Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 3 Apr 2018, 08:11 (Ref:3812598)   #726
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
Which has what to do with the standard and quality of the racing?
Probably means good driving standards and a result that wasn’t decided in the office before the start. But don’t argue with the fanboys, it isn’t worth the waste of effort.
Old 3 Apr 2018, 08:37 (Ref:3812600)   #727
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Clearly some on here desperate to throw TCR UK under the bus for whatever reason they can imagine, but fact is the racing was pretty decent, and the grid was decent for a first event.

These things need time to grow.

And I'm sure it, or E-TCR UK will replace BTCC eventually.

And im not saying any time soon
Old 3 Apr 2018, 08:51 (Ref:3812605)   #728
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lines/Maximum have announced they are upgrading their Cupra to full sequential spec for Rd2 to help them fight for outright wins - that must mean they have intentions to run the full season
Old 3 Apr 2018, 09:00 (Ref:3812606)   #729
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I hope the series can take off and survive. However the lack of even basic reporting is clear to see. I didn’t even see a single article on Autosport about the event. Perhaps that says more about Autosport than TCR. Autosport should just rename itself to “F1 Gossip Clickbait”.
Old 3 Apr 2018, 10:15 (Ref:3812613)   #730
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
However the lack of even basic reporting is clear to see. I didn’t even see a single article on Autosport about the event
because autosport dont do reporting online of club racing. they only cover significant series.

thats why the stuff you see at the back of autosport magazine itself is in a section called 'club autosport' and which is where the TCRUK reports also are. its clearly designated as club racing.

dont shoot the messenger!
Old 3 Apr 2018, 10:42 (Ref:3812616)   #731
Tja
Racer

Tja should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED55 View Post
I think TCR uk debut layed down a decent marker, it has the potential to be a real affordable touring car series , Lots of so called top BTCC teams I heard through the grape vine ditched it because of the promotional side and the TCR lack of TV airtime . So that tells me they are in BTCC for ,cash first competition second . A TCR car has much greater potential to run in multi championships a BTCC car is 3 times the money , needs 50k spending on development at the end of each year ! and is worth nothing to anyone outside BTCC.

The World championship never adopted NGTC regs but it adopted TCR didnt it and with TCR electric potential its future proofing itself , I wonder where BTCC stance on electric is , Electric touring cars is coming for sure.
Of course the top teams will be interested in the financial side of it too.

The BTCC is in a very comfortable position at the moment. The grid is full of NGTC cars so they can follow how TCR develops and potentially adopt the regulations in the future. TCR is a great concept, but it's not without faults either. BOP didn't seem to work all that well last season with it swinging too far from one side to another far too often and new cars like the i30 coming in and smashing everyone else. The costs have also gone up already. Maximum prizing was changed and development of the cars is also paid for by the customer teams through upgrade packages.

Well done to the promoters on bringing TCR to the UK for now, let's see if they can keep it going. I think some of the criticism on here was fair. They've decided to go on their own, so they have to get their own crowds to the circuits and offer a good media package all by themselves. Attracting sponsors will be challenging and these cars aren't that cheap or that exciting either that I can see a lot of gentlemen drivers wanting to pay for it all.
Old 3 Apr 2018, 11:26 (Ref:3812620)   #732
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I didn’t even see a single article on Autosport about the event. Perhaps that says more about Autosport than TCR. Autosport should just rename itself to “F1 Gossip Clickbait”.
Autosport didn't have a journalist at the event.
Old 3 Apr 2018, 11:59 (Ref:3812624)   #733
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Probably couldn't get a ticket at the gate! 😁

In fairness, the TCR racing was better than anticipated; however, they need desperately to ditch whoever is marketing the series and pay an organisation with experience and talent... sponsors need value for money.

How many casual race goers even know what the series is? I spoke to a couple of dozen people (who were principally there for the other racing) who had no idea...

Attendance was higher than the organizers had expected I'm told. Only went myself on the flip of a coin in the end... Oulton being heads!
Old 3 Apr 2018, 12:10 (Ref:3812626)   #734
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find it astonishing to hear about people not knowing what TCR is in its fourth year of existence. Do these people live under a rock?

If the series can keep up the sort of entry it had a Silverstone for the rest of the year, then I think it'll be a good base to build from for the future.
Old 3 Apr 2018, 12:36 (Ref:3812632)   #735
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post

I think that is more an indication of where Autosport is heading than anything to do with TCR UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3 Apr 2018, 14:21 (Ref:3812640)   #736
keithcollantine
Rookie

keithcollantine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the quality of racing was alright, though I expected to see more cars.

Good to see they're going to Castle Combe - they need to be a bit innovative with venues and format to position themselves as different to the BTCC.
Old 3 Apr 2018, 18:36 (Ref:3812668)   #737
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
TCR UK is club racing, BTCC is professional racing. Each to its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4racer View Post
As for not being cheaper...I think a new BTCC car is over £300k, a new TCR car is around €127k for the i30 (around £112k at today’s rates). I think you will see BTCC adopt the TCR regs when NGT has run its course..just my point of view though 😊😊
I agree. Sooner or later, BTCC team owners will ask to allow TCR cars.
Old 3 Apr 2018, 18:50 (Ref:3812670)   #738
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
...and then Mr Gow & Co. lose control of technical regulations. Yes, boost and other parameters are tinkered with to keep the fields close, but you are guaranteed some racing as a result.

I'm not saying I agree with everything in BTCC, but compared to the dull dominance in F1 (which has been technical car dominance for years - Hamilton/Merc, Vettel/Red Bull, Schumacher/Ferrari etc.) we at least have the prospect of a race where the winner wasn't determined in a design or engineering facility months prior.

TCR certainly could succeed, certainly the ridiculously expensive WTCC shot itself creating a place there. Generally though, I know most of the BTCC teams are happy with the status quo... so don't expect any regs changed anytime soon.

Famous last words! 😁
Old 3 Apr 2018, 20:13 (Ref:3812672)   #739
CaptRustyNail
Racer

CaptRustyNail should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its Like the Top Gear Vs Grand Tour situation... why pick one.. enjoy both.
Old 3 Apr 2018, 20:15 (Ref:3812673)   #740
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRustyNail View Post
Best comment so far!
Old 3 Apr 2018, 20:52 (Ref:3812679)   #741
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRustyNail View Post
Nail, head.
Old 4 Apr 2018, 09:33 (Ref:3812758)   #742
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Did you hear that they might not do another series of Grand Tour after season 3? (Going OT here a little)
Old 4 Apr 2018, 09:39 (Ref:3812760)   #743
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Did you hear that they might not do another series of Grand Tour after season 3? (Going OT here a little)
And the Top Gear test track is being demolished... Maybe not the best analogy!
Old 4 Apr 2018, 10:02 (Ref:3812766)   #744
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
TCR UK is club racing, BTCC is professional racing. Each to its own.
Yet the vast majority of the BTCC field fund their racing the same way as many "club" racers do from sponsorship and personal funds. TCR isn't man and van racing which is what most people would think of as "club" racing. It's professional teams running expensive cars.
Old 4 Apr 2018, 10:38 (Ref:3812771)   #745
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Don’t feed the trolls! You won’t convert them as they have no clue what you are talking about...
Old 4 Apr 2018, 16:57 (Ref:3812833)   #746
HopAlong
Racer

HopAlong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do worry that TCR will go like GT3 and GT4, in that the cars will get out of control cost wise. Just look at the Golf, 2 and a half seasons and 2 update kits already. Cost cant be too much different between them with update kits, OEM spare parts prices and the fact a fair few teams change brands to move to a car with better BoP.

Would be interesting to see the difference in price between the a front fender for AMDs Audi S3 vs Audi Sports RS3, or a similar part for both spec of Civic.

On to TCR UK, I do think the series has great potential, though it does need more drivers though as each driver seems to have only 1 or 2 on the same skill level. The cars looked good on track and raced well and while the TCR spec hasn't quite done it for me thanks to the F1 circuits TCR int used, our circuits should hopefully show these cars in a better light.
Old 30 Apr 2018, 11:50 (Ref:3818354)   #747
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
No news since Silverstone. Are the next rounds still on etc?
Old 30 Apr 2018, 12:21 (Ref:3818364)   #748
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
I believe they are encouraging people with TCR spec cars to come out and play. By encouragement I mean waving cash... From what I hear there are a high single digit number of cars who are planning on showing up. Maybe more to come.
Old 4 May 2018, 10:40 (Ref:3819364)   #749
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Josh Price signed up to drive a Civic at Knockhill:

https://www.tcruk.co.uk/index.php/ne...e-at-knockhill
Old 4 May 2018, 10:53 (Ref:3819370)   #750
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 850Estate View Post
Josh Price signed up to drive a Civic at Knockhill:

https://www.tcruk.co.uk/index.php/ne...e-at-knockhill
One in - one out - Stewart Lines won't be at Knockhill as he's waiting on a gearbox for the SEAT.