Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25 May 2000, 20:21 (Ref:2741)   #1
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hot on the heels of kmchow's stunning Autosport-derived BTTC announcement last week, I have more news...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>BTCC adopts low-cost rules approach

British Touring Car Championship bosses have chosen a low-cost Super Touring formula to be the future of Britains premier tin-top category.
The decision ends months of speculation, and allows teams and manufacturers to plan ahead for 2001
According to BMP director Rob Bain: "We've almost taken the original 2001 regulations and worked backwards."
The new format will retain two-litre engines, but power will likely be around 270bhp, as apposed to the current 300bhp. Unlike the previous 2001 regulations, five and six-cylinder engines will be permitted in addition to the usual four-cylinder units.
A number of specified parts will be common to all cars, including a six-speed sequential gearbox.
All will use 17in wheels, 2in smaller than the current ST specification, but 2in bigger than a super production car.
An aerodynamic package has not been decided upon, but a cosmetic airdam and rear wing is almost certainly under consideration. Front wheel arches could also be modified.
Suspension will be road based, but some modifications will be permitted to strengthen key parts.
The changes are expected to slow lap times by four to five seconds.
"Manufacturers need value for mone," said Bain. It is hoped a new car will cost no more than £120,000.
Honda motorsport manager William de Braekeleer welcomed the regulations, but has not committed to them. "It's a good direction. At the moment I can't say if we'll participate - that's up to Honda UK." he said.
Leading independant Matt Neal has also backed the new regulations. They will allow his Team Dynamics outfit to buy cars direct from the manufacturers. However, as Neal pointed out: "You're still going to be against the big boys, and without putting myself down, they'll be employing the cream of the drivers."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What do you think? Are you happy with that? We've debated it to heck, and they've decided.

I think they're good. My only gripe is that they might allow front wheel arches to be modified. The wheels are 17in, the cars probably won't be as low (on road-derived suspension) so why bother?

What about the re-introduction of 5 and six cylinder powerplants? What other manufacturers could you see wanting to get involved? Who makes a 2-litre 6-pot?

Whaddya think?