Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 4 Oct 2000, 09:48 (Ref:40926)   #1
SNH
Racer

England
Staffordshire, England
SNH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe that originally most of Europe drove on the left-hand side of the road. Is this true? Why did they change?
Old 4 Oct 2000, 10:00 (Ref:40932)   #2
Nuvolari
Racer

Nuvolari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More sunlight. Better views.
Old 4 Oct 2000, 20:48 (Ref:41056)   #3
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Napoleon changed it. Really he did.

There's an excellent article on http://www.travel-library.com/genera...hich_side.html which covers the history of right and left side driving.
Old 4 Oct 2000, 22:27 (Ref:41084)   #4
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Except for Sweden, which was the last to switch over in, I believe, 1967.

I think for no other reason than harmonisation, and the fact that most people were already buying left hand drive cars because it was costing too much to import rhd models.

Can you imagine the logistics of the public information campaign to lead up to the switch?

I mean, every single sign and junction in the nation would have to be made compatible with the changeover, and then the switch would have to be instantaneous.

All it would take would be one person who forgets.....
Old 4 Oct 2000, 23:19 (Ref:41103)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The British seem marvelously ambidextrous at driving - witness Sarah who drove us to Le Mans last year, in a right hand drive car on the wrong side of the road all the way and she never had a bit of trouble. I can drive all right in Australia and New Zealand but have great difficulty in Britain because there is a lot more traffic.

I know the Americans adopted right side driving as they did English measurements - to stick a finger in the eye of some group they were currently out with. But I am not sure about Canada.
Old 5 Oct 2000, 03:19 (Ref:41138)   #6
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tim, I remember seeing a photo in my local Newspaper of the day the Swedes switched sides of the road. Its a very dim memory, but I recall an overhead shot of a terrible snarl.

I've never driven on the left, but I find crossing streets as a pedestrian in Britain rather tricky.

Old 5 Oct 2000, 03:58 (Ref:41144)   #7
IAM
Rookie

IAM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are still some other countries that drive on the "other"? side of the road?

Let me try this again. Don't they drive on the same side as England in Hong Kong and Malaysia?

Ian
Old 5 Oct 2000, 04:18 (Ref:41146)   #8
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I remember when the family went to the USA in 94, and we were absolutely terrified by the bus ride from the airport to the hotel....

I just read Gerards link, i always thought left, beause of how people got onto horses. Also when driving a manual car, isn't steering with your right hand, and changing gears with the left easier. (That is of course if you are right handed)

What do the rest of you think?

Also if goes on about the indicator- which side of the steering colomn they should be. And it is spot on. We have a Mondeo that was built in Britain, and it's indicator is on the wrong side, when compared to any other car we have ever owned. Quite confusing....nearly once ever time the car gets driven, the windscreen wipers turn on when approaching a turn....

Top link Gerard

Old 5 Oct 2000, 07:39 (Ref:41169)   #9
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
IAM, You're certainly right about Hong Kong driving on the left, but I don't recall about Malaysia.

The big surprise for me was to find that Japan also drives on the left. Which is why it's so tempting to hop across and buy one of those missiles with Skyline GT-R, or Lancer Evo 6 on the boot and ship it home.

As far as handling a car with controls round "the wrong way", I've never found it any more complicated having a car with left or right hand drive.

A few years ago, I had a left-hook Toyota which had been brought over from Germany, and which I happily drove around England for a few months. It did mean that for visibility's sake I had to start overtaking manouvres from further back, but the only other real problem was the Welsh policeman who pulled me over, went to the wrong side of the car, and found my passenger who was very nearly asleep after a very merry evening at the pub.

It was surprising just how long it took him to realise that the fellow on the other side of the car was waving to draw his attention to the steering wheel!

And, I might add, was wide awake and very sober.
Old 5 Oct 2000, 08:12 (Ref:41171)   #10
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I believe the current distribution between dirving on the left and driving on the right is approx. 1/3 to 2/3's, but a lot of the growing markets in the 3rd world drive on the left (that's British imperialism for you).
Old 5 Oct 2000, 11:52 (Ref:41216)   #11
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I'm in London I find it tricky to cross the roads as a pedestrian, you have to look the other way first from what you are used to. Also, there is a lot of traffic.

I've never driven in a country where you drive on the left side of the road, and if I would try, I think I would have to start somewhere with little traffic.

It's all got to do with habit, though, and I think if you were used to it, you would be able to drive equally good on both sides.
Old 5 Oct 2000, 12:28 (Ref:41225)   #12
SNH
Racer

England
Staffordshire, England
SNH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good site Gerard!
Old 5 Oct 2000, 19:37 (Ref:41303)   #13
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

There are some great countries to visit regarding left / right standards.

Jamaica drive on the left mostly, but with US import right handers, you get some very "interesting" views in the passenger seat.
Cuba drive on the right but with such a wide assortment of cars that there is no general rule. the maintanance standard also varies greatly, the louder the horn the poorer the brakes

The general rule is if ex English Imperial countries AND they play cricket then drive left. Most others on the right.

SL
Old 5 Oct 2000, 23:34 (Ref:41349)   #14
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by R
When I'm in London I find it tricky to cross the roads as a pedestrian...
So do I, because there are so many BLOODY HOMICIDAL LONDONERS driving down there. Gah
Old 6 Oct 2000, 02:40 (Ref:41370)   #15
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Terrific web site Gerard, do you have it posted on "The Pre surfer?"
Old 6 Oct 2000, 02:41 (Ref:41371)   #16
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
Whoa, guess not.
Old 6 Oct 2000, 23:22 (Ref:41538)   #17
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes EERO, it's on my website now, thanks to you.
Why didn't I think of that myself?