Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Did Ferrari cheat and use team orders?
Yes 198 88.39%
No 26 11.61%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25 Jul 2010, 14:02 (Ref:2732287)   #26
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat12-Aircool View Post
Alonso is such a cry baby, he can't cope with a fast team mate....

If he is going to try then he's ready for it, whereas Alonso is such a coward.
I'm sorry, what? A coward!? I think that's very unfair. If he was such a coward then he wouldn't have had a go in the first place.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 14:02 (Ref:2732288)   #27
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
EJ thinks it is outrageous. What more of an argument do you need to say that it was OK?

He also thinks that the people watching are "an intellectual audience".

At least not in Italy and Spain !!!
Old 25 Jul 2010, 14:03 (Ref:2732289)   #28
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a stupid rule.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 14:05 (Ref:2732292)   #29
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Everyone is having to lie, or be economical with the truth. Which is a shame. McLaren were pulled up on this over Hungary in 2007.

However I hope nothing happens. Everything is clear. Some people can't cope so we have this silly situation we have now.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 14:05 (Ref:2732293)   #30
Shoe-maker
Racer

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Shoe-maker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Banning team orders was a silly rule. A complete overreaction to one incident. That's how the worst rules are made, when the authorities act in a reactionary fervour.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 14:05 (Ref:2732294)   #31
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sadly I was watching the TDF when the radio message went throgh to Felipe. What was said by Rob Smedley?

I've never liked team orders. I know why they exist. Doesn't mean it doesn't leave a sour taste in my mouth...
Old 25 Jul 2010, 14:05 (Ref:2732295)   #32
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwell View Post
We didnt get Horners interview down here in Australia. What did he say?
his usual dribble.

don't put up with Rust and co. - your computer is your friend - BBC after show
Old 25 Jul 2010, 14:08 (Ref:2732300)   #33
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm with TGF.
I'm not saying that I would do it*, but I understand it and TGF explained it well and with conviction.

*you'd have to think about it though!
Old 25 Jul 2010, 14:09 (Ref:2732302)   #34
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
TGF explains my view on this perfectly.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 14:10 (Ref:2732303)   #35
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoe-maker View Post
Banning team orders was a silly rule. A complete overreaction to one incident. That's how the worst rules are made, when the authorities act in a reactionary fervour.
I think banning team orders was a brilliant rule. The trouble is, you can never really stop them. If the FIA want to stop this kind of nonsense they need to come down hard on Ferrari and set a precedent. Then maybe we'll see a fair race in the same situation in the future.

I'm not optimistic about that happening though.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 14:10 (Ref:2732304)   #36
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus View Post
I'm sorry, what? A coward!? I think that's very unfair. If he was such a coward then he wouldn't have had a go in the first place.
Had a go of what?

Alonso always likes to be number 1 in every team he's been in, and runs away from any team mate battles. He ran away from Mclaren when Hamilton turned up and he doesn't want a strong driver to replace Massa at Ferrari. He's a chicken.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 14:11 (Ref:2732309)   #37
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
I understand it, but the simple fact of the matter is that the rules are the rules. Ok, we all know that it goes on - but it's generally subtle and hard to spot. This was blatent and is yet another example of how Ferrari consider themselves to be so above the rules that they don't need to bother hiding what they're doing.

If the rule is stupid, fine - get rid of the rule. But while the rule is in place, you do not obviously breach it like this and expect to get congratulated.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 14:13 (Ref:2732311)   #38
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Had a go of what?

Alonso always likes to be number 1 in every team he's been in, and runs away from any team mate battles. He ran away from Mclaren when Hamilton turned up and he doesn't want a strong driver to replace Massa at Ferrari. He's a chicken.
Er, when he caught Massa after the stops?

I don't mind criticism of a driver, I'm not even an Alonso fan but I found your comments pretty crass and unfair. People here opened up with criticism of Ferrari, you leapt in with immediate dismissals for Alonso.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 14:13 (Ref:2732312)   #39
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I see what you are saying EP. I hope that this shows the world how silly it is and it gets changed.
I suspect the rule was invented to quieten the outrage and wasn't meant to change anything. Which is, of course, silly.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 14:13 (Ref:2732313)   #40
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
The BBC have missed a trick here. They should have played Move Over Darling over the end credits.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 14:17 (Ref:2732316)   #41
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Oh, the simplicity of the poll question. Love it.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 14:17 (Ref:2732317)   #42
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Personally I think team orders spoil the race and I don't like them. But at the same time, I accept that as long as there are championships involved, teams are going to play the odds that will give them the best result for both the team and the driver most likely to gain them a champion.

However, the facts of the matter remain the same. Team orders, at this point in time, are against the rules. Breaches of the rules need to be penalised.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 14:17 (Ref:2732318)   #43
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
I didn't like the manouevre (sp?) either, and I really think Massa deserved the win.

However, I understand why Ferrari did it: given the championship situation pre-Hockenheim, does anyone really think Massa can win the title? If one Ferrari driver still can, then it's Alonso.
So, I understand the logic.

That said, If I were the Team Manager, I would have made clear in a pre-race meeting to both my drivers that IF a situation like this would occur (1-2 and close together, that the order should be Alonso-Massa).

In such a case, Alonso would have gotten by on lap 20-something when Massa wouldn't have been that resistant.

The end result would have been the same, except no-one would have complained afterwards.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 14:17 (Ref:2732319)   #44
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Oh, the simplicity of the poll question. Love it.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 14:18 (Ref:2732321)   #45
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
You got my vote because of it!
Old 25 Jul 2010, 14:18 (Ref:2732322)   #46
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Alonso is such a cry baby, he can't cope with a fast team mate. All the Hamilton bashers have to admit he's not afraid of a fight, he only checks the radio to see if Jenson IS going to try to overtake. If he is going to try then he's ready for it, whereas Alonso is such a coward.
Didnt Hamilton ask the team if they had instructed Jenson to not try to pass? Thats how I read it.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 14:19 (Ref:2732323)   #47
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
To me, it cuts to the heart of the question - was it team orders or not. If yes, then they cheated. If not, then they didn't!
Old 25 Jul 2010, 14:20 (Ref:2732326)   #48
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus View Post
Er, when he caught Massa after the stops?
He tried and failed, so as per usual he cries on the Radio to his team. He's done it before so many times with virtually every team mate he's had.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 14:21 (Ref:2732328)   #49
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin View Post
Personally I think team orders spoil the race and I don't like them. But at the same time, I accept that as long as there are championships involved, teams are going to play the odds that will give them the best result for both the team and the driver most likely to gain them a champion.

However, the facts of the matter remain the same. Team orders, at this point in time, are against the rules. Breaches of the rules need to be penalised.
They actually made the race interesting today. Especially all the post race interviews.

And really Massa has no chance of beating Fernando. He has generally been 0.5 seconds slower all season. He was slower today as well. Ferrari have done the best for their team IMO and I'd have done the same.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 14:22 (Ref:2732329)   #50
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
This is no worse than what Red Bull did last week with their wing situation.