Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 28 Mar 2013, 07:18 (Ref:3225880)   #1
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Highlands Motorsport Park, the opening of a new race circuit

The opening of a new motorsport facility is always something special so who's all going to be in Central for a looksee this weekend?
Old 28 Mar 2013, 09:56 (Ref:3225923)   #2
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes agree 100% SM, this is a very special weekend indeed.

Highlands just looks great.

Interstingly enough i have spent this week in Chch doing my work and spent some time with the main contractor who constructed the track, and also tested the pavement and asphalt.

They have gone with a structural asphalt (S A/C) but its quite an odd choice. Turns out they have gone for a mix design similar to what is being used on new tracks in Europe etc.

If you remember a while back GB and myself were having some discussions on the track construction, and in particular the surfacing side of things.

Without going into too much detail (as its quite techy) they have gone for a very coarse densly graded A/C (mix 15, which means max stone size is 15mm, and evenly, or well graded matrix, i.e. stone size from 15mm to 75 micron). This means that it will be hard on tyres and it makes me think that this is to attract car manufacturers to the complex to test their new cars on surfaces that are similar to wearing courses used all around the world. On top of that it is also a race track, but i get the feeling that the mix design puts road car testing ahead of racing cars.

Dont get me wrong, it will still provide great grip and drainage, but on slicks, it will be hard on tyres. Nothing wrong with that at all, in fact its quite a clever move IMO as it opens the track to more 'customers'

So the surfacing is essentially a dual layer structural asphalt, which means that the pretty black stuff is not just there for sealing and looks, it is actually a load bearing layer, similar to a standard basecourse.

My understanding is the compacted granular 'base' has had a single coat chip seal applied as a membrane layer. On top of this is 50mm of mix 15, compacted to 98% of Marshall Density (an american based reference lab test). On top of that is a polymer modified bitumen mix 15 (also around 50mm thick) which will appear similar to most asphalts on NZ roads, but the polymer allows for more movement in the layer (in particular shear/lateral movement), but is still very strong and durable.

Quite a new approach for NZ tracks from what i can tell, but more in line with what goes on overseas.

I will be very interested to hear driver comments about grip and tyre wear.

All in all though, what a great facility in such an iconic part of NZ. And constructed very quickly and at a relatively cheap price.
Old 28 Mar 2013, 23:08 (Ref:3226202)   #3
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Would I be right to presume that the choice of surface will also be affected by the greater temperature and weather variations in that part of the country?
Old 29 Mar 2013, 00:01 (Ref:3226215)   #4
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Interesting thought Woolley, Temperatures range from below freezing point in winter through to 30deg plus in the summer all combined with a very low rainfall and a mid afternoon dry north west breeze all year round.

Back to the experts for this one, come in NZST fan.

Meanwhile time to slip into a pair of shorts, a tee shirt and some jandals and head off down there
Old 30 Mar 2013, 20:03 (Ref:3227022)   #5
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
Interesting thought Woolley, Temperatures range from below freezing point in winter through to 30deg plus in the summer all combined with a very low rainfall and a mid afternoon dry north west breeze all year round.

Back to the experts for this one, come in NZST fan.

Meanwhile time to slip into a pair of shorts, a tee shirt and some jandals and head off down there
Just heading back out to Highlands Motorsport Park in a few minuets, however our two V8ST car's, Murphy and Fogg, had a great time yesterday. Initially slipping and sliding their way round the 'green' new track surface before it started to clean up however the track surface itself will take several days of real racing to start to rubber up. The surface is anything but abrasive, both Angus and Murph's old used tyres came in looking like brand new after several laps with very little temperature build up.

The best time of the day was set by Craig Baird in Tony Quinn's brand new GT3 Mclaren at a 1.42.2 the next best time was set by Murph 1.44.4, and third best time was set by Tony Quinn himself in his GT3 Aston Martin.

Foggy lapped in the mid 1.46's on very shagged rubber, whilst Inky Tulloch went round in a best lap of 1.51.6 in his TLX car.

More to report tomorrow after the second day at this incredible new circuit, so good its hard not to rave about it.
Old 30 Mar 2013, 20:11 (Ref:3227026)   #6
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Times like this when I wish I was South island based...
Old 30 Mar 2013, 23:50 (Ref:3227071)   #7
ascott
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
ascott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a great track, the onboard footage from Baird and Fogg attest to this. Wouldn't want to run wide out of the chicane that leads up to the bridge though.

For a small country it's impressive the investment that has gone into tracks and facilities over the past decade or so - Taupo, Hampton Downs, Pukekohe, and of course Highlands. Great for fans.
Old 31 Mar 2013, 02:16 (Ref:3227096)   #8
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah totally agree ascott, the on-board footage on Foggs car (with presumably Murph on the mike?) makes the track look sensational.

Link here...
http://www.speedcafe.co.nz/2013/03/3...torsport-park/

I think the lack of abrasion tha Mark mentions is interestting and i think it could be down to three main things:

1) the rounded stone that is used in that part of the country
2) the grading at the bottom end of the curve (<2.36mm) is very dense (i.e. in engineering terms a large quantity of fines that pass the 75 micron sieve). The top end of the curve shows a presence of large stone (max 15mm) but it sits on the low side of the grading envelope which means those stones are there (for strength), but they are not overly abundant
3) the bitumen used in the top 50mm of the structural A/C is a very thick bitumen. Bitumens are classified on their softness and penetration at 25 DegC. Most bitumens are whats known as 80/120 grade (technically speaking this is the depth a standard needle will penetrate the bitumen at 25 degC.) However i believe the bitumen used in the upper layer of the A/C is 50/60 grade, so its thicker and more durable. Plus is has been polymer modified, which i would think may lead to a surface that is not only durable but also quite smooth. I think this is testament to Marks observations about tyre wear above.

The colleague who had filled me in on all this was also saying that some new tracks overseas are adopting 'Stone Mastic Asphalts' or SMA's. These are free draining, porous A/C's that are blended using 50/60 grade bitumen with poorly graded stones (ie. stones of the same size). Think of SMA as sealing chip turned into asphalt. This is the kind of surface you will find on most NZ motorways.

There are some clever people out there designing race mixes and they seem to be really thinking outside of the square, and i think Highlands is an example of this.

Their dual layer structural A/C will be very strong, and will more than likely handle the climatic extremes that Cromwell experiences. That is cold dry winters, with very warm, low rainfall summers.

Mark, you must be happy with the performance of the ST's compared to that balls-out McLaren and Aston.

So, the question begs, when will the ST's be racing there? One assumes it will be round 6, the 'South Island Spring Festival'

Hope everyone is having a great weekend

Last edited by NZSTfan; 31 Mar 2013 at 02:22.
Old 31 Mar 2013, 07:53 (Ref:3227140)   #9
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Just home from a great couple of days in Cromwell, best way to describe the facilities to you is simply this. Go see it for yourself, words simply cannot do it justice

The thing that did stand out for me was that everyone there was treating it as an occasion and not as an event or a meeting for it was an occasion to be celebrated
Old 31 Mar 2013, 10:13 (Ref:3227171)   #10
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fantastic looking circuit but wow, those bridge abutments (under and over) look very close and unforgiving.

Jim
Old 31 Mar 2013, 20:21 (Ref:3227353)   #11
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Just home from a great couple of days in Cromwell, best way to describe the facilities to you is simply this. Go see it for yourself, words simply cannot do it justice

The thing that did stand out for me was that everyone there was treating it as an occasion and not as an event or a meeting for it was an occasion to be celebrated
LeadFoot now Cromwell no egos.. no ****ing contest.. no mines better/bigger/faster than yours.. no *****ing on the net or in the media.. good stuff!!
Old 31 Mar 2013, 20:49 (Ref:3227369)   #12
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interesting video. Circuit looks good, one to sort the men from the boys. Some surprisingly close walls, and I wouldn't want to hit the end of the bridge either going under or over and I'm hoping there is/will be some protection in front of some of the trees (can't tell if there is on the video). Really don't want to hit a tree in a race car! An impressive facility, though, and I can't wait to see footage of it in proper use.
Old 31 Mar 2013, 23:16 (Ref:3227422)   #13
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hampton Downs being built, Pukekohe getting done up, now this, things are getting interesting in New Zealand.

New track looks brilliant, I'm interested to see what FIA grade it will get and if any international events come over.
Old 1 Apr 2013, 05:34 (Ref:3227469)   #14
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
Hampton Downs being built...
HD has been open since November 2009! Still to have the track extension, hospitality suites and control tower built though.

Shortage of cash (or to be fair, spending/wasting millions to fight two government departments) put HD's two directors behind the 8 ball way before day 1, as they too have always had plans for a museum, kart track, village with dining/shopping etc.

Brits heading to NZ to escape the northern winter now have just about as many tracks as the UK on which to race and their overall costs would be cheaper than racing at home, even allowing for air fares and shipping!
Old 1 Apr 2013, 06:07 (Ref:3227475)   #15
MalcolmC
Racer

New Zealand
Down there a bit
MalcolmC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
New track looks brilliant, I'm interested to see what FIA grade it will get and if any international events come over.
It's expected to host the final round of the Australian GT Championship in November.
http://www.australiangt.com.au/events
I think I might have to go to that.
Q. for those that attended this weekend, what was it like for spectators?
Old 1 Apr 2013, 07:33 (Ref:3227478)   #16
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Jerico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
Fantastic looking circuit but wow, those bridge abutments (under and over) look very close and unforgiving.

Jim
Hi Jim. Yes I too had a long look at the bridge. Great looking track all said tho.
Old 1 Apr 2013, 19:29 (Ref:3227694)   #17
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Highlands is a great example of what can be achieved when an individual with a strong clear vision and the wherewithal to do so, picks up and runs with the work that has already been done.
Old 1 Apr 2013, 22:51 (Ref:3227788)   #18
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
And it also helps a lot not having two Government departments opposing your every move - Taupo was also done very quickly and goes to show that if you can get around the red tape the rest falls into place very nicely...
Old 2 Apr 2013, 00:22 (Ref:3227813)   #19
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
And it also helps a lot not having two Government departments opposing your every move - Taupo was also done very quickly and goes to show that if you can get around the red tape the rest falls into place very nicely...
It still took the team quite a number of years plus the purchase of a few objectors properties to work their way through the consent proceses and the Resource Management Act. It sure wasn't plain sailing for them. It was probably about 8 -10 years ago that I first saw the plans for the circuit.
Old 2 Apr 2013, 01:02 (Ref:3227822)   #20
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
It still took the team quite a number of years plus the purchase of a few objectors properties to work their way through the consent proceses and the Resource Management Act. It sure wasn't plain sailing for them. It was probably about 8 -10 years ago that I first saw the plans for the circuit.
Wonder how long Taupo was in the inception before it became a reality?
Old 2 Apr 2013, 01:28 (Ref:3227831)   #21
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
Wonder how long Taupo was in the inception before it became a reality?
Which part, the origonal circuit or the extended and upgraded bit?
Old 2 Apr 2013, 04:49 (Ref:3227848)   #22
Old_Bob
Rookie

New Zealand
Southland - ex N.I.B
Old_Bob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmC View Post
Q. for those that attended this weekend, what was it like for spectators?
If there was 6-7000 there on the Saturday. Should easily fit another 3k in ok without getting into any viewing problems.
(providing the consent allows)

The bank beside the cart track gave an excellent view of multiple sections of the track & would be an excellent place to bring in some temperary stands for the November Aussie GT meeting?

Congratulations to the guys that endured the consent process over the last few years. Amazing Achievement..
As for Tony Quinn - 'Legend'....
Old 2 Apr 2013, 19:44 (Ref:3228201)   #23
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
A slightly different slant on the spectator aspect. From the in car video, there only seemed to be two places on the circuit where spectators had access.

So from my perspective and for those who go to get decent photographs, what was it like for an amateur photographer/spectator? Are spectators confined to a couple of enclosures or are they able to wander around for close up views of different corners? Are they so far back from the track that they need a 1000mm lens?

Bearing in mind the initial development was very much a motorists' country club type of arrangement, rather than a 340 days a year commercial track like HD or Taupo, this has a huge impact on the attractiveness for paying spectators.

There appears to be a lot of concrete very close to the track edge (rather like the 'new' Pukekohe) which I don't really understand, given they started with a clean sheet of paper and there is obviously plenty of land.
Old 2 Apr 2013, 20:07 (Ref:3228210)   #24
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I noticed the same but I guess it still "work in progress" as Tony was asking the drivers what revisions are necessary to the track?

I thought the track looked amazingly good, maybe the filter chicane before the 90 left should be reconsidered and definately some armco protection around the bridge parapet, that would not be good to hit at any speed!

As for the rest,well done to Tony Quinn and team
Old 2 Apr 2013, 21:22 (Ref:3228240)   #25
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Which part, the origonal circuit or the extended and upgraded bit?
The upgraded bit, I don't think I am old enough to remember the other bit being built...