Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Jan 2005, 02:46 (Ref:1213494)   #1
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams FW27-Debuts

The new BMW WilliamsF1's car, FW27, will be launched to the public today, with the presentation commencing at 11:30 at the Valencia circuit.

The name of the teams second 2005 driver will also be announced. The FW27 will also be put through some initial runs by the team prior to the start of testing.

http://www.sportnetwork.net/main/s107/st65880.htm

Last edited by Led ZeppF1; 31 Jan 2005 at 02:47.
Old 31 Jan 2005, 08:32 (Ref:1213583)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oooh, can't wait to see who's gonna get the second seat!
Old 31 Jan 2005, 09:44 (Ref:1213614)   #3
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is there a webcast or anything?
Old 31 Jan 2005, 11:20 (Ref:1213682)   #4
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been searching all over, and this is the only shot (apart from a long distance fisheyed one) so far.

http://f1.racing-live.com/photos/200.../diapo_102.jpg
Old 31 Jan 2005, 11:25 (Ref:1213686)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ooo, a very high nose there twig. It may be exaggerated by the camera angle perhaps, but the gap between the nose and the wing seems bigger than some other cars.
Old 31 Jan 2005, 11:43 (Ref:1213691)   #6
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
it's huge compared to ferrari's 2004m

Ciao Marco
Old 31 Jan 2005, 11:50 (Ref:1213696)   #7
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth
it's huge compared to ferrari's 2004m
The whole car, or the gap under the nose?

Some first impressions (there are one or two other pictures knocking around now):

They've gone back to single keel, with twin-keel-like protrusions being present as mountings for turning vanes - a bit like McLaren, except that McLaren have gone for a different suspension geometry with a "zero-keel".

The sidepods just keep on getting smaller - very low from front to back. Chimneys are huge and blow over large winglets in the "Renault" way.

Can't see very well how the exhausts are done.

Front wing has a BAR-like centre dip - not quite as pronounced in its transition.
Old 31 Jan 2005, 11:51 (Ref:1213697)   #8
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.*******************/

Launch images
Old 31 Jan 2005, 12:42 (Ref:1213728)   #9
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
The whole car, or the gap under the nose?

gap .. i haven;t seen the whole car yet ..

Ciao Marco
Old 31 Jan 2005, 12:46 (Ref:1213733)   #10
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Doesn't look like too much of a "looker" from the pictures I can see.

I'll reserve my full judgement till we see pics later on from the track test.

EDIT: Pics are up...

http://www.f1racing.net/en/gallery.php?catID=1482

Last edited by Sodemo; 31 Jan 2005 at 12:49.
Old 31 Jan 2005, 12:46 (Ref:1213734)   #11
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.f1racing.nl/nl/gallery.php?catID=1482
Pictures without the lame watermark that sutton has....
Old 31 Jan 2005, 12:51 (Ref:1213738)   #12
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
just seen it - nothing massive to shout about - one for the techies to analyse I think
Old 31 Jan 2005, 13:44 (Ref:1213786)   #13
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
it's better than the car they started last year

Ciao Marco
Old 31 Jan 2005, 14:01 (Ref:1213800)   #14
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From the very blunt to the very pointy. The walrus was a good car, all the same - it had these very low sidepods which they have continued with, although they made them much more swoopy mid-season last year.

As a Williams fan I have to say that I am pretty pleased - they seem to be well up there in terms of packaging and are probably leading the way when it comes to the all-important sidepods and cut-away to the rear. They have also gone back to the single keel, which is encouraging considering that tyre usage is going to be critical this year (I wonder if that, rather than aerodynamics, was a factor in the McLaren changes to front suspension). Add in the good old BMW horses (I'd be surprised if Merc catch up this year, Renault ditto, and Honda have reliability issues already) and a couple of excellent drivers and there's plenty to get excited about for a Williams fan.
Old 31 Jan 2005, 14:52 (Ref:1213826)   #15
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All the new cars seem to be following along with the "swoopy" front wing shape, but I can't say that I find it very attractive..it looks very busy..but I guess if it works it works!
Old 31 Jan 2005, 16:48 (Ref:1213896)   #16
Lucylu
Rookie

Lucylu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just seen on the BBC website Heinfield has signed as the other driver...
Old 31 Jan 2005, 16:50 (Ref:1213898)   #17
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucylu
Just seen on the BBC website Heinfield has signed as the other driver...
Indeed! This is being discussed here:http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64895
Old 31 Jan 2005, 17:06 (Ref:1213909)   #18
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Don't like the car.
The front end looks too long and the nose is too high for my liking.

I am quite intrigued by the tiny sidepods, must cut down on drag...

Is the car longer than last years?

I think the best Williams of recent years for looks was the 2003 FW25.

Last edited by Sodemo; 31 Jan 2005 at 17:11.
Old 31 Jan 2005, 17:10 (Ref:1213912)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Tidy.

The most striking thing about this Williams, for me, is just how small it seems. It's tiny!

Although I'll probably find out that it's the biggest car out there once I read up on it!
Old 31 Jan 2005, 17:25 (Ref:1213922)   #20
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Apparently BMW had to can its development of the P85 engine (according to Dr Theissen) as the rules for the 2005 season were confirmed so late they had already spent X amount of $ in development, so much for saving engine manufacturer's money?!
He goes on to say that Williams BMW will use an evolution of last years P84 engine, which doesn't sound too good to me...

Last edited by Sodemo; 31 Jan 2005 at 17:26.
Old 31 Jan 2005, 17:27 (Ref:1213923)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well that is the logic of the sports governing body I'm afraid.....

That doesn't bode well, will they just have a development of the '04 engine in or a relatively untried, all new engine still? Because everyone else has brand new engines....
Old 31 Jan 2005, 17:57 (Ref:1213948)   #22
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Its interesting, ive just noticed the BMW signage has almost vanished, its just tucked away near the back of the car, obscured by a load of mini - wings, see this pic...

http://f1.racing-live.com/photos/200.../diapo_123.jpg

There is the big "BMW Power" on the back of the rear wing though I guess.

Last edited by Sodemo; 31 Jan 2005 at 17:59.
Old 31 Jan 2005, 18:07 (Ref:1213957)   #23
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster

There is the big "BMW Power" on the back of the rear wing though I guess.
Where the opposition can get a good look at it.
Old 31 Jan 2005, 18:08 (Ref:1213960)   #24
Giando
Racer

Giando should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new Williams seems nice to me.
Nothing revolutionary in particular, but some good evolutions of last year car.
It seems smaller than previous model and the whole design is more balanced.

I bet it will be a good contender.

G
Old 31 Jan 2005, 18:36 (Ref:1213986)   #25
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
bosch! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Car doesnt seem as radical as the preceding launches but performance is the real measure of beauty. Very high nose, they must be working off of a different aero theory.... again