Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 29 May 2005, 22:26 (Ref:1314137)   #1
Mike.ca
Racer

Mike.ca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bruno Injured / Replaced by Servia

For those who didn't see it, Bruno Junquiera was the victim of a particulary stupid accident at the Indy 500 today. AJ Foyt IV drove into him. Bruno was taken to Methodist Hospital. He is in stable condition but has been diagnosed with a concussion and fractures of the T-12 and L-1 vertebras that will require surgery on Monday.
Best wishes to Bruno.
Old 29 May 2005, 22:34 (Ref:1314143)   #2
Mike.ca
Racer

I know it's kind of cold-blooded of me but I can't help but wonder who will replace him at Milwaulkee....
Old 29 May 2005, 23:10 (Ref:1314178)   #3
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not cold-blooded, it's the obvious question as he probably won't be able to race for a few weeks. At least it'll give an opportunity to someone...

It's a tough break for Bruno, as he was amongst the leaders all day at Indy and as he had just picked up the lead here in Champ Car.
Old 29 May 2005, 23:21 (Ref:1314187)   #4
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank God he survived. That was a very terrible accident.
Old 29 May 2005, 23:48 (Ref:1314197)   #5
Mike.ca
Racer

According to Speedchannel, Bruno will be out for several months.
Old 30 May 2005, 00:29 (Ref:1314212)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hate ovals. I am thankful that he was not killed, and I wish with all my heart that our guys would not race there.

That ruins Bruno's best chance for the championship. Bruno is in my prayers and I pray that no more Champ Car drivers will risk their lives at that place.

Last edited by macdaddy; 30 May 2005 at 11:10.
Old 30 May 2005, 00:46 (Ref:1314216)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I guess his likely progress will be known better after the operation.

Let's hope he has a speedy recovery.
Old 30 May 2005, 00:46 (Ref:1314217)   #8
Mike.ca
Racer

Apparently out until October.
Old 30 May 2005, 00:53 (Ref:1314222)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TEAM CENTRIX DRIVER JUNQUEIRA TO HAVE SURGERY AFTER SPINAL INJURY DUE TO CONTACT; BOURDAIS FINISHED 12TH AFTER CONTACT WITH 1.5 LAPS TO GO IN INDY 500 WHILE FIFTH

Carl Haas, Co-Owner of Newman/Haas Racing: "Today's incident was very unfortunate. Bruno had been running an excellent race and he was very happy with the performance of the racecar. He was running in sixth place when on lap 77 there was contact made with the lapped car of A.J. Foyt IV. This is certainly not the way we had hoped to end the month of May, but Bruno is in the very capable hands of Dr. Terry Trammel and the medical team at Methodist Hospital. Thankfully, Bruno was conscious after the incident and the extent of his injuries and best course of treatment are still being determined."

Bruno Junqueira, No. 36 Team CENTRIX Honda/Panoz/Firestone: According to Dr. Henry Bock, IRL and IMS senior director of medical services: Bruno Junqueira has been diagnosed with a concussion and fractures of the T-12 and L-1 vertebras that will require surgery on Monday. He is stable and in fair condition at Methodist Hospital. Junqueira was unavailable for a statement.
Old 30 May 2005, 01:03 (Ref:1314228)   #10
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Terrible news. It didn't seem that bad on screen...I kind of ignored it (seen worse, yada yada).

Hope he makes a full recoverery. Just as it looked like he could take the Champcar series, this happens.

Last edited by macdaddy; 30 May 2005 at 02:55.
Old 30 May 2005, 01:07 (Ref:1314230)   #11
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.ca
I know it's kind of cold-blooded of me but I can't help but wonder who will replace him at Milwaulkee....
Well, IF Bruno is out till October, you'd expect they'd want to pick someone who would stand a chance of fighting for the title. I don't think the top Atlantic driver or 'nearly made it' would be it.

I'd expect they'd try and acquire a promising driver from one of the smaller teams. So far, there's quite a few to pick from...Glock, Servia, Ranger, Wirdheim, Bremer...they could all be bought out I'm sure.
Old 30 May 2005, 01:14 (Ref:1314235)   #12
fordtc87
Rookie

United States
Indianapolis, IN
fordtc87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about picking Cristiano back up? As for Bruno, it was a very hard hit. I refer to Aj IV as crash and that is what he did to our guy.

Last edited by macdaddy; 30 May 2005 at 02:56.
Old 30 May 2005, 01:33 (Ref:1314249)   #13
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say they should put Ryan Dalzell or Jon Fogerty in the car, they have rides in the ALMS, they should give Michael Valiente the ride.
Old 30 May 2005, 02:59 (Ref:1314278)   #14
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Let's discuss Bruno, his injuries, and his possible replacements.
Let's not use this thread to slam the IRL or any of its personalities.
Old 30 May 2005, 03:16 (Ref:1314285)   #15
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was cheering for Bruno in the race and I thought he just might take it out - he was looking very strong.

It was a terrible accident - thank goodness he is relatively ok.

All the best for a successful and speedy recovery.
Old 30 May 2005, 04:43 (Ref:1314309)   #16
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just because you are named Foyt it doesn't make you an Indy car driver....Maybe after 10 years in the series he'll actually run decent.

Get well soon Bruno.
Old 30 May 2005, 04:54 (Ref:1314311)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This accident could have happened in any oval race in any series - and having it happen in the Indy 500 is part of racing. You compete in such a race for potential huge benefits and there's always a downside.

Lets be pleased Bruno wasn't more badly hurt - I wish him a full and speedy recovery.

As for his replacement, I'd imagine it would be someone without a drive at the moment - Mario Haberfeld springs to mind - although after yesterday, Buddy Lazier springs to mind for Milwaukee at least
Old 30 May 2005, 11:33 (Ref:1314575)   #18
Liz
Veteran

I am not only anti-IRL 500; I don't like any oval racing for open wheel cars because they are demonstrably more dangerous than other forms of racing. But I think it is especially terrible that Bruno will lose a whole season and maybe more for the 'glory' of racing in something that would not even gain him any points. I notice his teammate was not impressed with the quality of racing either, but I will say no more in that regard as I did not see the race.

I am praying that Bruno will recover and be able to race again, and I vote for Haberfeld as sub until he gets well. I hope Zanardi will go to visit him when he can have visitors.
Old 30 May 2005, 12:15 (Ref:1314606)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Haberfeld would probably be the ideal replacement - we've all been waiting to see what he can do in a really competitive car. What happened to Bruno was unfortuante, but he felt the race was a risk worth taking. Oval racing in general is - it produces a level of speed and rush than most street courses can't match.
Old 30 May 2005, 12:48 (Ref:1314635)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bruno wasn't racing in the Indy 500 to score points - he was there because he wanted to win the Indy 500.

Zanardi is most likely too busy with his Touring Car programme to come over to the USA to visit Bruno.
Old 30 May 2005, 13:30 (Ref:1314671)   #21
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just watched the race on video after a weekend away, and I'm sorry to hear of Junqueira's injury - I wish him a speedy recovery.

That crash looked terrible when they replayed it at full speed. Just thank goodness for the integrity of the cars and the fact he hit the SAFER barrier - maybe it could have been so much worse. A few years ago that angle of impact would have surely resulted in leg injuries too.
Old 30 May 2005, 15:05 (Ref:1314756)   #22
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Racing is dangerous - anywhere.

For now, though, the important thing is for Bruno to get well.

Interesting question now facing N-H. I doubt that CDM is the answer as he is already obligated for the season. Who else is out there? Let's see (in no particular order):

1) Gidley
2) Moreno
3) Haberfeld
4) Verstappen
5) Valiante

These guys pop into my head - I am sure there are a number without a ride who also could be on the list.

Not sure if they could buy a guy from a smaller team as those are pay rides - if the $$ go (or get replaced) will the team still be on the grid? If so, then do we revert to the list above?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 30 May 2005, 15:08 (Ref:1314759)   #23
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
And not to get too far off-topic but there have been a number of drivers killed and injured at road courses. Ovals are more spectacularly dangerous but I do not believe them to be more dangerous statistically.

I think this particular topic is something that should be in it's own thread. The topic here is Bruno, his health and his potential replacement.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 30 May 2005, 16:11 (Ref:1314812)   #24
Mike.ca
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Well, IF Bruno is out till October, you'd expect they'd want to pick someone who would stand a chance of fighting for the title. I don't think the top Atlantic driver or 'nearly made it' would be it.

I'd expect they'd try and acquire a promising driver from one of the smaller teams. So far, there's quite a few to pick from...Glock, Servia, Ranger, Wirdheim, Bremer...they could all be bought out I'm sure.
An interesting notion, Hazard - one I hadn't really considered. My immediate reaction to reading your post was to hope that Ranger might get the ride as I'd love to see what he could do in a really competitive car. It was really obvious in the closing laps at Monterrey that Bruno's car could get the power down far better than Andrew's. As the old saying goes, "you can buy a Lola from Carl Haas, but you can't buy Carl Haas' Lola".

Upon further reflection, I came to the following conclusion: for all the dreams of global expansion, Champ Car is still a US based series. It needs some American race winners if it is to re-establish itself in its main market. I'd love to see RHR in a Newman-Haas car, but I don't see Gentilozzi letting him go - too much like an admission that Rocketsports isn't a top rank team (which it isn't). Still, it would be great for the series.

If N-H can't get a driver with talent and market appeal from within the series, who could it get? I'd suggest Townsend Bell. Yes, I know, his Champ Car debut was a disaster. I watched him in the IRL last year and it seemed to me that he had found the maturity to match his speed. It's easy to get into trouble in close quarters racing on fast ovals. He didn't. I believe he actually outscored his teammate, Scheckter, in the ten races he drove last year. With all of that oval racing experience, he would certainly be a good pick for Milwaulkee - and, IMHO, beyond.

While N-H would most likely pick someone with Champ Car experience for the balance of the season, Milwaulkee is less than a week away. If they need someone who is good on ovals at short notice, I'd suggest Phil Giebler. He is young, talented, American, good on ovals, and immediately available.
Old 30 May 2005, 16:40 (Ref:1314825)   #25
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bruno's accident was completely unneccessary, but that's what happens when you have field fillers in such a fast race. Hope he recovers quickly.
As for his replacement, Valiente tops my list, but how about some long shots like maybe Adrian Fernandez or Kenny Brack.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"