Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 8 May 2003, 18:15 (Ref:593822)   #1
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gilles, 21 years

please leave JV attacks for another thread

I was sadly born too late to witness this racer drive, but thanks to videos and books, I can now attest Gilles was the best racer ever.

RIP Gilles.
Old 8 May 2003, 18:33 (Ref:593843)   #2
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Gilles was of different ilk. I was lucky enough to see him drive, in Atlantics and F1. During his ascendence, my father was National Race Director and helped form the Player's Atlantic Series. His friend was the chief scruntineer. Gilles, Joanne and family used to camp beside us at the races that we would take the trailer to. He was a very serious guy at times, but could also be quite funny.

I remember at Trois Rivieres in 75' standing there as a kid, with my Dad, Romer and GV. Romer was taking the **** out of him for wrecking two cars in practise, and driving well over the limits. In a rather straight face he quickly retorted, "well if I don't go over the limits, how will I know where they are?"

A great loss for us all, he should have been a WDC. Cheers.
Old 8 May 2003, 18:37 (Ref:593847)   #3
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
The man who got me addicted to this sport.
Old 8 May 2003, 18:46 (Ref:593851)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gilles, was one of my favourite drivers.
Old 8 May 2003, 20:54 (Ref:593979)   #5
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP Gilles
Attached Thumbnails
gilles.jpg  
Old 8 May 2003, 21:23 (Ref:594003)   #6
Jack Man
Racer

Canada
Mississauga Ont Canada
Jack Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was no one braver. He will always be my hero.
Old 9 May 2003, 03:09 (Ref:594142)   #7
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As Jacques Laffite was heard to say at a very wet Watkins Glen..."I don't know why we bother, he is just in a different league then the rest of us."

Unfortunately, I can remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard the news, same with Ayrton, but at least I can also say I saw him race in person, and I haven't forgotten that, either.

R.I.P.
Old 9 May 2003, 03:24 (Ref:594147)   #8
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Attached Thumbnails
gillesv.jpg  
Old 9 May 2003, 18:03 (Ref:594784)   #9
TALAMASCA
Rookie

TALAMASCA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i never saw gille race but in told jv is his fathers son
Old 20 May 2003, 20:14 (Ref:605248)   #10
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by TALAMASCA
i never saw gille race but in told jv is his fathers son
I'm sorry but I dont think JV is in the same league as Gilles.
Old 23 May 2003, 15:30 (Ref:607997)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gilles: The greatest racer there ever was.
Old 29 May 2003, 01:10 (Ref:613046)   #12
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Certainly the _purest_ racer since Nuvolari.

I never got to see Gilles race, I've only seen video clips, but the legend speaks for itself.

I've said it before, what make a truly great driver are the legends. Fangio had the Nurburgring '57, Rosemeyer had the fogged-in '36 Eiffel GP, Senna had Monaco '84 and Donnington, Nuvolari the '48 Mille Miglia...

Gilles has no less than 5 legends to his name! Watkins Glen qualifying, the blowout/incredible save/3-wheeled lap/yelling at the mechanics at Zandvoort (my sig!), the battle with Arnoux, the freight train at Jarama, and the short-lived feud with Pironi.

The man was simply everything that modern F1 is not: Fearless, fair, and genuinely good-natured.

Imagine the legends if they'd had Spa and the Nurburgring when Gilles was racing.
Old 29 May 2003, 06:07 (Ref:613124)   #13
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Dont forget his Monaco win, when there was no way he should have been able to win in that unweildy turbo Ferrari, and Silverstoine in 1977 when in his first practice he deliberatly spun on every corner saying it was the quickest way to find the limit.
Old 29 May 2003, 11:48 (Ref:613415)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
...and I remember one amazing hunting on Reutteman ! Can't remember where (Monza ?), but Reutteman missed the corner and entered in an alternative track swinging through the plastic piles followed by Gilles ! FANTASTIC !!!
Old 30 May 2003, 15:13 (Ref:614837)   #15
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes, Gilles is truly one of the legends. He died doing what he spent his whole career doing - getting 110% out of cars that were not up to the job. No one since has had the same courage, car control, skill and guts (not even JV who I admire and respect). He is so much of the Ferrari legend, not to mention the #27 legend.
Old 30 May 2003, 16:02 (Ref:614904)   #16
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
a legend

Dijon 79 is such a classic
Old 2 Jun 2003, 01:45 (Ref:617333)   #17
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Direct Film! I remember them!

Unfortunately, Gilles died a few days before I was born, and I never had the chance to see him race in person like so many other lucky ones. He's a legend, larger than life.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes