Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 22 May 2007, 03:19 (Ref:1918473)   #1
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Tour of FIM

In these days the Giro di Italia(?) is running through Italy (obviously) (and visiting racing circuits, BTW) (this succession of parenthesis is bad style), and in two months time we will have the Tour de France. The three big tours are exciting events.

Probably, in case someone is reading this, that someone is wondering how this nonsense is going to relate with bike racing. First of all they use (motorless) bikes in those Tours; secondly in the next paragraph I'll introduce the prober bike racing element.

I have thought (so to speak) that it could be interesting (let's define "interesting" another day) to have a time-aggregate classification in FIM GPs, just as they do in cycling.

Ok, in rallying they do the same, but we know rallying is not proper racing at all , it is rather more like slot racing . So come back to cycling, err... bike racing.

Time-aggregation has the big difficulty that one DNF means an automatic exclusion of the classification. So I have thought a scheme of non-counting worst results. I have "decided" to drop the worst half of results, meaning the worst (n-1)/2 results if n is odd, and the worst (n-2)/2 if n is even. So more than 50% of results are retained.

In each race, a difference in (whole) seconds respect the winner is done. Then we drop the worst results and we sum the rest. It will be the total time for the rider.

For example, Rossi has done so far:
QAT 3"
SPA 0"
TUR 19"
CHI 3"
FRA 54"

We drop TUR and CHI, and so his total time is 6". Stoner's time is 0", so Rossi is now 6 seconds behind Stoner. Easy? Probably not, but I have tried it.

Well, anyway, the classifications are as follows:
Code:
              0"  10"  20"  30"  40"  50"  60"
MotoGP:
              |
Stoner     0" <CS>
Rossi      6" |  <VR>
Pedrosa   23" |           <DP>
Melandri  38" |                  <MM>
Vermeulan 48" |                          <TE>
Elias     53" |
              |

250cc:
              |
Lorenzo   0"  <JL>
Dovizioso 0"  <AD>
Bautista  4   | <AB>
Angelis   9"  |   <AA>
              |

125cc:
              |
Pesek    0"   <LP>
Talmacsi 1"   |<GT>
Corsi    1"   |<SC>
Faubel   6"   |  <HF>
Gadea    8"   |   <SG>
              |
Old 22 May 2007, 03:21 (Ref:1918474)   #2
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
A postscript: I only count riders who have won or been second in at least one race.
Old 22 May 2007, 08:57 (Ref:1918572)   #3
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Incredible.

What can I say?

About DNFs, what about penalising them time for DNFs, or would that bias it one way or annother?
Old 22 May 2007, 09:08 (Ref:1918581)   #4
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
schummy .. you're a sick man . you know that ..
we love ya

Ciao Marco
Old 25 May 2007, 18:46 (Ref:1921185)   #5
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Talking about retirement penalties, I checked time differences of last unlapped finisher (MotoGP)
QAT 57"
ESP 1'03"
TUR 1'09"
CHN 57"
FRA 1'21"

For example, that time + 15 second penalty for everyone who is lapped (no matter how many times) and that time + 30 second penalty for everyone who DNFs.

And by the way, list of riders who have finished every race so far:
MotoGP
Stoner, Rossi, Melandri, Vermeulen, Hopkins, Guintoli
Lorenzo, Dovizioso, de Angelis, Lai, Wilairot, Laverty
Pesek, Talmacsi, Faubel, Olive, Espargaro, Smith, Ranseder, Nieto, Zanetti, Krummenacher, Tamburini, Aegerter, Litjens, van den Berg
Old 26 May 2007, 00:06 (Ref:1921321)   #6
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
About DNFs, what about penalising them time for DNFs, or would that bias it one way or annother?
Sorry for not answering earlier

As I discount almost half of races, usually DNFs don't enter in the calculations. If some DNF entered probably it would be convenient to use a penalty equivalence for it. I will have to think about how much... and Bleu's post is a hint for it
Old 26 May 2007, 00:10 (Ref:1921322)   #7
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

It's curious to see there are more people in the crazy 125cc finishing every race than in the other, more mature cats

BTW, Bleu, I think there is an error in 125cc: I am practically sure Pasini has finished every race.

Old 3 Jun 2007, 19:00 (Ref:1927811)   #8
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Update after GP Italy

After Mugello the Tour of FIM is going like this:
Code:
MotoGP:
              |
Stoner     0" <CS>
Rossi      1" |<VR>
Pedrosa   21" |          <DP>
Melandri  50" |                        <MM>
Vermeulen 66" |                                <CV>
Elias     67" |                                 <TE>
              |

250cc:
              |
Lorenzo   0"  <JL>
Bautista  4"  | <AB>
Dovizioso 5"  |  <AD>
Angelis   9"  |    <AA>
              |

125cc:
              |
Talmacsi 0"   <GT>
Pesek    2"   |<LP>
Faubel   5"   |  <HF>
Gadea    7"   |   <SG>
Corsi   16"   |       <SC>
              |
This stage has been decided mainly at sprint so no dramatic changes. In 125cc Pesek has lost the yellow maillot, now the leader is Talmacsi, but things are close between GT, LP, HF and even Gadea.

In 250cc, Dovizioso has just lost the second position to the amazing "jumper" Bautista. Anyway the stronger man, Lorenzo, is yet to make ground on his followers (to say that way).

MotoGP sees now how Rossi is almost touching Stoner. Pedrosa, the little spanish jumper, has done a good stage, running away with the italian, but he has too much lost time in former days. The rest of contenders (Melandri, Vermeulen, Elias) again lost ground; they are already hopelessly far from the lead.