Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Jun 2006, 19:12 (Ref:1631276)   #1
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JV resigns from GPDA

v12racing.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12racing.net
1997 Formula 1 World Champion Jacques Villeneuve has resigned from the Grand Prix Drivers Association following a meeting at Silverstone.

The BMW Sauber driver has been publicly critical of fellow driver Michael Schumacher after the Monaco qualifying session when Schumacher blocked the track at the end of qualifying, forcing drivers to abandon the laps. Schumacher was sent to the back of the grid by the FIA who were unhappy at the actions.

Today’s meeting at Silverstone resulted in no further action being taken against Schumacher by the GPDA. Villeneuve was unhappy at this and took the personal decision to leave the organisation.

"I can only give a personal opinion" Villeneuve said. "Personally I am not happy that someone can run the GPDA and act like that, that is just my personal opinion and I haven't discussed that with any other driver. Any discussion that will take place will be kept behind closed doors."

Jarno Trulli, GPDA director respected the decision.

"He doesn't want to be in the GPDA anymore. Fair enough. I am not saying he is right or wrong but that is the way he feels. I am not judging him. It is his decision. I am not saying it is right or wrong, he just thought for whatever reason not to be a part of the GPDA."
Old 10 Jun 2006, 19:22 (Ref:1631280)   #2
M Coupe
Racer

M Coupe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done to Jacques for sticking to his principles.

Wonder if De La Rosa will do the same?

Colin McRae 1968-2007
Old 10 Jun 2006, 20:16 (Ref:1631313)   #3
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't want to start a war of words here but this is quite symbolic. JV is a man of principle, and frankly, MS is not. MS should be the one resigning as head of the GDPA, but I doubt he even realises it!
Old 10 Jun 2006, 21:04 (Ref:1631336)   #4
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Well in, JV. Bold move. Some might say foolish, but he's stubbourn/sticking to his guns. Depends what way you look at it. I'm similar in that respect. I stick to my guns and i'm stubbourn lol

Selby
Old 10 Jun 2006, 21:08 (Ref:1631339)   #5
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I totally respect this. Backing up words with actions.

The thing is, Kirk, Michael insists he is innocent. Let us suppose he is in fact innocent. In that situation, well, there is absolutely no reason that he should feel that he should resign.
Old 10 Jun 2006, 21:25 (Ref:1631346)   #6
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
I totally respect this. Backing up words with actions.

The thing is, Kirk, Michael insists he is innocent. Let us suppose he is in fact innocent. In that situation, well, there is absolutely no reason that he should feel that he should resign.
When making the judgement about our opinion about whether or not hes innocent or not (and it is an opinion) you really have to take into account the past, no matter how long ago. Villeneuve has been on end of Schumacher of course. And iirc, he claimed innocense on that part too for a long long time when blatently he wasnt.

When you commit crimes and then do something similar later, of course your going to be questioned.
Old 10 Jun 2006, 21:33 (Ref:1631348)   #7
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
He did not claim innocence for a longtime at all.

I agree that people will form their opinions using the past. That does not mean it adds any support to the opinion. Yes, our opinions on it are mere opinions.

I was not saying he is innocent, or that I think he is innocent, or vice versa.

I was supposing his claims of innocence were backed up by reality.

In that situation there is no reason Michael should feel compelled to resign (as was suggested by Kirk).

If the opposite is true, then, yes, there is an argument on the necessity for resignation.

But resignation would mean an acknowledgement of guilt.

If he is in fact innocent, then it is not reasonable that he should perform an action that is a de facto admission of guilt.
Old 10 Jun 2006, 21:56 (Ref:1631351)   #8
goodhorsehymn
Racer

goodhorsehymn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fair play JV. Sticking to your guns and all that.
Old 10 Jun 2006, 21:57 (Ref:1631353)   #9
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Well if JV is doing this to make a point then he has succeeded ..It wont make one iota of difference to MS of course, and for some reason most of the other drivers seem satisfied with his explanation, although I thought that the atmosphere during the post Q interview was like an iceberg, of course not all the drivers turned up to that meeting..Well carry on JV I am sure you know what you are doing..
Old 10 Jun 2006, 22:04 (Ref:1631355)   #10
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
Quote:
I agree that people will form their opinions using the past. That does not mean it adds any support to the opinion.
I think that part is also an opinion. For me, Michael has been involved in so many questionable situations its really past the point where i can give him the benefit of the doubt any longer. Boy who creid wolf if you like. You have to draw the line where you stop beliving these are all accidents or mistakes. If for example someone has been involved in 100 dangerous driving accidents (exageration i know! Just an example!) and then gets involved with another one that looks blatently on purpose. Do you belive them when they say its an accident? Altho i type all that, we really dont want to get into a discussion over the incident again lol.

I did laugh at the bottom of this page One of the similar threads is "Schu criticised by fellow GPDA members". From Indy 2005!
Old 10 Jun 2006, 22:07 (Ref:1631358)   #11
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
The point I was getting at is that our opinions are irrelevant.

It is the reality that matters.
Old 10 Jun 2006, 22:31 (Ref:1631362)   #12
Kirk
Veteran

By not admitting any wrongdoing. I suppose MS has no choice now but to continue. As JV has said, we all make mistakes, its admitting them and moving on that is so difficult.

I hope De La Rosa follows suit but I doubt he will; I'm sure there are some other drivers who feel quite sheepish right about now.
Old 10 Jun 2006, 22:42 (Ref:1631366)   #13
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
If you're found with your hands in the till and the judge and jury find you guilty, that's the reality. You can say you're innocent until you're blue in the face, but the fact is you're not.

Anyway, this thread is about JV and I respect him for having the courage of his convictions.
Old 10 Jun 2006, 23:32 (Ref:1631384)   #14
LampCord
Racer

LampCord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesn't surprise me, JV's life seems to revolve around criticising MS these days. MS was more than adequately penalized for the incident at Monaco IMHO and this is just typical grandstanding. Since he can't beat MS on the track, he tries to beat him in the media.

With the money they're paying him and the results he's returning, maybe he should just go the whole 9 yards and retire from F1 altogether.
Old 10 Jun 2006, 23:50 (Ref:1631389)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LampCord
MS was more than adequately penalized for the incident at Monaco IMHO and this is just typical grandstanding.
MS wasn't penalized for causing a deliberate obstruction.The penalty for deliberate obstruction would be far greater,an offence he was found guilty of.

I often wonder now,what would have happened had he been let off the hook completely.What would the atmosphere and feelings towards MS be like in the Silverstone paddock now.

JV obviously feels that what he saw was deliberate.
Old 11 Jun 2006, 00:19 (Ref:1631396)   #16
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
No offense, but I find JV's comments just more grandstanding by "the only other former WDC still driving."

I am not going to get into a who has been cleaner/dirtier in their career thing here, but JV need look no further than his own presence on the track as a rolling chicane - many a fellow GPDA member had complained about his seeming inability to check his mirrors during his last seasons with BAR and during his season with Sauber. Guess what: he felt no need to admit he was wrong nor to apologize. Fair enough. I think that he should be focusing on his career, behavior, marriage etc rather than pontificating about how Michael should be doing this or that.

Michael was found to be in error, penalized and he moved on. Notice he did not whine to the Press, appeal the decision, bad-mouth the stewards or the other drivers who complained. He simply put his head down and got on with it.

Last edited by JohnSSC; 11 Jun 2006 at 00:22.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 11 Jun 2006, 00:26 (Ref:1631398)   #17
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
I dont understand what you mean. JV didnt come and tell us what he thought. He done so in provate. He hasnt even spoken to the press after leaving the GPDA. Only JArno Trulli has. JVs comments were made before the meeting. So this "battle him in the press" thing just isnt true otherwise the first thing he would have is gone running to anyone with a microphone.

Quote:
I think that he should be focusing on his career, behavior, marriage etc rather than pontificating about how Michael should be doing this or that.
I've never udnerstood comments like this. Is it not possible to be concentrating on your driving and home life, and have an opinion on other events at the same time?

At the end of the day, the press is coming to JV and asking what he thinks and he gives answers. He isnt running towards the press for it, as I've already said. So to suggest he needs to concentrate on other things before hes allowed to express an opinion on others situations really doesnt wash for me.

IMO what happened at Monaco, whether you think it was delbrate or not, effected everybody in the GPDA. He like anyone on the grid should be allowed an opinion on the situation.
Old 11 Jun 2006, 00:51 (Ref:1631409)   #18
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
deejay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What are you talking about? Private? Jacques hasn't shut up about the Monaco incident since it happened. He's been completely over-the-top. Most drivers stated an opinion at the time and moved on, but he's the only one who's continued to bang on about it - seems like it's just a personal grudge.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,3-2006260544,00.html

^^^ Comments by other people in that story suggest JV wouldn't have gotten a lot of support for his outbursts from the other drivers.

Last edited by deejay; 11 Jun 2006 at 00:59.
Old 11 Jun 2006, 00:56 (Ref:1631411)   #19
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
The press goes to JV simply because they know they'll get what they want - an opinion agaisnt Schumacher. If JV was really stirring it like your suggesting the first thing he would have done after that meeting is find someone with a microphone and spill his guts. But he didnt. The only person who didnt refuse to comment was Jarno Trulli.

btw, hes far from the "only" one whos continued to bang on about it. Keke Rosberg and Nico Rosberg have been quite vocal and Pedro de la Rosa was still demanding answers just yesterday. I dont see any reason for a personal grudge between Pedro and Michael, or Nico and Micharl, or Keke and Michael.

I didnt think JV would have the balls to walk, but he didnt seem to think twice about it. Wonder if Pedro will keep his word, or simply buckle

Last edited by the.cosmic.pope; 11 Jun 2006 at 00:58.
Old 11 Jun 2006, 01:02 (Ref:1631412)   #20
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
deejay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Oh yeah, I'm SURE this will be the last we hear from Jacques on this...
Old 11 Jun 2006, 01:11 (Ref:1631416)   #21
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
If JV really belives he did it wrong, why does time make it better?
Old 11 Jun 2006, 01:23 (Ref:1631419)   #22
Kirk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
No offense, but I find JV's comments just more grandstanding by "the only other former WDC still driving."

Michael was found to be in error, penalized and he moved on. Notice he did not whine to the Press, appeal the decision, bad-mouth the stewards or the other drivers who complained. He simply put his head down and got on with it.
But your words are offensive John. JV was asked and he answered with the truth. It hurts for some and you can call it grandstanding if you wish. I suppose for peope like you, you would rather hear a "no comment" from him and we could all keep our heads in the sand to this cheating *******.

As for MS, he has not moved on at all. He has typically lied through his teeth AGAIN and has proved once more that he would not hesitate to endanger other drivers in his selfish, arrogant style. Should this man be leading his group of peers in the name of safety. Absolutely NOT and it is a joke that he continues to do so.

Last edited by Knowlesy; 12 Jun 2006 at 16:24.
Old 11 Jun 2006, 03:41 (Ref:1631443)   #23
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good that JV stuck to his guns and resign. And i hope he brings de la Rosa with him on the way out.

Michael, rightly or wrongly, is punished at Monaco in as harsh as it is deserved, a move which in effect almost killed his chance at his 8th WDC.

And the fact is that at the meeting, GPDA members VOTE for the result, and the majority opted for Michael to stay. So pack your things JV and get moving.

It's no wonder many posters are keen to bring up "morals" and past issues. But if 1994 and 1997 are meant to be a factor, then Michael should not even be in the GPDA since then. Not after almost 10 years.

I'm glad for JV's return to form, but it seems that now he finally got half competitive again, his mouth starts shooting off again.

Another visible person who seem to make it a personal hobby of criticising Michael is dear Mr Jackie Stewart. Many other drivers/ex-stars have managed to behave more murture and class.

The fact, which many chose to ignore, is that Michael Schumacher and David Coulthard has been working and leading GPDA for a long time. I won't mind for a second if Michael got voted out, simply because it's not a job that benefits him in any way yet he does it without appreciation from the outside world.

And that many drivers whom i shall not mention are not even bothered joining, or involve themselves, in this important aspect of improving track and driving safety (rather spending time in their motorhomes, or shaking their legs). Frankly, it's amusing that drivers who can't be bothered to contribute, suddenly want to have a say in everything.

And many drivers would realise that without Michael Schumacher, GPDA would be a far weaker association in fighting and demanding from FIA/circuit owners/etc certain improvements or have their concerns heard.

But no..why bother. Schumacher should be out because let's just all dislike him for an incident which we WANT to think is wrong.

Step down from GPDA Michael, it'd be a lost to GPDA more than to the man himself.

While JV's departure barely makes a ripple.
Old 11 Jun 2006, 03:45 (Ref:1631444)   #24
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With tongue in cheek, JV quitting isn't really a big deal. He's probably not going to be around next season anyway.
Old 11 Jun 2006, 06:44 (Ref:1631466)   #25
Nado
Racer

Australia
Melbourne VIC
Nado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LampCord
Doesn't surprise me, JV's life seems to revolve around criticising MS these days. MS was more than adequately penalized for the incident at Monaco IMHO and this is just typical grandstanding. Since he can't beat MS on the track, he tries to beat him in the media.

With the money they're paying him and the results he's returning, maybe he should just go the whole 9 yards and retire from F1 altogether.
If JV really wanted to beat MS in the media he'd be talking more about what was said behind closed door. He no longer had confidence in the leaders of the association and thus he left. I would have done the same.