Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 8 Sep 2000, 00:59 (Ref:35626)   #26
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We have a particularly dangerous stretch of highway between town and "Cottage Country" that this week is being saturated with police officers busting people for driving like they are on the last lap of Indianapolis. Yesterday's two Praf Awards go to the fellow who was clocked at 140 kph who explained that he was celebrating having just passed his driver's test ... and the leading man for Short Attention Span Theatre who was busted four times, FOUR TIMES, by the same officer, in the same afternoon, at speeds in excess of 165.

Not to mention the prat who explained that it was impossible for him to signal his unsafe lane change as he was steering with one hand and holding his cell phone with the other!
Old 8 Sep 2000, 05:46 (Ref:35679)   #27
White Van Man
Racer

White Van Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funniest thing I saw this week - a cab driver on the M25 who was holding his mobile on his shoulder, obviously speaking to a potential fair. I say obviously, because he had a map rested on the steering wheel, and was working out the cost of the fair using a calculator... whilst he passed me on the inside!! Scarey!
Old 8 Sep 2000, 07:31 (Ref:35685)   #28
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ooo that's scary!

Reminds me of the story I once read in "Car and Driver" about the fellow who bought a Volvo 244 in bright orange, so that he could be nice and safe, and highly visible.

Very soon after he took his nice new car home, he was waiting stationary at a stoplight, when a large Chevrolet Caprice Wagon slammed into the back of him, ramming him into the stream of traffic, and writing off the car totally.

After he was extracted from the wreck, he sought out the driver of the Chevy. "What," he demanded to know, "was she playing at?"

"I'm sorry, honey - I just plain never saw you."

"How can you not notice a dayglo orange Volvo at a red stoplight?"

"Oh, it happens - I was filling in the crossword."

If "Car and Driver" magazine is to be believed, that's a true story.
Old 8 Sep 2000, 16:56 (Ref:35762)   #29
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Right. Something a little different today.

I would like to publicly apologise to the driver of the green 1997 Toyota Corolla turning right on the main Radlett/St Albans roundabout interchange this afternoon.

Sorry for causing you to take evasive action, and sorry for irritating you enough to make you sound your horn for quite so long.

However, if you had actually been signalling, it would have helped - and being in the correct lane often gives people a clue as to your intentions.

And if you had been travelling at a slightly slower rate - say, the speed limit for that particular stretch of road - then I suspect I wouldn't have caused you a problem at all...
Old 8 Sep 2000, 17:04 (Ref:35769)   #30
White Van Man
Racer

White Van Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oooh, Tim, what DID you do ?! Then again, who care's!! They WERE driving a Toyota Carolla... deserve everything they got!!

Just don't pick on me when i'm on the road...!!
Old 8 Sep 2000, 17:10 (Ref:35773)   #31
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simple, WVM. On a busy roundabout in rush hour, I saw a gap, with only a Corolla going like a bat out of hell straight for the exit before mine. So I slotted in. Only after I was committed, did I realise that he was actually taking the longest route around the roundabout in an effort to complete a right turn at 40mph+!

In heavy traffic!

I would have been out of his way even if he hadn't tried to brake, but he was on the horn for an awful long time....

But I'm big enough to admit that I was at fault for assuming he was doing what he looked like he was doing.
Old 9 Sep 2000, 04:13 (Ref:35917)   #32
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Okay, Tim, here's mine for today:
The Isuzu Rodeo that nearly creamed me but cutting across two lanes behind me as I was traveling at 80 in the high speed left-hand lane a decent distance from the car in front of me. I was approaching my exit, so I was ready to move to the right to exit, I put my turn signal on, checked the mirrors, turned my head over my shoulder for a final check, started my first lane change and this HUGE SUV, passing illegally on the right going 20-25 MPH faster than surrounding traffic, dove for the space I was half into, needless to say, I gave way first. Then he pulled alongside, chatting on his cellphone and changed lanes again to take the space in front of me. Only he hadn't completed the pass yet when he made his turn without signalling. Thank God for ABS.

I watched him careen across four lanes of traffic using other cars like slalom gates and then back again.

By the time I reached my exit three miles up the road from our first near miss, he was four cars in front of me in the right hand lane.

He nearly killed himself and put countless other drivers at risk for ten seconds on the freeway.
Old 9 Sep 2000, 06:13 (Ref:35925)   #33
enzo
Racer

enzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had basicly the same experience a few months back, except the woman driving had a little kid playing with toys up on the rear window shelf !

Good thing for her that I'm not either a cop or homicidal, or she'd be in jail for a long time , or dead.
Old 12 Sep 2000, 16:41 (Ref:36746)   #34
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
After 36 hours of fuel pump rage, I just remembered a cautionary tale I needed to tell.

Yesterday, on the M3 outside Winchester, the powers that be decided to narrow the motorway by a lane. I think they were planning the foundations of a new bridge next to the service station that's being built.

As always happens on such occasions, all of us dutifully observed the abundant warning notices that we were about to lose the outside lane, and we were all safely funnelled into two lanes by the 400 yard marker.

All except for Richard Cranium in his repmobile. There's always one. Steaming at 80mph+ down the rows of traffic, he suddenly found an infantry of traffic cones in his way. So he simply started edging to the left, at an unabated speed. With the result that when his lane had finally disappeared, he was actually sharing a lane with a bronze Volvo estate.

He then treated the Volvo driver to all of the classics: one and two fingered salutes, flashing lights, shaking fist, tailgating, the works. And then he decided to braketest the rest of the queue who he had managed to force his way past.

We had a yellow Fiat Cinquecento nearly spin, a blue Peugeot 306 dive onto the shoulder, all four tyres smoking, I had the braking distance, but I still almost had a Seat Ibiza in my boot, who had been unsighted.

The culprit is registered R164MSN. Someone out there must know him. No drawing a veil to protect the blushes of the guilty, this man, through his recklessness, impatience and temper could easily have caused a multiple accident.

He's in his middle age, and his car R164MSN is a metallic green Ford Mondeo. Is he your neighbour? Then steer well clear - there's no telling what he might do.
Old 12 Sep 2000, 23:18 (Ref:36837)   #35
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Once upon a time when I lived in California and there was this Gas Crisis which meant my 15 mpg Gran Torino had to stay home in the garage a lot, I had a 100 cc motorcycle. I had just learned to ride it by practicing in parking lots, and finally one day I took it out onto the street for the first time. I was riding along, trying to remember how to shift (you shifted that kind of bike with your feet and did the clutch with your left hand, and when you've only been riding for two days, it can be a bit tricky - plus with a top speed of 45 mph, I spent a LOT of time shifting) - and I was goign along nicely in fifth - when suddenly out from the kerb stepped a woman with a baby buggy the size of a small bus! Not at the corner - in the middle of the block - straight in front of me. With amazing good fortune I did not hit her; I drove up onto the sidewalk and stalled. Then I went and screamed at her. She looked at me as if I had suddenly appeared from Dimension X and said, "Well, I thought you'd stop!" I explained at the top of my lungs that this was the very first day I had been out on the road on my motorcycle, and that she had very nearly killed me, herself, and her baby. she stood there with her mouth hanging open and a look of blank incomprehension on her face, and then she said, "Well that's just like a big bicycle with a motor, anyway." I asked her if she'd like to try lifting it up from where it lay on the sidewalk, and she rather contemptuously went over and tried to lift it one handed from the left side - and failed. Then I told her that this big heavy hunk of metal had been going 45 miles per hour and that even if I had jammed on the brake (assuming I had remembered how), it would have taken me half a block to stop, and her baby carriage would not have slowed me down much.

I hope she learned something. But if not, I hope the next motorcycle she stepped in front of didn't kill anybody but her.