Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 9 Oct 2010, 14:42 (Ref:2771994)   #1
davidjones
Rookie

England
Nottingham
davidjones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC in HD from 2011

So the BTCC is going to be available in HD from next year, having just got a HD TV, i'm loving this news! Full story from touring car times

And ITV have also announced a 3 year extension, no news on whether qualifying will be available on-line next year tho.
Old 9 Oct 2010, 15:27 (Ref:2772012)   #2
davidjones
Rookie

England
Nottingham
davidjones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if we all bombard itv with requests to make live qualifying a regular feature on their website by emailing viewerservices@itv.com we might get to see it again next year.
Old 9 Oct 2010, 16:55 (Ref:2772055)   #3
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent news!
Old 9 Oct 2010, 21:33 (Ref:2772185)   #4
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"So the BTCC is going to be available in HD from next year, having just got a HD TV, i'm loving this news"

If Alan Gow can do it why is Bernie so bl**dy slow?
Old 10 Oct 2010, 15:27 (Ref:2772646)   #5
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news but ITV 4 HD may not be free..
Old 10 Oct 2010, 15:44 (Ref:2772657)   #6
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The SpeCTator View Post
"So the BTCC is going to be available in HD from next year, having just got a HD TV, i'm loving this news"

If Alan Gow can do it why is Bernie so bl**dy slow?
Lol - says it all really, if a small national series can do it, why not one of the biggest "shows" on earth?
Old 10 Oct 2010, 15:48 (Ref:2772662)   #7
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The answer that is always given is that HD is available to such a small percentage of viewers that it is not worthwhile.

Having seen HD viewing figures for the UK's terrestrial channels, I don't see where the benefit is to those filming, but that's just me...
Old 12 Oct 2010, 13:36 (Ref:2773797)   #8
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ITV4 HD isn't even available with a Freeview HD box
Old 12 Oct 2010, 15:30 (Ref:2773859)   #9
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I've never have HD, I'm really in the "What's the point?" camp. As already pointed out, HD isn't a massive success right now, and for me, due to the cost and simply as I don't think it makes even that amount of difference to the picture quality, I'm not planning to go HD any time soon, and I don't really see why BTCC is. If you don't like the picture quality, go to the race live, as there's nothing better than that.
Old 12 Oct 2010, 17:15 (Ref:2773906)   #10
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
As I've never have HD, I'm really in the "What's the point?" camp. As already pointed out, HD isn't a massive success right now, and for me, due to the cost and simply as I don't think it makes even that amount of difference to the picture quality, I'm not planning to go HD any time soon, and I don't really see why BTCC is. If you don't like the picture quality, go to the race live, as there's nothing better than that.
I agree.

Won't make much difference to me either, even though I do have HD.

Only thing I'm impressed by is the fact that the BTCC can do it and F1 can't, or won't.
Old 12 Oct 2010, 17:46 (Ref:2773914)   #11
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyewat808 View Post
Only thing I'm impressed by is the fact that the BTCC can do it and F1 can't, or won't.
I seem to recall the fact that HD has not yet reached some parts of the world that F1 has.

Being a minor series, it is obviously a smaller audience, for BTCC so the decision to change can come sooner.

I don't expect F1 to change for at least a few years and when it does, I think it will be a resampled upscale rather than true 'filmed in HD'
Old 12 Oct 2010, 18:09 (Ref:2773925)   #12
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
I don't expect F1 to change for at least a few years and when it does, I think it will be a resampled upscale rather than true 'filmed in HD'
Not sure why you think that you'd have to wait years for F1 to appear unscaled, BBC 1 HD will launch in November this year, so next year F1 will appear in upscaled SD at least. Anyway, Bernie said over the Singapore GP weekend that F1 will be HD next year.
Old 12 Oct 2010, 18:13 (Ref:2773926)   #13
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
Anyway, Bernie said over the Singapore GP weekend that F1 will be HD next year.
Bernie says a lot of things, most of the time they turn out to be wrong.

But anyway...what's the big deal about HD anyway? Just to take more money away from us?
Old 12 Oct 2010, 18:36 (Ref:2773939)   #14
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I bet you haven't ever watched WTCC on Eurosport HD?
Old 12 Oct 2010, 18:44 (Ref:2773943)   #15
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
Not sure why you think that you'd have to wait years for F1 to appear unscaled, BBC 1 HD will launch in November this year, so next year F1 will appear in upscaled SD at least. Anyway, Bernie said over the Singapore GP weekend that F1 will be HD next year.
The BBC HD feed is probably their own upscaling, most likely back here in the UK before it gets rebroadcast, rather than the official FOM feed being provided pre-upscaled (is that really a word??)
Old 12 Oct 2010, 18:57 (Ref:2773951)   #16
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_For_Pole View Post
I bet you haven't ever watched WTCC on Eurosport HD?
I have. Sure its impressive, but like I've said on other threads, I'd rather the money went towards more choice in cameras, sound etc - onboards, different commentary perhaps (not saying that the current commentary is bad for the WTCC, though for F1... ). I want something like F1 Digital Plus - far more satisfying in terms of viewing pleasure than what is, lets be honest, essentially TV at a higher resolution
Old 12 Oct 2010, 19:19 (Ref:2773962)   #17
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyewat808 View Post
I have. Sure its impressive, but like I've said on other threads, I'd rather the money went towards more choice in cameras, sound etc - onboards, different commentary perhaps (not saying that the current commentary is bad for the WTCC, though for F1... ). I want something like F1 Digital Plus - far more satisfying in terms of viewing pleasure than what is, lets be honest, essentially TV at a higher resolution
Ditto. I've never seen anything in HD but the number of people who don't have HD over the number of people who do speaks volumes. I don't see why it's worth the money.

There's a heck of a lot more things I'd like to see in BTCC and F1 over HD coverage to be honest.
Old 12 Oct 2010, 19:34 (Ref:2773969)   #18
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wonder if the onboard cameras will be HD? They certainly need improving.
Old 12 Oct 2010, 20:00 (Ref:2773984)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Ditto. I've never seen anything in HD but the number of people who don't have HD over the number of people who do speaks volumes. I don't see why it's worth the money.
What was the uptake in colour telly like. Was that overnight? Why would we expect HD uptake to be overnight?
I understood the numbers were increasing quickly.

Also it is, of course, chicken and egg. Extend the coverage and more will uptake. Although I'm not sure people buy new tellies for TC, but for TC and F1 and Cricket and ... and Strictly they may do...

I don't think some of these things you talk about spending the money on are mutually exclusive. And the broadcasts need to be HD to keep up.

However all I want is telly in what is essentially higher definition.
Old 12 Oct 2010, 21:48 (Ref:2774044)   #20
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I bet it will only be 720P or maybe even 720i, but its better than nothing I suppose. I very much doubt it will be 1080P, but I am prepared to be wrong!
Old 13 Oct 2010, 00:23 (Ref:2774096)   #21
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
BTCC probably has some of the worst on-boards possible! What ever happened to the classic in-between-the-front-seats type camera that looked out the front window?
Old 13 Oct 2010, 01:41 (Ref:2774114)   #22
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1 View Post
BTCC probably has some of the worst on-boards possible! What ever happened to the classic in-between-the-front-seats type camera that looked out the front window?
That ideal on-board shot is not possible, as the BTCC spycam is mounted on rollcage in that very position.
Old 13 Oct 2010, 06:46 (Ref:2774167)   #23
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
That ideal on-board shot is not possible, as the BTCC spycam is mounted on rollcage in that very position.
As I have said countless times in the past, the inside of a saloon car is a pretty big place and these cameras are tiny. I am sure there is room alongside these cameras for a mounted camera showing the view ahead, drivers arms, steering wheel etc.
Old 13 Oct 2010, 06:53 (Ref:2774172)   #24
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I don't think some of these things you talk about spending the money on are mutually exclusive. And the broadcasts need to be HD to keep up.
I'd disagree. You can read the numbers of the cars, the names on the windows, know who it is and easily distinguish the cars already without having to go HD. I find the picture quality already brilliant, so I just see it as a waste when the money could go to more worthwhile things, like new, and more, angles, team radio, etc, etc.

HD's been around for how long now? There's not a massive uptake in the number of people upgrading to HD like there was for color TV. I have to agree on Bernie with this one, there's no real need for HD at all. People should either get glasses or get to a race live. lol
Old 13 Oct 2010, 08:54 (Ref:2774224)   #25
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Ah, good objective criticism. . . why not actually see HD before you pontificate on its worth?

Take it from someone who has an HD TV - it's much better than SD!