Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Mar 2005, 03:13 (Ref:1241905)   #1
buza
Racer

Australia
Warragul Australia
buza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Moffat to DJR

http://www.djr.com.au/wp_news/body_r...ArticleID=1128
Old 5 Mar 2005, 11:34 (Ref:1243210)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If his name was Joe Blow, would he get a 4 year DJR contract?

There are several drivers in utes, GTP, Nations Cup, and even (shock horror!!) a MoPro series that are as capable, if not more so than the one with the famous surname... but they dont have a 4 year deal, and a Supercar test drive in their pocket....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 5 Mar 2005, 11:39 (Ref:1243213)   #3
Also a Believer
Veteran

Also a Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NoFit,,Brook,, who?

Who gives a rats ass if you have a famous name and daddies association gets you a FORD drive.
Old 5 Mar 2005, 20:17 (Ref:1243550)   #4
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Geez GTR, surely you can see why James would be a fantastic asset to any team. Think of all that publicity, and the guy has some talent as well.
I think this is great news for the sport and I'm stoked young James has a secure future / gameplan for the next 4 years. The only thing that would make this even better would be if SBR were supplying Dick's engines.
Why can a guy because his dad was AMoffat ?
From what I understand, he's not relying on his dad to do all the hard work for him, if anything IMO it's a lil sad we don't see more of his old man giving him a hand.
Way to go James !
Old 5 Mar 2005, 21:26 (Ref:1243619)   #5
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if one M. Skaife or one G. Seton for example would be where they are today without their fathers.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 09:13 (Ref:1244186)   #6
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
yeah or jacques villeneuve or steven richards ot the kelly's
Old 6 Mar 2005, 10:12 (Ref:1244269)   #7
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
yeah or jacques villeneuve or steven richards ot the kelly's
Would you include JV? You could hardly say that his career was nurtured by his father... some awfully large boots to fill, without the benefit of having Gilles there to put it into some sort of perspective. Still, it's not what you know... is it?
Old 6 Mar 2005, 10:14 (Ref:1244271)   #8
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i say it because of the name, would he have got wheer he did if it wasnt for the name, we will never know, becasue he backed it up by winning the championship
Old 6 Mar 2005, 10:24 (Ref:1244277)   #9
pete55
Veteran

With these drivers mentioned the parents have not been able to bankroll them into the sport but through connections may have helped them on the path. These drivers have to perform once the door opens or they don't tend to have a long career. I think James Moffat will be around for a while.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 10:30 (Ref:1244280)   #10
Henry
Veteran

Australia
Fair enough. You would have to say that being the son of a famous father certainly helps raise one's profile; certianly it's raised James Moffat's profile... and fortuinately he seems up to the task of follwing it through with some ability and results. Back in the days of Mark Skaife and Seto's formative years, I would have argued that it would've been much easier to gain a profile through the proliferation of junior categories... such as the Laser series where Mark's profile was raised initially...

While there still may be the same level and number of opportunites, the profile afforded them by the fact that they aren't broadcast on the same day as the fearure events ie Supercars (as they once were), means that the combatants in these forumlae don't get their names mentioned in the same places and spaces in time as the stars of the day... and so are more dependent on the other trumps in their hand.

I don't begrudge them a drive... if they're not up to the task, I'm sure the likes of us will let them know...
Old 6 Mar 2005, 10:31 (Ref:1244284)   #11
Beejay17
Racer

Beejay17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry
Would you include JV? You could hardly say that his career was nurtured by his father... some awfully large boots to fill, without the benefit of having Gilles there to put it into some sort of perspective. Still, it's not what you know... is it?
Henry, JV's uncle is ..... Jacques Villeneuve, from what I recall, a onetime Formula Atlantic racer with connections. So, yes I'd include him along those lines.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 10:38 (Ref:1244288)   #12
Henry
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejay17
Henry, JV's uncle is ..... Jacques Villeneuve, from what I recall, a onetime Formula Atlantic racer with connections. So, yes I'd include him along those lines.
Y'know I'd barely pressed "submit" when I though of Uncle Jack. Would you say that the advantage of being the son of the father is also dependent on Dad's rep? I'm thinking of JV again, and how despite Gilles' immortality, he was regarded by many as a crazy and reckless type at the time.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 10:39 (Ref:1244292)   #13
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the point more was about guys like Steve Owen, Simon Kane, Paul Stokell, Stephen Brook, Lucio Cesario, Troy Dunstan, Ash Lowe, Terry Bosnjak, Phil Morriss, Rohan Onslow, Karl Reindler and all the other who have not had those sort of advantages.

But racing's always been that way.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 10:46 (Ref:1244297)   #14
Henry
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore
I think the point more was about guys like Steve Owen, Simon Kane, Paul Stokell, Stephen Brook, Lucio Cesario, Troy Dunstan, Ash Lowe, Terry Bosnjak, Phil Morriss, Rohan Onslow, Karl Reindler and all the other who have not had those sort of advantages.

But racing's always been that way.
There's no doubt that you're right on all counts Falc. While my personal experience has been limited to a bit of a go-karting joke in my early twenties, I tend to think that motor racing is a little like the music industry (an area where I've got marginally more experience)... in music, if you know three chords and a couple of like-minded guys (or girls), you can have yourself a pretty good time... if you have a bit of talent you can make a few people take notice... and at this stage, if you know somebody, there's no telling where you can go with a fair bit of hard graft... I've seen some unbelievably talented musos spend a long time doing nothing more than playing covers in pubs, for many reasons, including that they weren't well enough connected to gain an entry into the bigtime... same as I've seen some unworthy hacks go a long way...

Sound like something you've seen at the track?

Last edited by Henry; 6 Mar 2005 at 10:48. Reason: spelling... got one, missed heaps...
Old 6 Mar 2005, 10:48 (Ref:1244300)   #15
pete55
Veteran

Interesting name there in Simon Kane. I can't remember the other brothers Kane but i think they all had support from their parents in the beginning. I don't know why they dropped out of the sport though.