on Ash Walsh's car, there have been some repairs from what I can tell, but the big kink behind the RHS B pillar is still there. No doubt this is an easy fix, but I had heard rumours that the car wont be at Taupo and Ash will partner Andre for the enduros, which means the BOC car will not see out the sprint championship - Mark can you confirm or deny that? afterall the car is in your workshop .

All pitlane/paddock rumours though so who knows.

One thing I do seem fairly confident of now is that the series does have a very strong future in NZ and will not be pushed off the edge of a cliff like what was being suggested on here about a year ago.

Great stuff
Old 3 Aug 2013, 06:39 (Ref:3285286)   #7
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post

And just another thing on Ash Walsh's car, there have been some repairs from what I can tell, but the big kink behind the RHS B pillar is still there. No doubt this is an easy fix, but I had heard rumours that the car wont be at Taupo and Ash will partner Andre for the enduros, which means the BOC car will not see out the sprint championship - Mark can you confirm or deny that? afterall the car is in your workshop .

Great stuff
Yes Ash's car is based in my workshop, and I am happy to report that as of this evening the chassis is looking like brand new, just needs all the unpainted bits to be colour matched and it can be reassembled.

Mark Burn's [Burnsie] and another Pace Innovations fabricator flew in late on Thursday and spent yesterday and today replacing any damaged parts with brand new sections, Both Wayne 'Jacko' Anderson and I were amazed to see how much work they plowed through by lunch time yesterday.

Tomorrow they take all their gear and drive down to Levin to repair Mclennan's car which is no were as bad as was Ash's car. So for sure both these cars will be at Taupo.
Old 3 Aug 2013, 07:54 (Ref:3285294)   #8
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Awesome news Mark. The BOC car is one of my faves to look at as it has a very simple livery.
Thats some major workload undertaken then as I saw the car on Wednesday before lunch.
So by my reckoning it should be a pretty full field come the final sprint round at Taupo.
Old 3 Aug 2013, 21:44 (Ref:3285493)   #9
onza
Rookie

One thing I do seem fairly confident of now is that the series does have a very strong future in NZ and will not be pushed off the edge of a cliff like what was being suggested on here about a year ago.

One would like to think so but nothing is certain. There might be fewer cars at the enduros than what people think.
Old 4 Aug 2013, 00:03 (Ref:3285527)   #10
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by onza View Post

One would like to think so but nothing is certain. There might be fewer cars at the enduros than what people think.
Hi Onza,

I dont share your pessimism, whilst I dont think all 22 cars will make it on to the grid at Hampton Downs, I am confident that there will be 20 V8ST cars, and 40 drivers.

The final Pukekohe round could well see all 22 cars on the grid as I am working with a potential buyer for my Hyundai and would love to see that car debut before the end of the year. If it does come off the drivers will also surprise and delight the fans.
Old 4 Aug 2013, 02:07 (Ref:3285553)   #11
onza
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch;3oo85527
Hi Onza,

I dont share your pessimism, whilst I dont think all 22 cars will make it on to the grid at Hampton Downs, I am confident that there will be 20 V8ST cars, and 40 drivers.

The final Pukekohe round could well see all 22 cars on the grid as I am working with a potential buyer for my Hyundai and would love to see that car debut before the end of the year. If it does come off the drivers will also surprise and delight the fans.
I am hopeful of a good turn out Mark, and I would like to see you hyundai race aswell but there seems to be a lot of uncertainty surrounding the future. It's a shame but it's also reality.
Old 4 Aug 2013, 05:01 (Ref:3285571)   #12
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Has Ritchie Stanaway ever been mentioned for an enduro drive?
Reason I ask is a) he's a top kiwi racer and b) he's doing quite well with the porsches overseas.
Maybe he could drive the hyundai?
Old 4 Aug 2013, 06:24 (Ref:3285581)   #13
Blackpearl
Racer

Blackpearl is a back marker
Supports are as per normal, Mark finaly admits he owns the hyundai. 2 qualifying sessions on saturday just like the australian guys. Its taupo and it will be cold so cant see anyone wanting to go there.
Old 4 Aug 2013, 07:23 (Ref:3285593)   #14
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpearl View Post
Supports are as per normal, Mark finaly admits he owns the hyundai. 2 qualifying sessions on saturday just like the australian guys. Its taupo and it will be cold so cant see anyone wanting to go there.
Correct me if I am wrong but I dont believe I have ever denied owning the Hyundai, what I have consistently said is that I will not be running the car, I continue to talk to interested parties about purchasing the car and running in the Series, and I believe that will happen hopefully this year.
Old 4 Aug 2013, 08:05 (Ref:3285605)   #15
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
Who drives the I45 will depend on the cars owner's [not me] and I am sure they will make a press release, when they feel it is appropriate to do so.
going by this post.. you can see what BP was getting at
Old 4 Aug 2013, 08:17 (Ref:3285606)   #16
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually guys I think Mark was really making reference to the fact that it will depend on the cars owners at the time (not me). In other words I took it as that he will not be owning the car when it is raced as opposed as to who owns it at this present point in time for he has made it quite clear to all and sundry that he will not be running a race team in the future of this category.
Old 4 Aug 2013, 08:23 (Ref:3285610)   #17
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
going by this post.. you can see what BP was getting at
Fair comment. In hindsight I should have said "new owners"

The Hyundai was a "skunk-works" project that Paul Ceprnich and I dreamt up, in order to introduce a third brand to the mix. I financed the project with the intention of finding an interested third party to own and run the car, and that is still my objective.
Old 4 Aug 2013, 23:34 (Ref:3285897)   #18
CDM
Racer

CDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
Who owns the beautiful I45, Mark? We've largely been lead to believe that it was you all along, so this is a surprise.

So you must have missed this post (insert Tui advert here), or were quite happy to lead people down the garden path then....
Old 4 Aug 2013, 23:37 (Ref:3285900)   #19
CDM
Racer

So where are all the other cars anyway? Didn't the initial Series hype say all the cars/franchises were purchased? (24 from memory?)

The last couple of rounds have only seen 19 cars start. The 2nd International car has been sitting idle with obviously no-one wanting to buy or lease it, the Huyndai is apparently in the same boat. The other car (Ninkranz?) I'm sure was seen testing months ago yet no appearance... which also leaves two 'sold' franchises unaccounted for... Have these guys walked away from them or what??

On the other side I see that MRX have now sold another chassis, so although they are still low in numbers at least they are heading the right way...
Old 5 Aug 2013, 00:05 (Ref:3285911)   #20
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
So where are all the other cars anyway? Didn't the initial Series hype say all the cars/franchises were purchased? (24 from memory?)

The last couple of rounds have only seen 19 cars start. The 2nd International car has been sitting idle with obviously no-one wanting to buy or lease it, the Huyndai is apparently in the same boat. The other car (Ninkranz?) I'm sure was seen testing months ago yet no appearance... which also leaves two 'sold' franchises unaccounted for... Have these guys walked away from them or what??

On the other side I see that MRX have now sold another chassis, so although they are still low in numbers at least they are heading the right way...

Has there been another round since the Maverick car went testing? THe rounds are months apart, so "Not racing since testing months ago" doesn't mean a lot.

The Int. Motorsport car, perhaps there is a high cost involved in leasing from them that is the problem? Probably quite a few interested in doing it, but if Int Motorsport and a potential driver can't strike a price they agree on, the car won't move. As far as i'm aware all 24 were never labelled as sold, I thought the number was 22, and there are 22 cars out there (Maverick, Int Msport II and Hyundai being MIA at the moment).
Old 5 Aug 2013, 00:37 (Ref:3285916)   #21
CDM
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggy G View Post
Has there been another round since the Maverick car went testing? THe rounds are months apart, so "Not racing since testing months ago" doesn't mean a lot.
I knew it had a funny name....I just found 'Maverick Motorsport Group' on facebook & the pics of the car testing at Hampton were taken way back on the 20th April...

So yes there has been a round since then, but only the one....The calendar is far too drawn out for my liking!!
Old 5 Aug 2013, 00:46 (Ref:3285919)   #22
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
I agree with you CDM on the calendar....I too wish the rounds were closer together. Who knows for 2014, if the heads get their act together and some sort of V8ST/TLX category can be formed with the NZ Touring Car class made up of TL's then could we see more calendar events spread out evenly throughout the year??

Does anyone know what the CC is looking like for Taupo?
Old 5 Aug 2013, 06:09 (Ref:3285982)   #23
Swedish Brick
Racer

Swedish Brick has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Was 24 the max number set or was it 26?
Old 5 Aug 2013, 06:21 (Ref:3285988)   #24
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
I believe the cap was for 24 cars
Old 5 Aug 2013, 07:25 (Ref:3286012)   #25
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
I believe the cap was for 24 cars
Correct it is capped at 24 cars total of which 22 have been built and issued with Chassis numbers and logbook.