Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Aug 2004, 11:50 (Ref:1069190)   #1
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Keeping Ralf's toys in the pram

In this quote from F1i, about recruiting Trulli to partner Ralf at Toyota in 2005, Gascoyne makes a pretty amusing remark about little Schumacher's temprament:

"…(Gascoyne) seems to think the Italian, 31, makes an ideal team-mate for the moody Ralf Schumacher. ''We need someone who will not wind him up,'' the Briton admitted. Schumacher, 29, also said Trulli would suit him 'fine' at Cologne."

Well that's a remark calculated to wind Ralf up in itself! Personally, I've gotten tired of Ralf's sulky attitude, so I'm looking forward to Trulli beating him - in a nice way of course.

Last edited by Glen; 17 Aug 2004 at 11:51.
Old 17 Aug 2004, 12:40 (Ref:1069247)   #2
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
*unexpectably climb agrees with Glen*
Old 17 Aug 2004, 13:42 (Ref:1069301)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
And I guess Mike knows more about Trulli than the rest of us from the days they worked together at Renault.
Old 17 Aug 2004, 13:47 (Ref:1069308)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And Jordan.
Old 17 Aug 2004, 13:48 (Ref:1069309)   #5
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Ahhh I was forgetting that one!
Old 17 Aug 2004, 13:48 (Ref:1069311)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
That was Ralf of course...
Old 17 Aug 2004, 13:53 (Ref:1069320)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No, Trulli was at Jordan with Mike Gascgoyne.

I think Mike joined midway through Ralf's 1998 season at the team.
Old 17 Aug 2004, 14:17 (Ref:1069348)   #8
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's an article/diary from Sam Michael at Silverstone in the current F1 Racing mag and he had some interesting comments about Ralf... Basically, he was just saying (without any prompting) how much the team needed Ralf back for his technical feedback. I know we all tend to say (almost as an afterthought) that his technical skills are better than Juan's, but it hadn't occurred to me how much it throws off their entire weekend. He wasn't being malicious at all, but mentioned that Juan couldn't take on the role that Ralf has in the team.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting. Despite what we may think, Williams need Ralf back and they know it.
Old 17 Aug 2004, 14:40 (Ref:1069362)   #9
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As a Juan-fan and a non-fan of sour-faced Ralf it pains me to say that I completely agree. JPM is all too often all at sea on car set-up and Williams will pay dearly in the closing races because of it. I think Juan's attitude to the car says it all really - he usually moans that Williams haven't given him a good enough car, as opposed to taking his share of the responsibility for making the car better... since he is comparitively weaker at car development he tends not to express that as being part of his job.

Toyota will be well placed on the other hand, with Ralf and Jarno - both very meticulous and technical workers. Good pairing for a team in their stage of life.

Mind you, williams have done exactly the right thing to rectify this particular weakness in their team for next year - Button and Webber both being extremely competent on set-up and development.
Old 17 Aug 2004, 15:01 (Ref:1069393)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Juan's problem is that he will always drive round the problem, rather than rectifying it. That said, even had Rafe been about these last couple of races, with the exception of the 2nd Williams driver, i doubt that the Williams would have been any further up the finishing order.
Old 17 Aug 2004, 15:05 (Ref:1069397)   #11
Glen
Veteran

With the kind of driving form that Ralf has been in (before his crash), his technical input is more useful to his team-mate than to himself! Maybe if Williams could get the tyre wear problem ironed out Montoya could creep up a place - his driving is as good as usual, but he can't go beyond a certain mark.

Last edited by Glen; 17 Aug 2004 at 15:07.
Old 17 Aug 2004, 15:21 (Ref:1069413)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Trulli can beat Ralf if he gets established in the team, and I agree that Ralf's main benefit to Williams this year has been in set-ups, which is JPM's one major weakness.

Mike Gascoyne has to be careful of saying things like thes; I can imagine Ralf taking offence, considering how thin-skinned he is.

Conversely, he might feel that the team is bearing his needs in mind, and choosing a driver to suit your existing driver is only a small step away from building a team around a driver.
Old 17 Aug 2004, 15:52 (Ref:1069444)   #13
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fully agree with the monty comments.
He's a great driver but he's not a setup genius.
Oh well.Wiliams will do OK next year.Jenson seems to do OK(?) and mark is certainly in tune with getting the best from a car
Old 17 Aug 2004, 21:23 (Ref:1069795)   #14
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One would have to say thats why they signed Webber and Button for next year.

The Grumpy1
Old 17 Aug 2004, 21:44 (Ref:1069819)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

It's funny how none of us, I assume, have worked as JPM's engineer, but many of us seem sure he lacks set up ability!

They've signed Webber and Button because Ralf and JPM quit the team.
Old 17 Aug 2004, 22:29 (Ref:1069879)   #16
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What's Kimi like setting up a car? Maybe Mac need to finish fifth so that they can have Wurz or Panis running on the Friday to find a setup for the drivers.

Last edited by 1200Datto27; 17 Aug 2004 at 22:31.
Old 17 Aug 2004, 22:42 (Ref:1069892)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kimi didn't have any problems with his setup at Silverstone or Hockenheim.

Or all of last year.
Old 18 Aug 2004, 09:24 (Ref:1070275)   #18
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just kimi has had problems with the car blowing up or failing on him.
Old 18 Aug 2004, 13:19 (Ref:1070467)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Isn't Coulthard widely regarded as being among the best at setup? That could be significant at McLaren, and they could suffer next season for finishing 4th or better this year, as they'd lose out on Friday testing.
Old 18 Aug 2004, 13:26 (Ref:1070475)   #20
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
But they don't particpate in Friday testing now, so I don't see why it should make any difference?
Old 18 Aug 2004, 13:36 (Ref:1070479)   #21
Kicking-back
Veteran

The team isn't going to put itself in a situation where it has drivers who don't know how to set up a car.

Ron knows more about the relative merits of Kimi, David and Juan than we do.
Old 18 Aug 2004, 13:40 (Ref:1070483)   #22
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
i think Kimi is a good car setter.... last year kimi's Mac seemed to be perfect and able to challenge the Ferraris even when it was the previous years car.... DC in most races looked all at sea being out qulied by Kimi easily... and whatever you think of Kimi he isnt a second quicker than DC
Old 18 Aug 2004, 13:43 (Ref:1070486)   #23
fog_shadow
Racer

fog_shadow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JPM quit, in all fairness Ralf was told to go fish.
Old 18 Aug 2004, 15:41 (Ref:1070589)   #24
hamsmith
Racer

hamsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Keeping Ralf's toys in the pram

Quote:
Originally posted by Glen

"…(Gascoyne) seems to think the Italian, 31, makes an ideal team-mate for the moody Ralf Schumacher. ''We need someone who will not wind him up,'' the Briton admitted. Schumacher, 29, also said Trulli would suit him 'fine' at Cologne."

Where did you get the quote from? i would like to see the full context in which it was written.

Did it occur to anyone that it might of been aimed at JPM? The guy was always winding Ralf up and the way he spoke about Ralf in public was a little unprofesional. You might find it hard to believe but not everyone wants to have a dig a ralf.
Old 18 Aug 2004, 15:50 (Ref:1070597)   #25
Glen
Veteran

I got it from F1i, like I said in my post. That's F1i.com I guess I should have said. well, www.F1i.com to be precise.

I just thought it was an amusing remark, that's all. It could have been aimed at JPM, or really any driver that is motivated to beat their team-mate. JV gave us a classic example of it with the Button season - the difference being that Button was able to make him regret it!